Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2024, 14:03   #1

Where and how to use anchorage not marinas

I'm thinking about buying a cheaper used 27 to 34' boat for occasional use and to sail from Brunswick, GA , where I live, to the Caribbean maybe once per year. The marinas here charge a small fortune to put a boat like that in a slip, so I plan to use an anchorage nearby if that is feasible and use an inflatable paddleboard to get to it. (marinas here charge $10 per day just to tie up a small inflatable). I only plan to use the boat from once per week to once per month. What concerns might I have with this plan? Security suggestions?
widmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2024, 14:58   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009
Re: Where and how to use anchorage not marinas

Some concerns, particularly when you say cheaper which may imply “badly maintained“. It’s perfectly legal to anchor in any navigable water outside a marked channel if the boat can legally transit in that location, which implies not military restrictions and registered in the state.

By leaving the boat unattended, you’re risking losing it if something basic goes wrong. Is it insured for loss, including the liability of removing any wreckage and cleanup of pollution if she sinks? Is she seaworthy, including working (and closed) seacocks? Are the house batteries refreshed with a solar charger and do the bilge pumps work? Will your anchor hold in all foreseeable storms in the area? Depending on the area, you may be concerned with theft or squatting, if it becomes known that the boat is never attended, but a internet camera or social contacts may eliminate that concern. There are boat monitors available so you get alerts of bilge pumps, fire alarms, intruders etc. but that may be too pricey.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2024, 15:38   #3

Are there internet cameras that run on DC? Do they need WIFI?
widmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2024, 16:17   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

[QUOTE=John_Trusty............... "It’s perfectly legal to anchor in any navigable water outside a marked channel if the boat can legally transit in that location, which implies not military restrictions and registered in the state."
.................... [/QUOTE]
We followed this good advice from John Trusty for 45 years of cruising. I'll add there are added locations in the USA that restrict anchoring such as areas adjacent to most bridges, cable crossings, some power plants, some protected wildlife areas, protected coral reefs and sea grass beds, leased aquaculture beds; however these are posted and well marked on charts. There are also channels that are not marked, but have no significant room outside the navigable path. It should also be noted that an anchored vessel does not need to be registered in the state where you are anchoring. I doubt that John Trusty meant to imply that.
There are some local ordinances that state that anchoring in not permitted; however, these are often difficult to enforce as they conflict with federal navigation freedoms. We never found it worthwhile to attempt these locations as they were not desirable anchorages for us anyway.
We also avoided anchoring in places with less reliable holding substrates; limited swing room near other vessels or rock.
We found it common for most boaters to choose anchorages, not just by a safe location, but where other boats are anchored. There are often good options that are not "following the crowd!"
Over our 45 years of cruising we were subject to very little theft... one bicycle and one surf board taken and both of these were at marina docks, not at anchor. We always kept bright anchor lights, ...'kerosene lights back in the seventies and bright LEDs more recently and more lights than required. We also had a small dog with a big bark.
Anchoring out is part of the independence, freedom, and self-reliance that is the most pervasive quality of cruising!
Old 10-08-2024, 16:44   #5

If the marinas in Brunswick GA are too expensive for you, you are in line for a rude shock as you travel around. They are not the cheapest, but they are well below average.

Spoiler Alert: Boats are expensive things to keep, and keep working.

We anchor when we can, we stay at marinas when the benefits outweigh the costs. Keeping a boat permanently on anchor is challenging. It can be done, but success is not easy, especially if it is unattended and not ready to move on the whim of the weather.
SailingHarmonie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2024, 18:32   #6

Georgia is notorious for the anchoring restrictions implemented in 2020. https://cruisingodyssey.com/2020/01/...ing-overnight/

Except near a marina or some other (yet to be) designated anchorages it is essentially illegal to anchor within 1000 feet of any “structure”.
PippaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2024, 08:24   #7

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

From what I have seen it would be a problem. In the San Francisco Bay area there have been efforts to get rid of long term anchored boats. Some are floating dumpsters and I am all in favor of it. But the reality of it is that there is really no way to own a boat and not pay rent for where it's parked around here. Maybe if your boat was moved frequently and I mean some significant distance several miles, you might make it work.

Protecting Eel Grass from anchor rode damage is a big thing here. If you look at satellite pictures of Richadsons Bay you can see the circles of bare mud from anchor rode scouring the bottom of the bay. After many years of trying to get rid of anchor outs they came up with " Protecting Eel Grass " a perfect way to get rid of all the boats.

I don't know the east coast but I am sure local governments hate seeing people live rent free.

I would love not to have to pay for a slip but nothing is free, and owning a boat is viewed as a rich persons toy. Also a source of cash for local government to draw from.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2024, 08:50   #8

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by widmn View Post
What concerns might I have with this plan? Security suggestions?

The first problem is that there is some risk of the anchor dragging particularly in windy conditions or high waves. You would want to use an anchor that resets reliably on a wind shift. You would want to be sure that the bottom is free of materials that could foul your anchor during a shift, particularly anything that could be impaled on a point or fluke so as to prevent the anchor from digging in. Related to that, you would want to be sure that your ground tackle hardware is secure and is set up in such a way that chafe will not cause it to fail.

Unless you plan to anchor in a special anchorage area where an anchor light is not required, you will need a USCG compliant anchor light and a means of providing power to it on an ongoing basis. Most people use solar panels.

You should be sure that you have suitable insurance coverage that allows you to store the boat at anchor. Keep in mind that if your boat breaks free of its anchor, you could be held liable for any accidents or injuries it causes while adrift.

You will want to work out details for parking and paddleboard launch. If you plan to take your boat out overnight, you may find that suitable parking is hard to find.

You will want to have an alternate plan for moving major items on and off the boat such as fuel, water, and groceries. You would want to be able to take a sail off the boat to a sailmaker, for example, in the event one of your sails is damaged.

If you use towing insurance such as that provided by Sea Tow or Towboatus, you should read policy provisions carefully to be sure coverage still applies.
Old 13-08-2024, 03:33   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

As I follow this thread, I notice that most of the posts are less positive regarding anchoring opportunities than I experienced. This may be because our anchoring was typically for one or two nights while cruising and not establishing a "resident" anchoring location. As an example; we regularly anchored in numerous locations within Georgia,- Cumberland Island, Jekyll Island, Darien River, Buckhead, Herb river ...and more. 'never had any approach or word from any authority.
Old 13-08-2024, 08:09   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
As I follow this thread, I notice that most of the posts are less positive regarding anchoring opportunities than I experienced. This may be because our anchoring was typically for one or two nights while cruising and not establishing a "resident" anchoring location. As an example; we regularly anchored in numerous locations within Georgia,- Cumberland Island, Jekyll Island, Darien River, Buckhead, Herb river ...and more. 'never had any approach or word from any authority.
Indeed.

Permanently anchoring a boat somewhere (even if it leaves occasionally), and cruising around and anchoring here and there, are two entirely different things.

The first thing screams "boat bum" and will be looked on with disfavor by local authorities (and even by other boaters), even if they can't prevent it legally. But even if you have the right to leave your boat there, you may not have the right to discharge sewage, for example, and may find yourself the subject of strict enforcement and frequent inspections.

The second thing is fine.

I would suggest that the OP might want to find a super cheap dock somewhere out of the high demand areas to call home, leave the boat there most of the time, and then anchor out when cruising. Sometimes a private dock can be sublet from someone, or a municipal slip in someplace unpopular with tourists.

In the Shetland Islands, for example, we saw one marina offering dockage for £5 -- a week. And not per foot -- per boat. It was a very, very modest place, but still.

And those parts of the world where berthing is cheapest are often the best places in the world to cruise. In my hemisphere, the price of berthing goes down virtually in proportion to how far North you go. Even in Norway, the world's richest country, where a beer can cost you $15, I rarely paid more than the price of two beers for a night at a dock, and sometimes less than one.

Another possible solution is a mooring. Leaving a boat unattended on a legal mooring is perfectly fine in many places. Sometimes you can even place the mooring yourself, and pay minimal fees for the license to do so.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2024, 08:21   #11

What is being described is exactly why Georgia and Florida are clamping down on anchoring.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2024, 09:50   #12
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kalik 40

If you're only using once a year it might just be easier to charter perhaps?
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2024, 11:10   #13
CLOD

Boat: none

Brunswick is just down the road from Florida where there are lots of lonely boats anchored out. The OP could also check out St Mary's. For long term "leave out" consider something more solid like a mooring. Biggest risk is the boat breaking free and that depend on how well the chain/rode/pendants are maintained. Biggest thief danger is for other boaters. Bottom growth will be high and birds will love the boat. Be sure you have good liability insurance.
Old 13-08-2024, 12:06   #14

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Indeed.

Permanently anchoring a boat somewhere (even if it leaves occasionally), and cruising around and anchoring here and there, are two entirely different things.
An obvious point I would have thought.

I've never been to the US of A, but down under, for those of us on a budget, we have mooring 'fields'. Such fields are very common and located in sheltered areas out of traffic. Simple enough method to overcome the likelihood of the anchor dragging.

Process. We apply to the local harbour authority for a space in our preferred field. Typically granted for a fee about $100. The authority provides GPS co-ordinates for the precise location. At same point we drop a weight on the sea bed with appropriate sized chain plus mooring buoy.

The weight is typically in excess of 500 kgs, so homebuilt concrete block, truck engine block, or best in my view, railway wheel (about 800 kgs) would suit a boat up to about 12 metres.

The permit requires bi-annual inspection of the mooring, and depending on the authority there can be an annual fee. Most owners do the inspection themselves. I think permit lasts 10 years. Also you can sell your 'permit' if you no longer need it.

A negative of this system is the difficulty of gaining boat insurance, so most are self insured, or what we call third party only.

Positive is that this is far more secure than an anchor, and boat owners keep a watch out for each others' vessels. There are usually a few old salts living on their boats happy to be flung a box of beer for the use of their eyes and ears.

What we have seen though is that a number of such fields have been closed or heavily reduced in size, and marinas built in their place, given they're usually in good locations.

Marina Types

Similarly different marinas may offer different types of service for very different prices. The full service, floating finger type marina being the most expensive. Lesser priced are those older style marinas with peers that don't 'float' and so moorings are a little more tricky especially if tide ranges are relatively high.

Next down the price range are moorings simply provided by posts affixed in the sea floor. As with the home made mooring described above a dinghy is needed to get to one's boat.

And the cheapest of all is a marina that simply offers moorings affixed to the sea floor with weights or helix screws driven into the sea bed..
Old 16-08-2024, 07:57   #15

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

Purchase cruising guides for the areas you are contemplating visiting. They not only will give suggestions of secure anchorage in various wind/wave conditions, but also criminal activity, sourcing food, dining establishments and any local chandelries. Spend what you can to ensure reliable WiFi for realtime weather forecasts.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, marinas