Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2013, 23:27   #1

When is boat damage/repairs acceptable.

I'm looking at a boat locally that has a known "issue" or "non issue" depending on opinion. As well as one item recently repaired that I was wondering about.

I'd like your opinions please.

Okay this boat grounded fairly recently. Apparently it is a lead encapsulated keel and there was some fiberglass damage in the glass at the forefoot of the keel. It was hauled and repaired. The question comes, if we assume the repairs were done right... Is it now good as new and nothing to worry about?

The next question is that a survey recently said this.

"The underwater hull is covered with gelcoat osmosis
blisters averaging 1/2” diameter and 10 to 12 inches apart. These are
common on many older vessels, and do not affect structural integrity.
For more information a recognized repair facility should be
consulted."

Do you agree this is not a structural integrity issue? Would you have to fix the blisters or leave the, be and keep an eye on them each haul out.

Thanks for any opinions

Russ
kabball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 01:07   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: When is boat damage/repairs acceptable.

An encapsulated keel is really simple to patch and wouldn't be concerned as long as the repair was well done. Would definitely want to talk with whoever did the repairs.

Blisters aren't all that bad though they can be expensive to fix. Grind them out, laminate new fiberglass in with epoxy resin if they did into the laminate, fair, seal with epoxy if the repair wasn't done with epoxy and bottom paint. Easily done by you but takes time or a bunch of money if you hire it done if they are extensive.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 01:12   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: When is boat damage/repairs acceptable.

I would say the keel is ok (if it was a simple grounding - and not a sustained pounding!).....can check alignment of the keel and for any stress fractures (or repairs) in the bilges, personally even if stress fractures repaired I would walk - probably ok not good enough for me. If as described still a good reason to umm and arrr on price!

Osmosis don't get better, what you describe is not a structural issue (and possibly never will be, at least not in your lifetime!). Plenty of threads on the subject (inc. repairs), a search using the name of Minaret will reveal some good stuff (he fixes Osmosis for a living). But long story short (and simplified!) the fix is a hull peel, dry out and epoxy. Not cheap or quick (I would get own ballpark quotes, for own interest and to waive at the Vendor!)........the good news is that even a sniff of Osmosis really hammers boat value, and this boat has more than a sniff! even if not near the worst.

I would not turn the boat down simply because of it, as long as very fully reflected in price!.......some would then not worry about it, me would likely go for the peel and fix within the next couple of years - then she would be better than new (if the job done well).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote