Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2017, 19:08   #1

Boat: Albin Vega
Where do I get actually good seacocks?

Where do I get actually good seacocks? After reading marine survey 101 I get the impression seacocks need to be all bronze to avoid corrosion. Looked on west marine's site, they have bronze seacocks alright but with other metals attached? Why? So annoying! Why would anyone buy bronze if they were just going to have dissimilar metals inside that invites corrosion? Am I missing something here? Is it inadvisable to have all bronze? And what's with incompatible threads on the thru hulls? Straight thru hulls need to go into straight seacocks, no? Why am i having difficulty finding compatible fittings? There must be a better site for these things where the sellers want you to keep your boat above the waves.
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 19:25   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Where do I get actually good seacocks?

That's also on my to do list. Been looking at marineoutfitter.ca and binnacle.ca/com pretty sure they have the bronze groco with and without flanges. Defender probably has them as well as fishery supply or something like that in Washington (can't remember the full name but great store). Just google groco bronze seacock and I'm sure you'll turn up a bunch of results. Don't forget that a lot of commercial fishermen all use bronze seacocks and thru hulls so don't limit your search to stores that cater to SV's. You can also look up Buck Algonquinn and apollo as well. I'll probably go with Groco as they are readily available.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 19:34   #3

The grocos were the ones i was looking at...chrome plated valves and or stainless steel handles from what i saw. I'll check out the sites you mentioned, though, hopefully they have all bronze options ��
Old 07-04-2017, 19:58   #4

Boat: Vancouver 27

Google mainesail's excellent article on seacocks and go from there. I sprung for tapered cone spartan seacocks a few years back, but only because I only have 3 holes in the boat. They are $$ but should last a lifetime.

Also something to be said for the groco ones that screw into a backing plate flange and can be replaced. They may not last as long, but you should only have to replace the valve portion, simply by unscrewing it from the flange.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 20:10   #5

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
The grocos were the ones i was looking at...chrome plated valves and or stainless steel handles from what i saw. I'll check out the sites you mentioned, though, hopefully they have all bronze options ��
Don't worry. It's not that big of a deal.

The chromed ball in the valve is due to the strength needed to be opened and closed in a potentially abrasive environment and not gouged or deformed (it wouldn't seal then). The stainless handle isn't really necessary, but we're not talking about a part submerged in water and it's isolated by a seal anyway... no dissimilar issue there either.

If you want to eliminate any of those issues, get a Marlon seacock.

Matt
Old 07-04-2017, 21:11   #6

Boat: Mariner 31 Ketch

We have bronze Blakes seacocks originally installed in '69 and still functioning perfectly. Occasional cleaning and periodic greasing.
maelduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 22:01   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40

HopCar maintains an online storefront on this forum. He's helpful, fair and keeps many parts instock. I recommend him highly

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: HopCar
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 23:33   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Thanks Chris! I've retired and sold the company but it's still a good source of seacocks.
The Apollo seacocks on my boat are 29 years old and function perfectly. They are primarily bronze with stainless balls. I would expect the US built Groco seacocks to have similar long lives. The Spartan tapered cone seacocks are all bronze, will out last the boat, but will require a lot more maintenance than a ball valve type seacock and will cost a lot more to buy.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:15   #9

Boat: Schucker 436 motorsailor

Raritan has some non metallic thru hulls and ball valves that don't require thru bolting due to a strength collar...fyi
sailalibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:21   #10

Boat: '82 Mikawa MKII 30'

I use Marelon (nylon filled plastic) on all of my through hulls/seacocks and have for years. Now, though, the only ones in the catalog are a 3/4" and a 2". Why is that? The idea of no worry about corrosion sold me on them, and I have found that it is one less thing that I have to worry about. The handles on the smaller units, like the 1/2" are a little "springy", which gives you a strange feeling, but once you get used to it, it isn't a problem.
Of course, you have to be careful to not abuse them; you can't stand on them or kick at them, but who does that anyway?
Matsubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:41   #11

Boat: O'Day 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailalibi View Post
Raritan has some non metallic thru hulls and ball valves that don't require thru bolting due to a strength collar...fyi
Those are the TruDesign glass reinforced. Easy to install, thru hull becomes part of your hull and never any corrosion. After nearly 3 years mine open and close easily, not like the Marelon one that was on my black water discharge. Handle broke in the "closed" position. PITA

With the collar installed they are ABYC certified. I don't think the Marelon ones are. Just be sure you get all BSP or NPS. My local supplier had NPS thru hulls and valves but only BSP tail fittings.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:46   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

If you want to go with plastic, I think the TruDesign sold by Raritan in the US is the way to go. Looks like a very strong design and Raritan's customer service is top notch.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:25   #13

A couple of years ago I have replaced the lot with carbon reinforced nylon seacocks from Trudesign. These products have no galvanic issues whatsoever and they won't tear when they freeze with water still in. They seem to be expensive but if you consider the entire set, seacock, throug-hull fitting and hose tail, they are about as expensive as the best Bronze.
Bor the Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:34   #14

Nice, i was just reading about those, think i will put them​ in when I get a new boat.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:28   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

my opinion: bronze only - groco but not the dedicated seacocks, the valves + trough hulls
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote