Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2019, 07:19   #31

Re: When is a boat a new boat?

If you’re not an experienced owner with years of sailing, don’t buy a new boat. You don’t know what to look for and you don’t know what is important to you in a boat. Maybe that cabin layout seems fine until you have to live with it. Maybe that up in mast reefing seems cool until it fails at sea. Maybe you do or don’t need that bow thruster etc etc.

If you’ve got years of experience and must have that new boat smell, go for it. Otherwise get one that’s a few years old and not out of charter. It’ll probable have less hours on it than a demo boat and you’ll save yourself the problems inherent in any new buy and you’ll have let the previous owner take the depreciation hit.
Leighpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 07:33   #32

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighpilot View Post

It’ll probable have less hours on it than a demo boat and you’ll save yourself the problems inherent in any new buy and you’ll have let the previous owner take the depreciation hit.
Maybe that's changing as well, with increased production volumes and (perhaps) quality?

I've had less problems with our new boat than with any of the previously used ones (*knock on wood*).
Old 14-10-2019, 09:45   #33

I know that sailing vessels are profoundly different than real property. However, having been a commercial real estate broker for well over 30 years, I can say that agreeing to the seller’s price based on 2020 prices for a 2018 product is the wrong thing to do. You are doing youself a grave disservice. The seller is incredibly fortunate to have you interested in taking the boat off his hands and don’t ever forget that that seller has already applied his/her margin of profit into the asking price. And, above all else, try not allow your wife’s and your emotions get the best of you when negotiating a better deal. Remember, you are in a better “position” than the seller. The best of good fortune to you both.
Giro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 13:03   #34
Ike

Boat: FL12 12 ft rowboat, 8 foot sailing dink, 18 foot SeaRay I/O

Quote:
The HIN number will have a date stamp , so regardless of commissioning , it will be a 2018 boat when it comes time to sell, unless serious discount, buy new or buy 2 yr old with a big discount. My tuppence worth
This hits the nail on the head. In the EU and the US, once the manufacturer puts the HIN on the boat it's there permanently and cannot be changed (that's the law). So if the HIN says 2018 then it's a 2018 forever no matter how little it has been used. So, if they are trying to sell it to you as a new boat then they have a problem and you have a great negotiating point.
Old 14-10-2019, 14:35   #35

When you sell it it will be a 2018 boat.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 14:37   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Two angles on this:
- Unless it's absolutely identical to and they can title it as a 2020...you will take a 2yr depreciation hit. I want a price based on it being a 2yr old boat.
- Can you get the Bene NOW vs having to wait 12months for the other brands? I would still want a discount but I might accept a little less of a discount as I'm getting an extra year of use.

PS: As someone else mentioned, don't expect NEW to equal problem free. Best bet for that would be a very well maintained 2-5yr old used boat.
They can’t title it as a 2020. The serial number states the month and year the boat was built.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 07:09   #37

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

My two cents:
• If you want your boat ASAP - the Beneteau offer is a good one but check carefully the inventory and upgrades included vs. new ordered boats. - this could easily worth $100K or more.
• if you don’t mind to wait and the inventory/upgrades are more or less similar to the Bene available now, you better order your most preferred boat with the 2020 year tag.
• I would stay away from Hanse and Bavaria at any case. Although mostly well designed the quality and materials are not impressive at all. (Look at 5-7 years old boats and you’ll see the difference)
• if at any case, you can wait for the next spring/summer and the package you get from Jeanneau is similar to the available Beneteau I would go for the Jeanneau.

While in reality the year of built +/- 2, wouldn’t make a significant resale difference but mostly the boat’s condition, upgrades, maintenance etc. if you sell - say in 10 years, there is some magic in a next decade number when offered for sale as many buyers use a rounded year in their search range and approach to buying a used boat.

Best of luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock1 View Post
Hi All,

I am in an enviable situation that I am about to spend a large sum of money on a new boat in the 50-55 foot region. I am not looking for a circumnavigation but a island hoping med boat from the high volume manufactures. The boat I (and importantly the wife) like the most is the Beneteau 51.1. I have received quotes from all the main manufactures for a new build (Hanse 508, Dufour 530, Bavaria C50) and the offer from Beneteau is on a stock boat which was built in 2018 for a customer and then the ordered was cancelled so it's sitting on the hard at the brokers yard. When comparing like for like specs (based on what I want) they are all sort of coming in at the same price including the Beneteau. My question is will the fact that the Beneteau was built in 2018 yet commissioned in 2020 have any baring on it's resell value? All the others, if I select one, will be a 2020 build.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Haddock
Old 15-10-2019, 08:01   #38

Boat: Albin Vega 27 / Ericson E30

It doesn´t matter when it was built. A boat, as soon as you pay it, you can write-off the full amount, because the market is so overflown with boats.
Albinvega27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 10:21   #39

I am here.. Right at this Moment..in Italy reviewing... Testsailing and negotiating With the owner auf a 52ft boat for three days allready!!..

There ist no "right way" or right price.

Pay for what you Are Comfortable With.
If the seller agrees... You have a Deal.
Old 16-10-2019, 11:07   #40

This topic has lost its purpose and any value for me. Over and out.
Giro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat