Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 16:17   #1

Where Are All the 'Leaky Teakies' ?

My friend and I are making a documentary and are looking for a Ta Chaio to buy, rebuild, and sail. From what I’ve read, there should be one out there that will be good for our documentary. We are looking for a 41’-51’ boat. These boats have so much character and beautiful woodwork, that we feel like they would bring a lot to our documentary.

I am not afraid of a boat that has not been maintained. Infact; the worse the condition, the better.

We are not rich people, so the cheaper the better. Best would be someone willing to donate their ‘old leaky’ boat to a really cool project.

If you know of any lead on this boat, HELP US OUT!!

Thanks, and have a great day
Hechizador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 16:54   #2

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Re: Where Are All the 'Leaky Teakies' ?

Welcome aboard. Sounds like an interesting project.

This should be a good starting point.

LeakyTeakyYachtClub : LeakyTeakyYachtClub

Very helpful and experienced bunch. Some will probably have their boats on the market... hard times.

Good luck.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 19:14   #3

I will give that a try. Thanks for the help. if anyone else has any other leads, it would be much appreciated

Have a great day
Old 08-08-2011, 19:37   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hechizador View Post
We are not rich people, so the cheaper the better. Best would be someone willing to donate their ‘old leaky’ boat to a really cool project.
I suspect that a significant number of those who own sailboats built by Ta Chiao would take umbrage to the somewhat-derogatory term, "leaky teaky."

I would also suspect that the option of donating such a boat to a deserving charity would be preferential when compared to the opportunity to donate it to a "really cool project" where the lead agent leads off by asking "Where Are All the 'Leaky Teakies'?"

In my country, if you donate a boat to a non-profit organization, you can claim a tax deduction. This is done all the time. Unfortunately, all we know about your group comes from the statement quoted above, "We are not rich people..." Okay, neither are the Sea Scouts.

You may wish to reconsider your approach. If you do this, consider the fact that many people will need to know more about your project than that it's "really cool." Consider, also, that rarely does a week go by before someone jumps onto this forum wanting its members to give up a boat for free.
Old 08-08-2011, 20:16   #5

I appoligize. hope that i didnt get off on the wrong foot on this forum. I am not looking for a hand out, but rather maybe some people on this forum may know of a friend or seen a boat in the yard that they think may be something the owner would like to get off their hands. i wrote my original message in haste, as i was at work at the time.

When i refered to these types of boat as "leaky teaky" i did not mean it in a derogatory way. As there are many different names (ie. Formosa, Ct, Mariner, Island Trader, Seawolf, Sea witch) for these boats, i thought it would be best to call it by its nickname. And honestly i thought of it more as a term of endearment, rather than derogatory, considering the large and loyal following these boat seem to have.

A little about us:
my name is Ricardo, i am a freelance designer/engineer by trade. Im from seattle and my friends and i decided to make a documentary on restoring and sailing a boat. I have lots of experience with carpentry, mechanics, and glassing. Currently im building a wood strip kayak that i hope to tour the san juan islands in. I have a large group of friends willing to help with the project (one of whom works at holland america in fleet engineering). My sister is also helping out, she is a muti-award winning editor/producer and has gone to sundance twice. She will be the person to make the documentary look professional. I feel lucky to have such a great team around me.

About 6 months ago, i had a boat lined up to buy down in Portland, OR (it needed a lot of work). I had my car packed and we had just purchased new cameras (HD) and sound equipment, but unfortunately the seller decided he wanted to keep the boat for now. So the last 6 months, as i work, i have been looking for a new boat for our documentary.

I cant say i blame the guy. He was going thru a hard patch in his life at the time, and wanted to hold onto what he could. It unfortunate that it set our project back a few months, but I wish nothing but the best for the guy.

We have a website ready, but felt it was best to have a boat before we launched (excuse the pun :-) the website.

Our goal is to purchase a sailboat, fix it up, and sail it. We want to show people that you can do it yourself, if you have the drive and patience to learn.

I hope that i have not offended anyone, and i can not stress enough that we are not looking for a handout. But rather trying to get our project going again. I am not your typical slacker trying to get free candy.

Have a great day.
-Ricardo-
Old 08-08-2011, 21:01   #6

Boat: Deja Vu - Catalina 36 MK I

I noticed a Hans Cristian 33 fixer upper on Yachtworld yesterday for under 20 grand. Could be right up your alley.

Mike
MikeinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 21:20   #7

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Welcome Hechizador....pay little mind to the nay sayers. Never give up on a dream. Of course you're not looking for a hand out. Like many of us we have wine taste on a beer budget. One option you may consider is chartering a teak vessel from someone if you just want to do a documentary. But...hey...if you want the adventure of fixing up a leaky Teaky...go for it. I saw a 47' teak Garden design go for $25K a while back. They're out there. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 23:15   #8

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Ricardo, I don't think you offended anyone. Particularly not with the name Leaky Teakies. It's what the Leaky Teaky Yacht Club calls their boats themselves.

One thing you'll find very quickly here, there are many opinions and members aren't shy to express them.

Thanks for fleshing out the background a bit.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 23:38   #9

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

There was a good one not too long ago. May have been posted on here. It was called, Hold Fast, I believe, about the Anarchist Yacht Club and the s/v Pestilence. Very entertaining. Google it.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:01   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Hechizador.

Don’t worry about insulting the “leaky teaky” owners, (for good reason) that’s what they call themselves.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:21   #11

Boat: Nordhavn 47

I think the boat that was in the movie "Captain Ron" is for sale. That would be a cool project and have some name recognition to help bring viewers as well.

Click here to see The Wanderer

Good luck with your project.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:38   #12

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

I would concur that the "Wanderer" would make a great subject for a rebuild video series. Besides it history as the famous Captain Ron boat, it sure looks from the photos that it needs a lot of work.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:52   #13

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I think that particular boat is fiberglass with teak decks. It's my understanding that they used, I believe, 3 boats for the movie.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:55   #14

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:44   #15

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

I looked at a 41 a few months ago that was on e bay for a friend, it was stored indoors in michigan and needed a fair bit of deck and cabinside work,the teak decks had been removed, hull was good and the big plus was brand new aluminum masts booms and standing rigging from JSI,still wrapped in shrink wrap. I dont know if it sold or not.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote