Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 09:28   #31

Boat: Rhodes 45'
Re: Which size Rocna anchor for my boat?

I have always stuck by traditional. The heavier duty the better and the proven over the decades but the Rocna anchor is legitimately a "new and improved."
Lucky me, I get to take my old but never in salt water hull and go completely through it. This means I know all her systems cause I installed them. Every inch from stem to stern,(Monitor wind vain I mean).
The bowsprit is welded schedule 40 2" stainless pipe. It's so rigid it required elbows to turn it back. Some may know or recall the Rawson 30' and her need for the added sprit to sail windward. The anchor storage made me rethink the whole bow area. She will be as a bull moose there.
From all I've read and all I know there are always extenuating circumstances and thus it is with the anchor. Long before I ever sailed I had a nightmare / premonition that my anchor was slipping and I needed to go up on deck and see what needed done even though I was of course totally exhausted. That said, can there ever be anything more haunting than the fear of the anchor failing or parting all together???
It's not possible to say enough about the subject and make no mistake, we can always improve on ground tackle and for that matter all the systems of a boat.
BTW, If you haven't seen the Rocna video you should. No anchor digs right in and then does so again on the tide change like this design. I have had mostly a soft life her on San Francisco bay where the bottom is mostly mud. I have sailed the coral reefs though off Belize as well.
It is my shared opinion that the Fortress and the Rocna or (or their patent pilferers) have the best solution. Mine is over sized but I am a small vessel and limited on weight and size. I feel strongly that some anchors are simply heavy ear rings for rock and rollers. There just isn't any room on my boat for "maybe as good."
Anchoring is about everything you have and yes, even your life. Our ground line is like the tether that holds a spider, in reverse gravity. if it drags or you are unsure and a good sailor can never relax over it. Whether your a kid or an old timer you need your sleep. A good anchor system is more important than your berth! From the tip of it's tooth to the cleat on your deck there can be nothing that is weak or hooky about it. Sadly, people will sell you death and sleep just fine while you can't sitting on a bumpy ocean secured only by their word -so be advised, their are salesman and then there's people who care.
"What size Rocna?" Better to ask what sort of ground, what sort of free board, what sort of retrieval system -(such as your windlass), what sort rope or chain, what kind of shackles, what sort of weather… It's endless. You take in as much information as you can and that part of the equation is absolutely weightless.
I left no part of my system weak, down to the wire securing each shackle and then if not anything else, I'm VIGILANT. No kind of equipment comes close to vigilance. The sea and wind are forever changing and you must be on top of that. And yeah, get up and go check it!!!!
I have had so many nightmares now. I wake up and want to check my anchor. If I don't I go back to sleep with that worry as a suggestion to my subconscious to dream about. I have been so exhausted I could not get up and didn't care what-so-ever. This happens after a few days without sleep so here we are -full circle: It's absolutely imperative to be firmly attached to the bottom so you can sleep. Nothing is as important on ANY vehicle as it's brakes. The anchor is the brake of the sea going vessel. If you can't stop you can't be expected to rest. No rest= complete and utter madness.
So, that said, why would anyone EVER say, "I'm selling my bad anchor to buy a good one." Would you sell some sorry person a car with no brakes or brakes that kinda worked sometimes or almost? Take that old anchor and give it to a farmer for that which it was intended or maybe some decretive place among the flower pots.
Anchors are serious business, no doubt about it. I have every anchor made by now and the ones I will take along are as follows: #1 (at the ready on the bow roller) is a Rocna. 33 pounder. #2 a Danforth. A well tested good anchor in sand or mud. #3 a folding stainless North hill if you can find one these are great for rock or coral. Otherwise a 'Fisherman' will do. #4 is a fortress. The only reason it's not # one is because it's not general purpose anchor, it's for sand and mud. They are light and store easily so as a back up they fit the bill.
Incidentally, the person who seemed impatient. I have used moorings secured by engine blocks and they dragged all over the place. Weight is not a factor but the idea is to go sailing not re-invent the wheel.
Now, if I had the room I'd start duplicating my selection but then I may not need to if I bring along another handy item. An anchor buoy that doubles for a fender. This offers me the option to pull the anchor at the opposite end when it's stuck. My experience is that when an anchor works well it can be difficult to retrieve.
In closing here I wish to say a couple things to beginners, (most of you likely already know this) NEVER EVER deploy an anchor with no chain at all on it. And likewise never forget to secure your clevis's with wire… I look forward to more being said by anyone and everyone on this most important of subjects.
Fitsthebill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, rocna, size