Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2019, 06:31   #1

Boat: Hobbie Getaway 5m
Whitbread from 89 , seeking opinion

Hi
I have three main questions seeking opinion and advise from long time salty sailors.
- If Whitbread 89-90 models, if they are worth buying?

- What would a realistic value for such boats with rod rigging from 1995-96 checked in 2011, older 2011 NS 3DL sails, no delivery / transport mainsail, grounded once though no damage, few scratches on the bulb. One of the hatch leaking some water (slight drip). Rudder bearing from 1995 or 2011 (not sure).
No dinghy, heads without holding tanks

- if anyone has changed rod rigging for 102ft mast , 4 spreader, cutter rig, one backstay and know how much does it cost to change all in one go? And place where it can done without costing arm and leg?

Thanks in advance.
( I m looking for a blue water ( not for racing) strong boat thus considering these boats as these boats have done water sailing">blue water sailing in rough conditions).
Old 16-08-2019, 07:00   #2

Boat: Angus Primrose One design 45ft And Duncanson 34 Mk2
Re: Whitbread from 89 , seeking opinion

I bought an ex racing boat from 1970. Built for the Admirals cup..
I renewed everything on it except now the interior is left to do..
You can expect to replace everything on it.. The mast should be ok.. It doesnt come under too much stress.. BUt the rigging if you dont want rod, you can buy a roll of wire and mechanical fittings to do that and it would be all done for less then 5 to 8K gbp i reckon. Rod rigging would be 2x that. The engine a new 100hp would be 15k gbp nanni or Beta.. Sails.. Well you can spend 50K on them.. Mine cost me 20k gbp for woven dynema. Then there is electrics.. Its an oldish boat.. Better off rewiring it all. Can be easy if done yourself.. I reckon a month spent on it.. Or pay someone 5 to 8k gbp to do it. So times 2.3 for Aud or whatevre the rate is now. All the other stuff is just ongoing little maintenance.. Rudder bearing i reckon 200 quid max. Do it yourself.. If you cant you shouldnt be sailing.. Leaking hatch is a seal.. 100 quid for material. Dinghy is least of your probs. You are buying 1 boat.. A dinghy makes 2 boats.. Heads without holding tanks can be easy fixed by buying a cassette toilet from ebay for like 30 quid to use in harbour.. If out at sea.. Use the sea toilets. Or just piss in the seatoilets anyways.
nauticalnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 15:33   #3

Boat: Lidgard yacht 32ft

Is the hull alloy & what design? Is it one of the ex Whitbread yachts that have been put in charter at Airlie Beach?
Davo1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 17:53   #4

Boat: Hobbie Getaway 5m

Thanks for the replies, hull is composit, custom mast and all those have rod riggings. Yes, available ones are Whitbread ex-racers, I could only find in EU. I dont know any as such available here in AU.
Old 17-08-2019, 10:25   #5

Not ideal except if you want to race it, IMHO
briblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 11:56   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-AU View Post
Hi
I have three main questions seeking opinion and advise from long time salty sailors.
- If Whitbread 89-90 models, if they are worth buying?

- What would a realistic value for such boats with rod rigging from 1995-96 checked in 2011, older 2011 NS 3DL sails, no delivery / transport mainsail, grounded once though no damage, few scratches on the bulb. One of the hatch leaking some water (slight drip). Rudder bearing from 1995 or 2011 (not sure).
No dinghy, heads without holding tanks

- if anyone has changed rod rigging for 102ft mast , 4 spreader, cutter rig, one backstay and know how much does it cost to change all in one go? And place where it can done without costing arm and leg?

Thanks in advance.
( I m looking for a blue water ( not for racing) strong boat thus considering these boats as these boats have done blue water sailing in rough conditions).

So you'd better buy a blue water boat and not a racer!!

These boats were built to go faster than others (with professional and numerous crew) and not for blue water cruising;
and to last just for the race, no longer!

Some years ago the second owner of Merit found that the boat was not so stronger as he thought contacted Farr, Farr replied that he designed the boat for the Whitbread, not for lasting for years!
Yellow bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 14:07   #7

Boat: Lidgard yacht 32ft

Airlie Beach in Queensland has a lot of ex whitbread racing yachts. I think that they are Aluminium construction. They are used for taking backpackers sailing.
Davo1404 is offline   Reply With Quote