Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 15:00   #1

Boat: Downeaster 38
When is mast step concerning?

I have been noticing the deck around my deck step mast seems depressed, but sheds water in rain etc. The deck does not feel spongy around the mast base. No cracks in deck around the step.

I check the post and it seems solid where I can inspect. The stays all have decent adjustment left (unsure how old they are).

Is it normal for there to be some settling of the deck step? At what point is it concerning?

I would assume it settles some as wood shrinks over years? Also I would assume the deck core could compress from all the loads?

What should a person watch for in regards to deck step issues?
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 17:13   #2

Re: When is mast step concerning?

No matter how old wood gets it does not shrink in LENGTH. Unless it is rotting, your post is the same length today as when it was cut.

There should be no core between the mast and the load bearing members in the hull. That would be a gross error by the builder.

To me, ANY settling of the mast step is an issue that needs very close inspection to find the reason. There is a reason. It is not a normal part of aging of a boat. Once you find what is moving, you can then monitor it and see if it continues to change.
SailingHarmonie is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast