Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2017, 05:18   #31

Re: ?? Where to Buy Take Delivery ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
I am going to retire soon, buy a boat and cruise full time, including oUS. Would it still be stupid to save $18k or so on a state sales tax in a state I do not intend to remain at?
Of course not. I didn't say it would. I said it would be stupid if you were going to end up "with a boat in a location where it is a major pain in the backside for you to actually use it." Clearly that has nothing to do with your particular circumstance.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 05:36   #32
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Of course not. I didn't say it would. I said it would be stupid if you were going to end up "with a boat in a location where it is a major pain in the backside for you to actually use it." Clearly that has nothing to do with your particular circumstance.
We live over 4000 miles from our boat, would you consider this arrangement "stupid?" It works out well for us, more places to visit and the annual cost savings are substantial.

Not everyone's a daysailor, sometimes one needs to think outside the closed box.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 08:26   #33

Oh for God's sake. If you cannot figure out for yourself whether or not it is a major pain in the backside for you to use your boat, then I am afraid that I cannot help you.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 09:47   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
I am going to retire soon, buy a boat and cruise full time, including oUS. Would it still be stupid to save $18k or so on a state sales tax in a state I do not intend to remain at?

Circumstances can be different. Some people buy boats to sail around, rather than stay in a marina.
Precisely! Am planning on going cruising shortly after purchase. Thinking to park it in Florida near a friend's house until outfitted and updated sufficient to head out. Avoiding the CA sales tax is worth almost $10,000. Avoiding the use tax would be a nice thing too. I found it always takes them some time to catch up when I lived on a boat in the SF Bay Area as I moved marinas every couple years. Not trying to do something illegal just minimize the damn gouge by those that can't control their spending....
It is hard to go look at boats all over the country. So far have done two visits to FL and yet there are boats to see in other states. CA prices really are obnoxious. Texas looks promising but am narrowing down my list of models and they are scattered around. A broker showed me a nice one in the British VI but it's a $grand just to go look at it.
PS: Thank you! to all the great advice on what I was looking for.
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 10:29   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Florida does have a cap on vessel sales tax which certainly helps in the above scenario. $18K max tax regardless of vessel price.

TIP #10A01-07
DATE ISSUED: June 22, 2010

Sales and Use Tax on Boats or Vessels Capped at $18,000
Effective July 1, 2010, the maximum tax on the sale or use of a boat or vessel is $18,000. Purchases made on or after July 1, 2010, are subject to the maximum $18,000 tax. Taxpayers using boats or vessels in Florida on or after July 1, 2010, who are subject to Florida use tax pursuant to Section 212.06, Florida Statutes (F.S.), will owe a maximum $18,000 use tax.

I never studied that angle much as I knew it would never apply to me.
Just one more perk for the wealthy.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delivery