Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2020, 17:33   #136

Boat: Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Re: Why do you guys like monohulls so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
What’s your budget as that doesn’t seem realistic.

You can get a 5-7 year old 50' production boat for around 175,000 US$ out of charter. How much would be a comparable Cat, given that most of them come out of charter as well? You tell me!

-Richard (VK4WRS)
Old 29-10-2020, 17:43   #137

Boat: Currently looking for my next boat.

Age is a factor, plenty of monohulls from 1970 onwards that have been proven over time readily available on the market for CHEAP.

For me cost is the major issue, every dollar I save on harbor / haulout / maintenance fees is another day I can keep sailing.

Anyone who wants to sail everywhere from the way north to the way south will need good windward performance at some point in the journey as well.
Spider0804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 18:23   #138
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Why do you guys like monohulls so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin View Post
You can get a 5-7 year old 50' production boat for around 175,000 US$ out of charter. How much would be a comparable Cat, given that most of them come out of charter as well? You tell me!

-Richard (VK4WRS)

You stated “the cheapest used multihull”, which would be considerably less than $175k.
We’ve owned quite a few cruising catamarans and never paid that much for any of them.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 18:28   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
+1 Jim Cate and his ever-wonderful voice of reason.

River, you've never sailed offshore in a cat for weeks/months. Once you have, you'll know why monohull lovers love their boats.

Cats are certainly great for the whole condo-on-the-water thing, though - if you have the money and you can find dockage space.

You need to get out sailing soon. Two years of reading this forum and watching videos is enough.

Warmly,
LittleWing77
I agree LittleWing. I'm working on doing that as soon as my constraints permit.
river251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 18:52   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
8 pages of replies in 24 hours, OP MIA since first post......another day in a cat vs mono thread eh.
Hi Yihang, I feel very fortunate when there are responses to a question, and I tend to just be quiet and read and learn. What I learn here goes far to shape my thinking. Thank you to you and to everyone who is generous enough to throw their thoughts in! It is really a big help!

I think in this thread I have gained an appreciation of the fact that people really do like the way a monohull sails and that really gives me something to chew on. There is more praise for the way a mono sails than there is concern about the rolling. In fact nobody even mentions the rolling.

Thanks Yihang.
Old 29-10-2020, 18:53   #141

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

It may be because the vast majority of the boating worlds infrastructure is set up for mono hull boats, and that it is just plain easier to find a marina to accommodate your mono hull boat, get a haul out, or get a slip elsewhere while out for the weekend, or the next two years. All in all mono hulls are far more affordable for far more people who enjoy sailing and the associated lifestyle. As well many folk just prefer the sailing characteristics of a mono under sail.

Now having said all that, it totally okay for folk to like, purchase and sail multi hull boats. After all what boat one chooses really has little meaning in the grand scheme of life, just enjoy yourselves, and be less concerned about why humans do similar things in slightly different ways, it really doesn’t matter after all.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 19:42   #142

Boat: Bavaria 50 Cruiser

Quote:
You stated “the cheapest used multihull”, which would be considerably less than $175k.
We’ve owned quite a few cruising catamarans and never paid that much for any of them.

You are lucky!

If I do a search on yachtworld, I do not find any boat I would like to cruise on for less than 200,000 US$ apart from some defective "cyclone" boats in the caribbean. But "hey, it's just fibre glass".....

Regards,

-Richard (VK4WRS)

P.S.: I do not oppose cruising on a decent cat, I just can´t afford so....

P.P.S.: This is a good example of the typical pricetag of cats coming out of charter:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2014/leopard-44-3677671/

Old 29-10-2020, 19:51   #143
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

When it is all said and done we are all enjoying the same winds , same sunsets and the same fun out here on the big water.
Old 29-10-2020, 19:54   #144

If your circumstances allow, just get a trailer sailor and get out there, you don't have to buy your last boat first and you are losing time flattening the learning curve.

I have no regrets coming to that conclusion. Maybe you have already done this but I don't know
Lazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 20:29   #145

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Maybe I was mistaken, when you said “we find”, I thought it was from your experience,
So your basic cruising catamaran would be Lagoon, Leopard and FP. What cruising monohulls would you consider to be equal performers to the catamaran big 3?
"we find, anectodally speaking"

Not sure where you're taking this SMJ, but I'm not playing.
Old 29-10-2020, 20:37   #146
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
"we find, anectodally speaking"

Not sure where you're taking this SMJ, but I'm not playing.
Have you heard from Steve lately ? Figured he would be on this thread considering his pride in his dragonfly trimaran
Old 29-10-2020, 22:06   #147

That is really a nice post, wolfgal. The kind that sinks in and sticks around for a while, adjusting my thinking. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
monohulls because, when they heel, they give me that we're-going-fast feeling, and this, even when the boat is not particularly going fast. all that air filling the lungs, while bracing and holding on! the thrill is thrilling!!!!

monohulls because, among them, there are many, many stunning and lovely creatures! i literally ooh and ah over so many of the plastic classics, just as men do over Marilyn Monroe, Bridgitte Bardot, or, if you are younger, Nathalie Portman (she really is beautiful, smart too). i enjoy how their graceful curves can glide through the water, how the movement can be so soothing. of course, i do not enjoy rolling anymore than anyone else, but it is not as though this is an everyday given. i also enjoy working on and caring for lovely-n-old boats, definitely get the whole labour-of-love thing.

monohulls because i pride myself in being able to feel comfortable in most conditions. what is tough is a bad case of seasickness, of course and/or being exhausted, wet and cold (with the shivers); or sinking into that terrible place when something breaks out there in the middle of nowhere with no idea how to fix it; and then there is that knowing that there is no escaping bad weather/sea conditions and Forever begins...

for me, this "discomfort list" is actually so long that, when i hear that so-in-so needed more "creature comforts" so to be happy on the boat (which seems to point to the need for a cat in many cases), i simply cannot understand...
Old 29-10-2020, 22:54   #148

I like a boat that heels
I like a boat that points
I like a boat that doesn’t pound
I like a boat with a soft motion, not a hard short motion
I get seasick on Cats, and not on good monos
I like to feel the steering
I like finding a berth when I want one
I like only maintaining one engine
I like being able to hold on in the cockpit and in the cabin
I like a boat that looks good
I like being able to use wind self steering

So, if you want a house, buy a house, and if you want a boat buy a boat...
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 22:58   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy1 View Post
If your circumstances allow, just get a trailer sailor and get out there, you don't have to buy your last boat first and you are losing time flattening the learning curve.

I have no regrets coming to that conclusion. Maybe you have already done this but I don't know
I don't know what a trailer sailor is. I presume a sailboat small enough to trailer. Can you cruise in one? Could solve a lot of problems and get me on water sooner.

This sounds interesting. I'll look into them. Thanks.
Old 30-10-2020, 00:07   #150

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Do a search here and you can find a lot. This thread may be of interest:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...es-175115.html
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull