Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2021, 14:13   #31

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Wheel steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
I think that is just another thing that comes through practice and familiarity with the boat, rather than wheel vs tiller.

But I do agree that all wheels should have a mark at top dead centre as a minimum so that it's easy to always know the rudder position when maneuvering.

Coming from race boats orginally I'm very used to having marks and presets for most things, but this is a good habit for cruising too. It makes life much easier, especially when short handed.

As a note on wheel steering, the TDC mark works fine with cable driven or other mechanical steering. It's useless with hydraulic, because of a few things: the wheel doesn't move with autopilot (so if you take over with the rudders off center, your mark would be wrong) and if you hit full rudder hard enough to push some fluid through the relief valves, then your center mark will shift.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 14:18   #32

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Fair point, but not many monohull sailing boats in the 30-32ft range that is being discussed by the OP have hydraulic steering.

And of course if they do, they should also have a rudder indicator gauge / display.

That takes the place of the top dead centre mark on the wheel.

The real point is that even with a wheel (as opposed to a tiller) - you should still always have the ability know what the rudder angle / position is.

Then it is just about familiarity with the boat.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 22:52   #33

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGRodems View Post
I have sailed both, racing and cruising. One advantage of a wheel is that you can drive from the low side comfortably. It is an advantage to be able to see traffic behind the big racing genoa while the crew is on the high side.
I have a tiller but I almost always sit on the leeward side, and steer with my knee, or a tiller extension. Just more comfortable. In fact sometimes I'll set the tiller extension length and let it rest jammed against the leeward coaming. She sails along pretty well by herself that way too. I know you didn't mention this but IMO if a boat has so much helm that that is uncomfortable, it may just have too much helm and needs sail trimming... or is overpowered.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:46   #34

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Black View Post
I have always single handed an Alberg 30 with tiller steering. I am thinking of buying a Bristol 32 that has wheel steering and am concerned there will be a lot bf less maneuverability in the cockpit when I tack. Has anyone any insights?
I've sailed both. Each has its pros and cons. Our 1985 Catalina 30 model 1 was originally offered as a tiller boat. Catalina eventually started offering factory installed wheel steering but the cockpit design did not change, so I have to jump up onto the seat to get around it. Not that big a deal once you are used to it. The model 2 C30 and on had a T cockpit that made it easier to get around the wheel, but at the cost of storage.

Tillers give you a better feel for the boat, and are quicker to respond. Wheels are slower to respond but are easily locked so you can attend to something else for a bit. (How long depends on how balanced the boat is.)

Tillers sweep the entire rear cockpit area and can get caught up in the sheets. Wheels are a fixed footprint.

Tillers tend to tire me out faster. Wheels do not.

Wheels usually have a pedestal guard that is a great place for instruments and you can get folding tables to use for meals in the cockpit.

Tillers are hard for some people to use. Wheels are like driving a car.

As stated previously, wheels are something you get used to, and visa-versa if you go from wheels to tillers.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:49   #35

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34

I converted my Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 back to tiller steering. The people at Pacific Seacraft told me that is by far the most common “upgrade” they do to the older P.S. boats they work on. It’s been a huge improvement. The old wheel totally blocked access to the front of the cockpit. Especially for single handing it prevented good access to the cabin roof top winches for the staysail. Plus steering with the wheel forces you to sit at the aft end of the cockpit where you’re much more likely to get a face full of spray in rougher weather. With the tiller I sit in the more protected front of the cockpit. Plus during the install I added a Raymarine below decks autopilot system. So normally now I’m sailing with the autopilot remote on a lanyard around my neck, the tiller strapped vertically at the aft end of the cockpit doing the “Queen’s wave” while the autopilot steers. The cockpit is wide open. Ah, heaven!
BoatBumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:42   #36

Boat: Contest31HTac

I have wheel steering. When sailing I am sitting in front of the wheel next to the winches, and near the cabin for coffee
B_Wieberdink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:19   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS2Dude View Post
I've sailed both. Each has its pros and cons. Our 1985 Catalina 30 model 1 was originally offered as a tiller boat. Catalina eventually started offering factory installed wheel steering but the cockpit design did not change, so I have to jump up onto the seat to get around it. Not that big a deal once you are used to it. The model 2 C30 and on had a T cockpit that made it easier to get around the wheel, but at the cost of storage.

Tillers give you a better feel for the boat, and are quicker to respond. Wheels are slower to respond but are easily locked so you can attend to something else for a bit. (How long depends on how balanced the boat is.)

Tillers sweep the entire rear cockpit area and can get caught up in the sheets. Wheels are a fixed footprint.

Tillers tend to tire me out faster. Wheels do not.

Wheels usually have a pedestal guard that is a great place for instruments and you can get folding tables to use for meals in the cockpit.

Tillers are hard for some people to use. Wheels are like driving a car.

As stated previously, wheels are something you get used to, and visa-versa if you go from wheels to tillers.

I have a tiller boat, and have sailed a few with feels, and i agree with these points. Both are good options I think. Personally I wouldn't use either as a qualifying/disqualifying criteria.

I like steering with a tiller, it gives great feel, and is just "cooler" IMO And yes it gives more space in the cockpit when anchored, but for me with a family of four in the cockpit, sweeping the tiller across is a hassle and annoying for everyone. With just 1-2 people I think this becomes dramatically better. That will largely dictate how you feel about it. So a wheel takes more space, but it's in one place so for us would be better I think.
scandium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:03   #38

Boat: Cal 29 mk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I think it's something you get used to. I have sailed both a bit and it is easier for me to tack with a tiller but then again the passengers sitting in the cockpit will not be disturbed as much during tacking with a wheel. The main thing for me is, can you get around the wheel quickly and easily? On some boats the wheel is just too much in the way. To me, I just want to be able to take care of the leeward sheet without doing any gymnastics.
There is a reason it is called, tea for the Tillerman, not T for the wheelman. Fairwinds and following seas my friend. From one Tillerman to another.
capn ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:26   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
You'll get used to it. There are pros and cons either way.
Yep, very true.

I've had four tiller steered sailboats and two wheel steered sailboats and that is my take as well.

I did love just being able to point the tiller straight up in the back and clear the whole cockpit for socializing.
Old 08-03-2021, 15:27   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn ken View Post
There is a reason it is called, tea for the Tillerman, not T for the wheelman. Fairwinds and following seas my friend. From one Tillerman to another.
One of my favorite albums of all time
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 08-03-2021, 15:40   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Wieberdink View Post
I have wheel steering. When sailing I am sitting in front of the wheel next to the winches, and near the cabin for coffee
Same here, hunkering down behind the sprayhood might have something to do with our climate

What day is summer this year?
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 17:13   #42

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Same here, hunkering down behind the sprayhood might have something to do with our climate

What day is summer this year?

I spent a summer in London one year, both days of it.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 18:00   #43

I had wheel steering on my 40 footer, in which I did some racing & 53.000 miles of cruising.

I fitted a small stainless bumpkin to the stern which housed a small 3Ft deep 2.5 Sq ft self steering rudder, connected with a fischer linkage to a wind vane The rudder could easily be removed for racing. This had some balance to make it light, but could be left loose to simply trail in the yachts wake. This steered me every where when cruising. I doubt I steered for more than 1000 miles of the 53,000.

I fitted a clamp controlled by a wing nut to the steering pedestal, which which I could make the steering heavy or completely fixed. Thus I could set it free or locked, or any where in between. I could lock on a very small amount of rudder to act as a trim tab & adjust the self steering course by a few degrees. I could also lock the rudder into a tack or jibe, to allow me to go forward to drop a sail etc.

For me it was the best of both worlds.
Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 18:55   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbeen View Post
I had wheel steering on my 40 footer, in which I did some racing & 53.000 miles of cruising.

I fitted a small stainless bumpkin to the stern which housed a small 3Ft deep 2.5 Sq ft self steering rudder, connected with a fischer linkage to a wind vane The rudder could easily be removed for racing. This had some balance to make it light, but could be left loose to simply trail in the yachts wake. This steered me every where when cruising. I doubt I steered for more than 1000 miles of the 53,000.

I fitted a clamp controlled by a wing nut to the steering pedestal, which which I could make the steering heavy or completely fixed. Thus I could set it free or locked, or any where in between. I could lock on a very small amount of rudder to act as a trim tab & adjust the self steering course by a few degrees. I could also lock the rudder into a tack or jibe, to allow me to go forward to drop a sail etc.

For me it was the best of both worlds.
Got any pictures of that? Sounds interesting!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 08-03-2021, 20:48   #45

Have a look in my album. There are a couple of photos showing the bumpkin, one on the hard beside the public wharf in Gladstone, which show the wind vane, & the self steering rudder. It is against a pile, so takes some sorting to see.

Otherwise sorry no. All my photos turned into a solid lump of parer mache, after spending 6 years sailing around the tropics in a suite case in the damp atmosphere.
Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering, wheel