Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2007, 14:06   #16

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
Rich - Don't believe all the hearsay about different makes of boats being bad or good. Many so called bad ones have circumnavigated and still are. Some supposedly great Water boats">blue water boats have sunk or broken up quickly sometimes from poor materials etc. In your earlier question along these lines, I suggested Irwins. The 38 has everything your are looking for and are well built. They are priced right and like any used boat out there, need to be properly surveyed to reveal any serious problems and there will be some boats that have them just like there are Hinckleys, Pearsons, Oysters or any other make of used boat you may care to name may have problems. The Irwins are very stable, forgiving and seakindly and are not overpowered by huge mains etc. They sail respectably enough and motorsail well too. Light air is not their strong point but they are not racers and you don't want a racer anyhow. They do provide great roominess and good layouts and you can upgrade as you see fit easily as the interiors are easy to get at as is the engine. The decks are wide, uncluttered and safe. I own a 37 which is the prcursor to the 38 and I like it. If there is a next boat for me, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the 38 latest version. I know of 2 of them that ended up on the rocks in storms and bashed to death for more than a day. Both were wrote off but both owners were so impressed with the strength of the boat that they bought another Irwin 38 right away. This is not hearsay - you can go to the Irwin owners forum for pictures and stories. There are several others that survived hurricanes where every other boat around them was severely damaged, sunk or lost. So much for hearsay!

You will find the boat that is right for you - just be carefull of the purchase transaction and survey - these are the real danger areas when purchasing a boat.

Good luck, Randy
Old 26-04-2007, 14:38   #17

Boat: currently "on the beach"
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy - finally a new "which boat" thread - always entertaining.
You will find many folks love the Pearson 422 and 424.
You will also find many love the Bristols and Hood Wauquiez
Bristol and Hood will sail better. Pearson will cost less.
Aft cabin or center cockpit is a big early decision.
The fun is in the hunt.

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2007, 18:35   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
The fun is in the hunt.
Clearly. The best advice is don't let other people tell you what boat to buy. You need to learn enough to jump off the cliff on your own.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2007, 22:17   #19

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichT

I plan to 1)buy a boat on the west coast, get some additional experience in the area, then head through the canal to the Caribbean, or 2) just buy on the east coast, take it to Florida, near family, and start out from there for waters south, caribbean, s. america, etc.

So, I would like suggestions, by name, and even model of boats in the 36/40 range that you guys think will fit the bill... So, I'm looking for solid, well designed, good sailors, under a hundred grand, ready to go basically, enough head room thoughout the boat for me, i.e.over 6', good storage, living area, that will heave to in a blow, take some pounding should I get caught in a storm..

Ideas anyone, all suggestions gratefully accepted....

RichT.
Yo Rich,

NO ONE can pick a boat for you.

A boat picks you.

To my knowledge there is no shortcut to due diligence when it comes to buying a boat. Being well-informed is a life's work. The more you know about boats and boating, the better your chances of making a good decision.

Take some sailing lessons. Go sailing with friends. Join a sailing club in which there are choices of boats to sail. Go to boat shows. Charter a few different boats. Spend time on the water. Become expert at sailing. Buy or rent an inflatable boat with outboard, and explore every yacht harbor you have access to.

If you are convinced you want to buy a yacht far from home consider the additional expenses involved. If it's the west coast, subscribe to Latitude 38 and San Diego Log. Are you a competent sailor and navigator?

When buying a used boat which will undoubtedly need repairs/ refurbishment/ upgrades, figure everything costs twice as much, and takes three times as long as you might guess. Be realistic in establishing a purchase budget, allowing an equal amount for repairs and upgrades. Headroom is one thing--a boat which is too big for you is quite another.

Try to satisfy yourself with a modern diesel-powered fiberglass boat model which has been made by the hundreds, preferably one with a large owner association.

Armed with lots of knowledge from your own research you will know it when the right boat picks you.

best, andy
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2007, 22:02   #20

Talking

I agree with Paul ... it is very hard to suggest a boat type. Quit few "future sailors" are living on board in a marina and dreaming of sailing ... so ... what is the best boat for them ... I guess an RV on water would be the best choice . A performance boat ... ok ... who needs one? I guess the sporty sailor with a regatta in mind. And now there are sailors like Francis Chichester, Naomi James, Bernard Moitessier etc ... etc ... they probably know exactly what they want. So ... as you can see ... the question should be … are you prepared? Donald Hamilton wrote ones ... When you've done a reasonable amount of homework, accumulated a reasonable amount of equipment, and run a reasonable number of tests and checks, then it's time to go to sea - and keep going.

Cheers
Fritz
Old 29-04-2007, 12:19   #21

Boat: To be determined
Send a message via MSN to RichT
Back in town

Hi all,
Thanks for all the input. I realize that eventually I will have to decide for myself, but input from you guys, and gals, is helping me a lot. It gives me a lot of things to think about and consider, and the advice, and experience, from those who have owned/sailed a particular model also adds to my store of knowledge.

I will keep looking at boats/ads/websites/etc. and trying to narrow the field. It's true that the hunt is part of the fun, but I really don't want to expend a ton of energy going in a direction that makes no sense whatsoever, like with the Yorktown. Hearing from others with direct, hands on, owner experience is very valuable.

Randy, I notice some fairly distinct differences in the 37 Irwin vs. the 38, although they are similar. What, in particular, would you see as advantages of one over the other?? You can PM me if you would rather not eat up webspace here. And, thanks for the perspective.

Thanks to all,
RichT

ps. the bike trip across the Mojave was fun, but I think I'm getting too old for this lifestyle. Time to move on to cruisin g the Caribbean, me thinks,,,,
RichT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2007, 13:19   #22
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirsegeln
I agree with Paul ... it is very hard to suggest a boat type. Quit few "future sailors" are living on board in a marina and dreaming of sailing ... so ... what is the best boat for them ... I guess an RV on water would be the best choice .
Something like this?

Cool Amphibious Manufacturers Ie

That's from this thread:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-say-8007.html

TaoJones