Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2020, 08:01   #46

Re: When is a Sailboat too old to purchase?

I don't think hand laid fiberglass hulls are going away any time soon. Even with blisters.
Poche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 08:19   #47

If you go on YouTube ad search for “Sailing Uma”. These to people directly out of Architecture School bought a 50 year old 36’ boat. The engine was totaled. The keel was ready to fall off, literally! They fixed the boat up and went cruising while fixing the boat up. The point is they took a 50year old boat sailed it from Florida as far south as Columbia. Then north to Canada before crossing the Atlantic! They are now cruising the Europe. They are now in Finland!

So to answer your question no a boat is never to old.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 08:24   #48

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I still think of boats from the 80's as practically new!
One thing about our old hand laid up hulls is that the boats have lasted so long they may have had many owners, each one of them with a different idea about what they wanted to do to the boat. And as the boat got older they probably thought, "well I'm probably the last owner" and they did some creative remodeling that may need to be repaired. An old boat with only one or two owners can be a real nice find.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 08:55   #49

Boat: 53 foot wooden ketch

Ours is a older Albin Vega and we take students out all the time on it
CaptBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 08:57   #50

Boat: a sailing boat

When rebuilding to usable condition is more expensive than buying an alternative, a boat is too old to buy.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 10:35   #51

Boat: Now? Laser and Catalina 30

@Happ, yes, Uma is a great example...including of how incredibly much work it takes to make that 50 year old boat sound! I love that channel, and my own boat is 42 years old. But they spend hours, days, weeks, even months doing incredibly hard physical work. They've basically rebuilt the boat literally from the keel up. And Dan makes MacGyver look like he's all thumbs.
BVLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 11:16   #52

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

You’d be shocked to see what some of the first Hinckley fiberglas boats can go for. Most have been reasonably well maintained, and the better early 60’s boats can go over $100K. Obviously those have been continually upgraded and maintained. After a major upgrade, ours passed survey with flying colors and appraised by a factor of 3 what we paid for it. Keep in mind that an older boat represents state-of-the-art: For the year it was designed. We plan to sail our ‘73 (still a head-turner) until they dredge a slip at the old folks home.
Old 14-08-2020, 11:59   #53

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor271 View Post
I am a longtime boater, but finally decided to make the shift to sailing! I am looking at something in the 25-27 foot range. The model that has caught my eye is the Nonsuch 26 Classic. My concern is that it is a 1985.

When buying and selling used motor boats in the past, most are 5-20 years old, and after that mostly on their way out. But, it seems for sailboats, 20, 30 and even 40 year old boats are common and still hold substantial value.

What is the difference? And, am I safe buying a 35 year old boat - with new many upgrades to equipment - will I still be able to retain some value if I want to sell in 5 or 10 years?

Thanks for your thoughts on question - and my possible new purchase.
I have a 83 Dickerson Ketch, maintained and upgrade over 13 yrs and more solid than most produced today.
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 12:58   #54

Boat: Cape Dory 28 Zephyr

I have a 1979 Cape Dory 28 for sale with an ad in Cruisers Forum Classified here:. http://https://www.cruisersforum.com...le-219600.html
PI Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 13:06   #55

Boat: J-Boats, J-27

Quote:
...am I safe buying a 35 year old boat - with new many upgrades to equipment - will I still be able to retain some value...
As A long time boater… You already know the answer to this question. It is not a question of how old the boat is, but the condition. If it is wood, has it been well cared for and is it in a condition where you can keep it maintained and tight for your future use. If it is fiberglass, is the fiberglass in good enough condition to give you many years of value. The rigging, the equipment, the sails, are all things that require regular maintenance and occasional replacement, just like on your powerboat.
I sail a boat built in 1965, and one built in 2005… And to me, both require the same level of care and maintenance to keep in good condition. And I enjoy being with both and maintaining their value by doing such… It is more a question of your time, and you’re available wallet thickness… Just like your powerboat days.
JMaav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 14:00   #56

Boat: Lidgard yacht 32ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulvR View Post
As an aside........I looked through the list, great info...BUT it is a travesty that the Muira 31 is not included. It is "old enough" and very arguably the one design yacht which has crossed more oceans than any other!! Even today that would be contestable. The design is legend for it's sheer cruising space and capacity, great handling in heavy weather, and uncanny windward ability in all conditions. It was designed as the minimum size to enter the Cape to Rio and tough enough for the Agulus Race, ...I had one in earnest as a young man, and now keep one as a pet :-) Edit the book :-) !
Yes, we have friends here in Australia who have circumnavigated in one. They have owned it for years & recently did a trip to New Zealand. It's called 6 Pack. They are very similar to the New Zealand built Chico 30, a Keith Eade design.
Davo1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 14:30   #57

Boat: Cape Barren Goose 37ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
I had an 80's vintage Nonsuch 30 before our current boat (4 years ago) and loved it. They are well built and can last forever like any well built FRP boat.

Come to think of it, all of my keel boats (9 or so) have been late 70's and 80's vintage as I prefer the bullet-proof hulls from back then to the flimsy thin hulls of the modern designs.
The well built 70's and 80's production boats are a finite resource. It's a wonder they haven't gone up in value as they certainly don't build them as strong as these anymore.

Their devaluation is I believe directly linked to the ever increasing numbers of new production monos and catamarans that are taking up the limited numbers of marina and mooring spaces which have increased in value disproportionately to boat values.
Old 14-08-2020, 15:56   #58

when it's on the bottom of the deep blue sea.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 17:01   #59

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
I am a longtime boater, but finally decided to make the shift to sailing! I am looking at something in the 25-27 foot range. The model that has caught my eye is the Nonsuch 26 Classic. My concern is that it is a 1985.

When buying and selling used motor boats in the past, most are 5-20 years old, and after that mostly on their way out. But, it seems for sailboats, 20, 30 and even 40 year old boats are common and still hold substantial value.

What is the difference? And, am I safe buying a 35 year old boat - with new many upgrades to equipment - will I still be able to retain some value if I want to sell in 5 or 10 years?

Thanks for your thoughts on question - and my possible new purchase.
Nice to hear of boaters going to sailboats! For GRP boats, well maintained and from a good builder (Nonsuch included).

At this size, there is very little to depreciate over time if you keep up with the good maintenance - and sailboats do need more maintenance than motor boats.

Best of luck!
Old 14-08-2020, 18:47   #60

Boat: Bayfield 29

I did the same as you, switched from power to sail (did sail as a teen) and purchased a sturdy old 29" Bayfield. Hull had to be done, almost there with stripping, epoxy and paint. Inside, there were multiple leaks from the bolts loosening at the deck and hull joint. It takes two people to tighten them so I always need to wait for a handy person to do a few more. That problem did ruin a few cabinet backs and some panels, however, that stuff is now mostly all removed. So far, very little expanse other than bottom stripping, just labor.

The electronics will all be replaced, but I have restored a number of power boats over the years and if you shop for sales and/or the previous version of whatever, generally the price is far less than the latest gadget.

Lastly, the sails. That can be a big expense too, so be sure to check those out. Once it's done, it'll be more yours than a cookie cutter boat and you will know the systems. That's important also. Good luck!
RossD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, purchase, sail, sailboat