Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2016, 20:20   #31

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Wheel cover or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
If you are ever going to touch the wheel, you may like some form of a cover. I found that a leather cover wants a canvas cover, in port.

Or buy an AP.

b.
B, would you care to expand that bit about leather needing a cover in port, please? I don't get it...

Jim
Old 19-05-2016, 05:59   #32

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
B, would you care to expand that bit about leather needing a cover in port, please? I don't get it...

Jim
I meant aesthetics and longevity.

On the boats I sail when there is leather on the wheel, there is also a canvas cover to keep the sun and the elements from the leather while in port.

Leather cover left in the sun and rain gets ugly and weak pretty soon.

So, in a way, we protect the protection ...

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 16:40   #33

Boat: Tayana 52

The foam under the leather makes it more tactile.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 00:29   #34

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I meant aesthetics and longevity.

On the boats I sail when there is leather on the wheel, there is also a canvas cover to keep the sun and the elements from the leather while in port.

Leather cover left in the sun and rain gets ugly and weak pretty soon.

So, in a way, we protect the protection ...

b.
That is an interesting observation, but one which i have not shared.

Our current cover was made from some black finished leather (I believe bovine, but not sure). It has been in the sun and rain for over 4 years now, no signs of weakness, and some discoloration. We have retouched the finish with boot polish... looks great for a couple of months before fading, but it only takes a fw minutes to reapply if you feel the need.

I guess we will have to disagree on this subject... I find leather to be pretty durable, and not require protection.

An aside: I've noticed that some folks feel the need to cover bare s/s wheels and winches as well. Sheesh...

Jim
Old 20-05-2016, 02:30   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I appreciate this question. This allows me to add one more thing to the list of items for me not to worry about. I try to keep my "carefree" list longer than my "concerns" list, but it's a tough job!
Old 20-05-2016, 02:55   #36
cruiser

We've had it both ways, a covered wheel wins without question. When we didn't have a wheel cover, obviously... we didn't know the difference.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 04:54   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
IIRC, that sort of wrapping is called coachwhipping. It is not much more time consuming than simple wrapping of the twine, and has the advantage of maintaining tightness as you go... no need to go back and milk the slack out as Livia did. Uses slightly more twine, but gives a really good gripping surface.

But I like leather better!!

Jim
FWIW:
Ted Brewer on Coachwhipping:

“I noted the article “Coachwhipping the Wheel” (March 2013) and I have to advise Good Old Boat readers that it is the worst thing you can do to your boat if you plan to head offshore for any length of time. My own experience with a coachwhipped wheel dates back to the mid 1960s. (That really dates me, eh?)

I was working for Bill Luders at the time and the builders of the Luders 33 wanted crew for a SORC race from Florida to the Bahamas. So Bill volunteered my services, as well as those of Alan McDonald, the yard rigging whiz, as crew. It sounded like a great vacation, salary plus all expenses paid, and it was — except for one thing: that Luders 33 had fancy coachwhipping on her wheel.

The steering wheel certainly looked very nautical and pretty as we sailed across the start line. But that afternoon it began to blow from the north and we were on a hard thrash to windward in heavy Gulf Stream seas. Unfortunately, there was not one pair of gloves aboard the yacht and the constant work at the wheel, combined with salt spray, soon started to seriously chafe our hands. By morning, none of our merry crew could touch the wheel as our hands were so raw and painful. We could not touch the rim and finally had to use the spokes to steer the boat until, at dawn, Alan took his knife and cut off the coachwhipping. Blessed relief, we had a slick, smooth, chromed wheel sliding painlessly through our hands as we fought the seas.

So, if anyone wants my advice, forget coachwhipping. Elkhide leather on a wheel is wonderfully forgiving, and it looks great. But coachwhipping is for boat shows and harbors, not for bluewater sailing!”

–Ted Brewer

Good Old Boat - April 2013 Newsletter

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 05:50   #38

Boat: a sailing boat

Yes. This may have something to do with the kind and colour of leather used. Also with bimini or lack of.

Here we mostly use light gray or green tinted fair fuzzy leather that some call 'elk'. Suede like, light grade. If you wash it after every passage and brush it to keep the look, it will last only 3 or 4 seasons if left unprotected in the sun & rain.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 06:00   #39

Boat: Tartan 4100

Gord: Interesting article from Ted Brewer, I can see his point

My 1st boat was a tiller steered, so wood there and my other two came with leather already on the wheel. On my 37, the leather was a smooth surface and over time, it showed a lot of nicks and wear, even though I would touch up the surface with leather paint from an automotive supply place.
My current boat came with a suede surfaced leather and I prefer it over the smooth for its grip and it also has a little cushion under it. The suede doesn't show the nicks and wear the way the smooth surface did. BTW, I had Sunbrella covers on both wheels to help protect it.
Tom
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel