Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2019, 01:07   #1

Boat: Bavaria C57
When is a boat a new boat?

Hi All,

I am in an enviable situation that I am about to spend a large sum of money on a new boat in the 50-55 foot region. I am not looking for a circumnavigation but a island hoping med boat from the high volume manufactures. The boat I (and importantly the wife) like the most is the Beneteau 51.1. I have received quotes from all the main manufactures for a new build (Hanse 508, Dufour 530, Bavaria C50) and the offer from Beneteau is on a stock boat which was built in 2018 for a customer and then the ordered was cancelled so it's sitting on the hard at the brokers yard. When comparing like for like specs (based on what I want) they are all sort of coming in at the same price including the Beneteau. My question is will the fact that the Beneteau was built in 2018 yet commissioned in 2020 have any baring on it's resell value? All the others, if I select one, will be a 2020 build.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Haddock
Haddock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:59   #2

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: When is a boat a new boat?

Like a car, buy one with a few years on it for a fraction of the price.
Unlike a car, most boats get very little use.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:04   #3

Yes, but the Beneteau guys are quoting me off the new list price. So it's like buying a new car which has been on the forecourt for 2 years.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:40   #4
cruiser

Boat: Current Bristol 32, past Columbia 26, Tahiti Ketch

Sorry, there are no rules. It's all about negotiation and each situation is - of course - different. No amount of speculation and opinion will change that. I will say - buying a boat has everything to do with what floats YOUR boat. As Don Casey says - when you own it, it had better turn you on - especially when you realize that your cash outflow for maintenance and repairs just keep on coming.

I would also ask you this: just because you can buy a 50+ boat is not a very good reason to do so. Remember too a new boat IS going to have many problems that you may not expect. And know that the cost of maintenance goes up exponentially - literally. They all feel great at the dock - not so much in the yard later.

Find the boat that REALLY turns you on - don't let the broker know that - and then start negotiating. You must LOVE the boat, period. Then buy...
Capn Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:43   #5

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock1 View Post
Yes, but the Beneteau guys are quoting me off the new list price. So it's like buying a new car which has been on the forecourt for 2 years.
Then its not a new car.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:49   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Then its not a new car.
It's like buying a new lawnmower then?
Old 07-10-2019, 04:49   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Is resale value the most important factor here? Spending that much money, aren't you buying your dream boat? Yes, you'll sell it, but as Capt Jimbo says, does it float YOUR boat?
Old 07-10-2019, 05:01   #8

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

I agree that what is the best deal for your wants is most important. When you sell a 2018 boat is will be considered 2 years older than a 2020 boat. I think the best bet is I usually a lightly used recent vintage boat, if available. One real advantage of a new boat is the ability to spec out the options that are important to you. Often with a factory specced boat the options fit better than one outfitted aftermarket. Different wiring harnesses and switch panels for example often go with a new boat equipped from factory with things like gensets and inverters. But a new boat sitting at dealers for a few years is like a used boat in that added options will be aftermarket fitted. I’d go with the boat best equipped for all your wants and use build year as a negotiating tool.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:20   #9

Two angles on this:
- Unless it's absolutely identical to and they can title it as a 2020...you will take a 2yr depreciation hit. I want a price based on it being a 2yr old boat.
- Can you get the Bene NOW vs having to wait 12months for the other brands? I would still want a discount but I might accept a little less of a discount as I'm getting an extra year of use.

PS: As someone else mentioned, don't expect NEW to equal problem free. Best bet for that would be a very well maintained 2-5yr old used boat.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:18   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Two angles on this:
- Unless it's absolutely identical to and they can title it as a 2020...you will take a 2yr depreciation hit. I want a price based on it being a 2yr old boat.
- Can you get the Bene NOW vs having to wait 12months for the other brands? I would still want a discount but I might accept a little less of a discount as I'm getting an extra year of use.

PS: As someone else mentioned, don't expect NEW to equal problem free. Best bet for that would be a very well maintained 2-5yr old used boat.
This is where I am coming from I guess. The Bene will always have a build date of 2018 even though it has yet to be commissioned. The plan is to sail the Med for a couple of years and then opt for a more robust tool for a circumnavigation (assuming the wife is in agreement) hence the interest in the resale value. If we decide to stay in the Med then we have our home from home until age says differently. I have noticed the same boat (Bene 51.1) and others I am also considering, vintage 2018, are now coming onto brokerage with low engine hours at a much lower price (spec for spec).

I think you are spot on by suggesting buying a 2018 boat that has had all the gremlins sorted (I hope) but is as good as a new one be it very lightly used.

I am also well aware of the costs to run a boat in the Med having a Beneteau Sense 46 for the past 3 years which I still own (anyone interested?). We want to upgrade because the Sense 46 is a tad on the small size with only two cabins and I have 3 daughters who like holidaying with us.

Think this is the way forward, to look at a two year old sailing apartment which has already has the major hit in depreciation at someone else's expense. It also allows me to look at something larger for the same money I am planning to spend.

Thanks
Old 07-10-2019, 07:54   #11
cruiser

Again, it's all about negotiation.

There are reasons ad nauseum why good negotiations may pay off for you - regardless of year - and also why it may not.

Let me try to understand - you're gonna take a hit on your 46 - and then another one on whatever boat you buy now - and then another one when you may or may not circumnavigate and go back to limited cruising. Is that about it? And you're concerned about the year of the boat?

Let's not even talk about the significant extra costs that you sadly will discover with a new boat. That is simply how it is, get used to it. Actually, you should know that already. Let's not talk about the commissions, the dockage, the ongoing maintenance and repairs while you wait months or years to sell each in this alleged series of new boats (consider the 2018 you seem to resist bargaining on). Will you disagree and maintain it's better to go through a series of - to you - disposable designs - rather than pick a boat that can serve you well now, and in the future? . ..

Surely you are aware of all this,? Good luck, and you will need it. I really have trouble even buying this thread...
Old 07-10-2019, 07:58   #12
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Are your funds in essence unlimited, you couldn't run out even if you tried?

If not, pretend you are on a strict budget, 30% off the price those guys are quoting will get a lovely boat in great as-new condition, likely with added improvements you'd have paid extra for.

Over the next ~9 years you will be spending that purchase price again on break-fix and maintenance. Then again every ~7 years or so, if you want to keep the boat in good condition, reasonable resale value (30-50% of new)

Not counting slip fees, storage costs, crew caretakers etc.

Probably not even counting upgrades you will consider essential.

Don't be a sucker.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:06   #13

The original question was posed as the dealer told me that the age of the boat was based on the commissioning date and not the year of manufacture hence why he was quoting of list price of a new boat. Of course he then, as they all did, added a significant discount. Fully aware of the costs of running a boat, however, I have never bought a new boat before and am aware of initial issues but assume these would all be covered under warranty.

I could opt now for a boat more suited to a circumnavigation but this will be considerably more expensive and not offer the accommodation of a boat designed primarily for island hopping with built in BBQ, beer fridge, aircon etc etc.

Therefore I want to buy a boat that is more appropriate for my immediate needs (next 2 to 3 years and potentially longer).

I am leaning toward not buying new and go for a two year old boat that ticks all the boxes.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:42   #14

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

To be honest if you have that kind of money to spend one would assume that your not a silly person so why would you even consider this stupid offer , you have already argued your point that its a 2018 model for 2020 prices so walk away or neogotiate, it seems a no brainer but then who knows
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:15   #15

Boat: Hunter 46

"My question is will the fact that the Beneteau was built in 2018 yet commissioned in 2020 have any baring on it's resell value?"

As already mentioned depends on whether the 2018 all the upgraded features and layout the 2020 has. As a comparison for vehicles, just purchased a 2016 Ford F350 Superduty Crew Cab dual rear wheel drive with essentially no miles for 65% of a new build from a Ford dealer.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat