Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 20:50   #1

Boat: Moody 34
Which 38-42' Sailboat ?

I am looking at some used sailboats under $75k
I have seen the Pearson 42 and some other boats like a C&C and a CSY and some of the older (1970-1985) sailboats. They all look really nice.
Question: if you were going to buy a used boat in this price range, and you wanted to sail down the east coast from the Chesapeake, and into Florida and on to the Bahamas and back--- are there any specific makes that you would recommend me looking into? I know that each boat is individual as it relates to its actual condition, but since there are so many on the market - is there something that you could say to help me focus on my search?
I had originally thought i would get a 28 foot IP but she is not into that small size. Even my friend Bruce Van Sant (Gentleman's Guide...") said a 30-footer may be too small to live aboard with all the needed gear plus my lady. It's not like we are both nineteen (19) years old and she is into roughing it. All she wants is a nice bedroom aft....not alot to ask. As for me, if I was alone as a bachelor, I could (and have) sailed off in a 28 footer and felt it was cavernous.
I would like to get a Catamaran, but the expense is about 50k more than I would like to spend, although I really like the extra accommodations and the speed of the cats.
But if I cant afford a used Cat, then is there a 38-42 foot boat you can recommend that would have that nice big aft stateroom? I don't really like sleeping with my lady in the traditional V-berth with all the motion at anchor and it seems only the larger boats have the nice rear stateroom (not the quarter-berth which is nice for me alone...but not big enough for my lady and I).
If you can refer me to my search for a coastal cruiser that might have that aft stateroom- that would be appreciated. I guess I am stuck because i want a big enough boat to liveaboard in comfort but for another 50k I could get what I really want which is a used Cat.
Plus, I really like the extra speed of the Cats over a monohull cruiser (12 knots vs. 5 - what's not to like?)
HELP!! I am in boat buyers purgatory!!
Any input from those who have been in this 'I don't know which boat to get!/indecision' phase. Thanks!
Old 04-09-2011, 21:06   #2

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
Re: which 38-42 foot sailboat?

We paid $73000 for our Hardin Voyager 45 staysail ketch last fall and are enjoying it. It has 5 1/2' draft and 56' mast height both good things for the East Coast. People here say they're slow, but we clocked 8 1/2 to 9 knots for an afternoon running up Georgia Strait this summer, which to me isn't bad for a Winnebago with tipouts. I hear there are quite a few back East and South since they were used for charter.
As a side note we sold our Hans Christian 34T for $40000 that me and the wife lived on quite comfortably for 5 years before we had grandchildren living with us.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 14:45   #3

Re: Which 38-42' Sailboat ?

Thanks, I appreciate the reply. I'm going to go and see if I can see those boats to check them out. Thanks so much-
advocate777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 14:53   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Which 38-42' Sailboat ?

Morgan OI... all the aft stateroom you could want...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 15:16   #5

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424

For the Chesapeake and Bahamas, mind the draft. Try to stay around 5 feet.
s/v Breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 17:57   #6

thanks- am gonna look into the Morgans if I can find one kept up good-
advocate777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat