Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2024, 12:41   #16

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150
Re: When is mast step concerning?

Beneteau put a teak block in the stringer used as the mast step. A compression post sat on top. While we were away for several months our boat watcher failed to notice that the bilge was full of salt water. The water softened the teak (Beneteau also contributed to the problem by drilling a couple of holes through the teak block to run wires from the mast to the electrical panel), and the mast step collapsed. We pulled the mast and rebuilt the step with triradial glass and epoxy after jacking up the cabin ceiling to the required height.

[/IMG]
Old 08-08-2024, 13:06   #17

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Simple test: use a 1/4" drill and bore a test hole through the top skin around the mast step and into the core material. DO NOT DRILL ENTIRELY THROUGH THE DECK! Check to see if the core material is wet. Check several spots around the step. If so, the only repair is to pull the mast, remove the step, and cut out the rotten core slightly beyond the saturation and re-core/fiberglass. I did that on my former 25' sailboat and when I sold it ten years later it was bulletproof. Also, when you remount the step, drill out new holes and fill with epoxy. Then, re-tap for new bolts. However, if dry, you still need to relevel deck and the right way is the same as above for saturation. Good luck, Rognvald
Old 08-08-2024, 15:31   #18

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
I have been noticing the deck around my deck step mast seems depressed, but sheds water in rain etc. The deck does not feel spongy around the mast base. No cracks in deck around the step.

I check the post and it seems solid where I can inspect. The stays all have decent adjustment left (unsure how old they are).

Is it normal for there to be some settling of the deck step? At what point is it concerning?

I would assume it settles some as wood shrinks over years? Also I would assume the deck core could compress from all the loads?

What should a person watch for in regards to deck step issues?
Everything here points to the compression post “shrinking”. Or, the compression post being driven into the keel.

You seem to be asking for advice but at the same time telling yourself and us that it’s all fine because a) the water isn’t pooling in the cabin top mount and b) the boat was built really well.

Neither are even slightly relevant. Point a) is moot as there may have been enough original deck curve to compensate for six inches of compression post contraction (my Swanson would fit this description) and point b) doesn’t matter because the boat is more than five minutes old.

And then you describe what sounds like a bloody stupid “boot” put on the bottom of the post just ideal for trapping water and rotting the base of the post.

Do yourself a favour. Stop looking for the fairytale and happy unicorn explanation and go looking for trouble. I bet you find it at the bottom of that compression post.
Old 08-08-2024, 16:14   #19

One yard who's work I had a lot of respect for repaired compression post steps (or steps for keel stepped masts) with layers of G10 laminated with epoxy to the thickness required to replace what was lost or damaged. A totally bulletproof repair, and technically easy to assemble.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2024, 18:24   #20

Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Everything here points to the compression post “shrinking”. Or, the compression post being driven into the keel.

You seem to be asking for advice but at the same time telling yourself and us that it’s all fine because a) the water isn’t pooling in the cabin top mount and b) the boat was built really well.

Neither are even slightly relevant. Point a) is moot as there may have been enough original deck curve to compensate for six inches of compression post contraction (my Swanson would fit this description) and point b) doesn’t matter because the boat is more than five minutes old.

And then you describe what sounds like a bloody stupid “boot” put on the bottom of the post just ideal for trapping water and rotting the base of the post.

Do yourself a favour. Stop looking for the fairytale and happy unicorn explanation and go looking for trouble. I bet you find it at the bottom of that compression post.
I already said I was going to check out the bottom of the post, ****tard. Learn to read…
Thomas1985 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:34   #21

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
I already said I was going to check out the bottom of the post, ****tard. Learn to read…
Charming.

From the same person busily telling us how well built everything was and playing around with glasses of water.

Good luck. You sure are going to need it.
Old Yesterday, 07:32   #22

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
One yard who's work I had a lot of respect for repaired compression post steps (or steps for keel stepped masts) with layers of G10 laminated with epoxy to the thickness required to replace what was lost or damaged. A totally bulletproof repair, and technically easy to assemble.

Real caution should be used when considering this approach since it does not address the potential problem for this common structural failure. Whether a boat's mast is deck stepped or keel stepped, determining the reason for failure is essential for a proper repair. If a core is saturated or crushed by point loading, it is this issue that must be repaired for a proper repair. Anything less is a Band aid approach for a serious issue and will not solve the problem . . . just delay subsequent failures. When I repaired the deck under the tabernacle on my 25 ft sailboat, the origin was a VHF cable routed through the deck that was not sealed properly. When I pulled the mast in the Fall and removed the tabernacle, the water intrusion destroyed the balsa core 12" beyond the cable in all directions. If I had merely used a band aid approach, the core saturation would have continued to creep beyond the 12" area and created a safety issue for a serious failure under point loading. The result would be no less for a boat with a keel stepped mast and may also reveal more serious structural issues/problems based on its location above the keel. There's only one fix for all problems . . . a proper fix. Simple.
Rognvald
Old Today, 04:13   #23

Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Charming.

From the same person busily telling us how well built everything was and playing around with glasses of water.

Good luck. You sure are going to need it.
I’m definitely not taking advice from an illiterate Foster-o-holic.

I appreciate everyone else’s genuine input. I’m going to investigate further as I replace my water tanks. That will give me really good access to all sides of the post and the base assembly on the keel.

I’ll drop back in to report what I find/ what the fix ends up being.
Thomas1985 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast

« Dorades? | - »