Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2024, 10:57   #16

Boat: Cal 2-46
Re: Where to sell - French Polynesia or Fiji?

Bigger market in NZ. Duty 5%. GST/VAT 15%
Jimmyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2024, 11:07   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyhenry View Post
Bigger market in NZ. Duty 5%. GST/VAT 15%
Could debate markets - but Fiji NZ is simply a tougher/riskier sail than Fiji/Vanuatu/New Caledonia/Oz
nofacey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2024, 12:48   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to wackerb

Sold my Lagoon 400 in OZ. You have to pay the import duties before you can even advertise. To import requires meeting local codes. I had to pay for new gas lines and inspection of appliances even though the same brands/models are pre-accepted. New 220 outlets with switches. Local codes vary, but once you pass wherever you're selling it from I think it becomes the byer's responsibility if they're location's codes are different. All that is wasted if you sell to a non-Aussie. I found dealing with the various regulations an unpleasant and costly experience.
wackerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2024, 14:26   #19

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
I found dealing with the various regulations an unpleasant and costly experience.
Indeed. Good of you to warn the OP.

We've some friends who imported a catamaran they brought in from NZ to Qld. Hassles with both the refrigeration and the gas. And expensive and time consuming. My warning: do not let yourself actually believe things will be done efficiently or on time, and ask tradesmen to not answer their mobile phones while they are focused on your jobs. Be around, too. Help if possible.

Ann
Old 26-01-2024, 14:36   #20

Boat: S&S 40

What exactly is French electrics?
Anyway, sell your boat in Australia or NZ... It's a no brainier.
Good services, no cyclones down south, and generally nobody will steal your winches while you are away.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2024, 16:55   #21

Boat: Hunter 356

I have a friend who decided to sell their boat in NZ. For sale right now.
I think they’re happy with the choice.
I just crewed for a couple from FP to Samoa. A little patience to find good weather windows paid off with lovely sails and a visit to Suwarrow. Why turn back now?!
jsanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2024, 23:29   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackerb View Post
Sold my Lagoon 400 in OZ. You have to pay the import duties before you can even advertise. To import requires meeting local codes. I had to pay for new gas lines and inspection of appliances even though the same brands/models are pre-accepted. New 220 outlets with switches. Local codes vary, but once you pass wherever you're selling it from I think it becomes the byer's responsibility if they're location's codes are different. All that is wasted if you sell to a non-Aussie. I found dealing with the various regulations an unpleasant and costly experience.
Not much different than selling in the USA as you have to pay fees prior to advertising for non residents
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2024, 18:42   #23

Quote:
From memory when I imported my Catalina 42 from USA to Australia in 2012, the duty payable was 10% on top of other stuff that needs addressing, quite a sting and your boat will be assessed on Australian dollar value.
Alan Brookes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2024, 18:51   #24

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Brookes View Post
From memory when I imported my Catalina 42 from USA to Australia in 2012, the duty payable was 10% on top of other stuff that needs addressing, quite a sting and your boat will be assessed on Australian dollar value.
Duty for Oz is 5% and GST is 10%, so total is 15.5%.
Note that
- purchase price is not necessarily used in the valuation
- some items may be added to the valuation like travel, insurance, paid crew
Old 29-01-2024, 06:15   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

Quote:
Importing the boat into Oz and paying duty prior to listing to sell is no longer required
https://www.dbyboatsales.com.au/selling-your-boat-in-australia/

It would be interesting to identify duties/taxes levied by country - believe both NZ and Oz are currently 15% combined duty/GST
- it’s my sense that Oz is a larger market for sailboats
nofacey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 12:26   #26

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
it’s my sense that Oz is a larger market for sailboats
NZ is a nation of sailors in our experience! It is t he only place we've been where when you say that you live on a sailboat they think it is kinda normal and don't view you as some kind of homeless freak. Way cool...

But Oz has around 5 times the population and a good sailing community as well, so kinda gets the nod IMO.

Jim

Tags
enc, Fiji, French Polynesia