Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2020, 07:26   #226

Re: Why do you guys like monohulls so much?

I like the feedback you get regarding your rig under sail on a monohull but I agree if I were going to go multi I’d go trimaran and the dragonfly would be my top pic
westcare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:31   #227

Boat: Catalina 350

Well, I’m just a coastal cruiser so I keep my boat in a marina. It’s very difficult to find a slip for a cat and expensive.
rick bertram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:39   #228

Boat: Boatless (atm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by river251 View Post
Every time I notice it, there are twice as many people reading the monohulls forum as reading the multihulls forum. I am really curious about this. Cats have what everyone wants, supposedly....no rolling (youtubers Kevin Boothby and Patrick Lane constantly talk about how tiring and unpleasant this is), things stay put, relatively more room. A non-tilted, non-rolling, roomy lifestyle. So what is the attraction of monohulls?

It can't just be cost or that everyone is waiting til they have enough money saved to sell their mono and get a cat. There are good older cats available for not that much more than decent older monos. Or am I wrong, it's the cost?

Two years of reading threads and watching videos and I still don't get it.

Thanks.
Go sailing - you'll immediately see the difference. Personal choice, cruising grounds, experience etc. Most, if not all, cruisers are 'fair weather' cruisers, and as a sweeping generalisation, most cats are not built for heavy off-shore weather and require considerable experience/skill to make it through compared to a monohull.

That's not to say they are any more or less safe, just very different.

(think car v motorbike)
BeerMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:42   #229

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 510, 51ft

Cost is a very big factor.
In Denmark, where I come from, there are very limited marina space for cats, due to the design of our marinas.
And finally I like the sailing performance of monohulls. E.g. when crossing against the wind.
I will never own a cat. Even if I could afford one, I would rather spent the money on a better monohull.
Mancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:47   #230

Quote:
Every time I notice it, there are twice as many people reading the monohulls forum as reading the multihulls forum. I am really curious about this. Cats have what everyone wants, supposedly....no rolling (youtubers Kevin Boothby and Patrick Lane constantly talk about how tiring and unpleasant this is), things stay put, relatively more room. A non-tilted, non-rolling, roomy lifestyle. So what is the attraction of monohulls?

It can't just be cost or that everyone is waiting til they have enough money saved to sell their mono and get a cat. There are good older cats available for not that much more than decent older monos. Or am I wrong, it's the cost?

Two years of reading threads and watching videos and I still don't get it.

Thanks.
Cats are inherently dangerous at sea. They may flip, and then it's over.
A good monohull will right itself, even from an inverted position.
There is no comparison in terms of seaworthiness. Cats are smooth water boats.
Johann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:04   #231

It’s a pure numbers dilemma, Cats are maybe 4% of all sailing vessels on the market, demand outstrips supply. Example: I had a $150k budget for my vessel. I saw 2 cats in my range within 200 miles (Chesapeake Bay), and they were old and needed big work. I had my pick of 30-50 monohulls outfitted for cruising and turn key. Also, outside of a ‘pocket Cat’ with a 14’ beam, slips are rare, as are Marinas with travel lifts that can accommodate a haul out. Obviously the market dynamics are changing as consumers demand more multihull vessels, but with any paradigm shift, it takes decades....that’s the b*tch with history...it unfolds ‘real-time’!
Sofa King Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:05   #232

Boat: X442

It's intriguing to see, yet again, how tastes differ so markedly. The concept of owning a cat is, to be frank, quite alien to me. I have never sailed on a cat, not in my dinghy days nor racing days, am extremely happy with my current one and only mono, and will never in the future sail on a cat.

So:

Quote:
you are not wrong: it's not the cost. It's a different world which I am quite sure does not appeal to me.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:07   #233

Monohulls are far more seaworthy. When things get tough cats can easily flip, and then it's over. A good monohull will right itself even from an inverted position.
Two or three hulls some distance apart, each have very different stresses and loads on them, so a cat is basically trying to tear itself apart in rough water. The structure is more like an aircraft than a boat, and is fragile and dangerous in difficult conditions.
Johann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:15   #234

Boat: no boat any more

...wow, so much expertise in that thread....
Old 02-11-2020, 08:32   #235

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Count me among those who, given the choice, would always choose to sail a monohull. I feel safer in a monohull and find it more enjoyable.
However, I nearly always sail cats - because the people who I am fortunate enough to have sail with me prefer cats hands down. They love the common space of a cat and the ability to move around the boat. They feel more comfortable that the boat does not heel. And my wife, who is the chef, gets nauseous cooking below decks and greatly enjoys being up on the same level as the crew who are lounging on the aft deck while meals are being prepared.
And, per many comments, this is leisure sailing - fair weather sailing, so the downsides of the cats are less germane.
So, monohull for me, deciding alone. Cat for my family and friends.
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:32   #236

Boat: Dufour 385

As always, this is a specious comparison. Have sailed both in the 40 foot range and they are just fundamentally different games.

Cat v. Mono is NOT the question.
The question is: what are your requirements?
Then budget comes in.
Define your requirements! Not your wishes or biases or some ridiculous situation you will never be in.
And ignore all the comparison B.S.
And ignore generalizations. Each boat is different.

Bob
Bunnellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:37   #237

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnellr View Post
As always, this is a specious comparison. Have sailed both in the 40 foot range and they are just fundamentally different games.

Cat v. Mono is NOT the question.
The question is: what are your requirements?
Then budget comes in.
Define your requirements! Not your wishes or biases or some ridiculous situation you will never be in.
And ignore all the comparison B.S.
And ignore generalizations. Each boat is different.

Bob
finally a reasonable voice! (although: 1. question is BUDGET!)
Old 02-11-2020, 08:37   #238

Boat: 1984 Rhodes 22

Yeah, our little Rhodes 22 is trailerable so we pull it out around Halloween and keep her in a boatyard for the winter; I do a lot of the maintenance myself, and 6 months in the yard is 1/3rd the cost of the slip for 6 months. We can lower the mast ourselves, etc. Our marina has maybe two slips that could handle a good size cat versus 40 or 50 that can handle a large (or small) monohull.
edexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:40   #239

Boat: Bristol 40 yawl

That's an easy one. Multihulls are just as happy upside down as right side up.
Kinnikinik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:41   #240
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

So many replies from those who have no experience.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull