Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2018, 04:23   #16

Boat: Dix 38
Re: Which would you choose? New boat decisions...

With a budget over $400k you can get a VERY nice boat - just about anything you could want. I'd be surprised if you don't get in-boxed by some sellers with something great to offer you.
Years ago my mate was just setting off with his wife on a round-the-world cruise - spent every last cent building and preparing the boat - and he was extremely nervous at the daunting mission ahead.
I advised him "dammit, everythings done! Just get on and go already" and he did. I watched them sail out of Cape Town, watched the main go up, headsail roll out, and saw them dwindle over the horizon.
10 years later I was there to see them arrive and asked about the most difficult thing they ever encountered on their trip. "Leaving!" he said...
So my advice - don't go for perfection on day one, get the nicest boat you both like, and get to it... the rest is details!
Pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 09:37   #17

Thanks everyone for the sound advice! I am of the opinion that getting a 2-3 year old boat from a seasoned owner is wise...and I agree that the depreciation on a new boat happens the minute you put it in the water, like driving a new car off the lot! She is pickier though. Hates dealing with others mistakes. It will take some convincing to get her to look at a used boat. It would have to look pristine... and have add-ons that she wants anyway. The beauty is that we have time to look and form more solid opinions...

We plan on walking the marinas, meeting other like-minded couples, and learning as much as we can so that when we do pull the trigger, it will be exactly what she wants. I'm the easy one to please...

Will be here more frequently as we grow, and will have many more questions. Looking forward to more input and advice...
Old 13-01-2018, 10:01   #18

Boat: Tartan T4400

We bought a new boat 11 years ago figured 3-5 years to get every thing like we wanted it. Spent the first 5 years correcting issues with the build. It will never be perfect. If I had to do this again I would go used, look for a well maintain boat in the 10 to 15 year range. Even now I see some nice 20 year old boats show up. There are a couple of Norsemen 447 aft cockpit available and are fully refitted. and they have been hold their value steady in the last 5 years. Need to decide you must haves and then nice to have features. I had a requirement for 150 gallons of diesel and a 30 (with pump) gallon gasoline tank so we didn't have to keep jerry jugs on deck. We had a diesel tank added and a custom gas tank fabricated. With the larger tanks and wind and solar staying off the beaten track is easier.
Old 13-01-2018, 10:24   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF!

If you have a budget of well over $250K and you are looking for a modern (relatively new design) boat or even a newest design, or literally a new boat to purchase, I highly recommend spending some time reading the following blog which is written by a CF Member (POLUX) as it contains a wealth of information about boat designs on recently built boats. I would look through many of his articles (blog posts) to get familiar with boats and newest design features and building practices that are more commonly seen in Europe, and more rarely seen in the USA. His blog covers many boats that are seldom mentioned on CF. He keeps up with the latest design and engineering developments on many brands of boats.

Interesting Sailboats

Good luck on your boat hunt!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 11:37   #20

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

If offshore is a serious desire as your indicate, then I would skip the roller furling main, boom or mast.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 13:10   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Choice #1 a used Tartan. I am and will always be a Tartan guy. They are well built and will hold value better.

Choice #2 Jeanneau 44DS — I sail a good number of new boats and I LOVE the 44ds. They are a good size, handle like a dinghy, have plenty of hand-holds below, nice layout, and are fairly well built for a modern boat. Watch the older 45ds as the jib sheets are a trip hazard when exiting the cockpit. Once you know to step over them, all is well. But there is a learning curve.

Big negative is the Velcro fasteners for the overhead. The boat will flex, often when it does the panels pop.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 13:52   #22

Great input by everyone... across the board! I am planning on printing this thread so my fiance can read it and I am so pleased with the continued input that grows every time I come back! Makes our choices more meaningful taking into consideration all your experience!

Much gratitude to you all~
Limi
Old 13-01-2018, 14:23   #23

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limi View Post
getting a 2-3 year old boat from a seasoned owner is wise
I would be ok with a 10 year old or older boats too. You should however have a trusted surveyor who identifies all the potential problems. Boats do not age the same way as cars do. A 10 year old GRP hull can be as good as new. It all depends on if the boat is well built an well maintained. Boats have not changed much during the last 10 years, at least if we talk about solid blue water cruisers (fast and light boats have seen more evolution).

Quote:
It will take some convincing to get her to look at a used boat. It would have to look pristine...
If she wants to avoid technical problems, old boats could be quite as good as new, and sometimes better, since new boats may also have some problems that need to be fixed during its first year. If she wants latest fashion, then new boat it shall be. If she wants a nice boat to live in, then you could look for a good brand with well designed, well built and well maintained interior (maybe some wood instead of plastic). When we chose our boat, we wanted a well built boat that would feel like home, and not like a plastic cup. People value houses that are 100 years old, if they are well designed and in good condition. To some extent well built boats follow the same logic.

If she is a typical female, let her decide what the interior will be like, and she will let you choose the sailing related stuff outside. My theory is that women are happy in the boat if they feel it is truly their home, not just a prison to stay in while their husband sails . The boat should be stable too.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 15:33   #24

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50 (aka 49)

One more vote for buying used for the reasons already stated.

My rules of thumb are:

1. Buy as small as you can tolerate/are comfortable with (and not as big as you can afford).

2. Try to find a boat that already has a maximum of the options you want, which sometimes means that you unfortunately end up buying bigger than what you ought to because there are far fewer smaller boats kitted out with all the toys than big boats.

(Hence my user name 2big2small. )

You ought to find everything you need for a total aquisition cost of under 200k, possibly even under 150k but I guess the Admiral won’t let you.
2big2small is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat