Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2020, 21:26   #16

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Why do you guys like monohulls so much?

I don’t live aboard; my boat is a toy, and an irrational passion. I don’t care about the practical advantages, and without them, cats don’t have the same romance to me that monos do: they’re uglier, more plasticky, less elegant. Heck, I even like heeling.

The only cats I’d consider buying are the only ones I find worth lusting over, Gunboats and HH’s. I can’t afford either one, but then, I can’t afford a new Oyster, either. Maybe one day?
ChrisJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 22:18   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJD View Post
I don’t live aboard; my boat is a toy, and an irrational passion. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
they’re uglier, more plasticky, less elegant. Heck, I even like heeling.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm an old geezer, but the MHs are not pleasing to my eye.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 23:07   #18

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
That’s one heck of a trailer to move Panope around! Good point though.

I don’t know of any trailerable catamarans (besides beach cats), but Farrier/Corsair and other trimarans certainly do fold or demount for road trailering. I heard someone say that their fastest passage to Mexico from Vancouver was on the I5 and towing their F27 aft cabin. They spent a lovely 6 weeks on the Sea of Cortez and no Baja Bash to boot!
Those Farriers! I get so excited about them every time I see one on the road.

One day, if I swallow the anchor, I’d love to get one.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 23:25   #19

Boat: C&C 27 Mk V

In a heavy gust you have to steer the wrong way or tip over!
Old 27-10-2020, 23:44   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

When a cat rolls they tend to stay upside down . A monohull tends to want to keep rolling till the stick is pointing back up .

That said I have owned mono and trimarans the tri is faster but I really prefer the 18 degree heel that my mono loves to sail at . Not to mention pointing
Old 28-10-2020, 00:32   #21

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

For me it would depend on the sailing location. For pottering around the Caribbean, or travelling the right way around the usual routes, a catamaran would be good. But where I learnt to sail in the UK, and where I sail now in nz, I'm not at all convinced by them. Just locally, when there's a forecast of 10kt winds, there can easily be areas of 35kts suddenly arriving without notice from any direction. Uncomfortable on a monohull when you have too much sail out. Could be problems with a cat in situations like that. And it seems that 75%+ of the time I'm sailing upwind anyway. But the looks are the biggest problem for me.

At the moment I don't have the budget priorities to put $1m+ into a nice capable cat. But if I did, there's no doubt that a fabulous monohull would be top of my shopping list.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 00:37   #22

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
When a cat rolls they tend to stay upside down . A monohull tends to want to keep rolling till the stick is pointing back up .

That said I have owned mono and trimarans the tri is faster but I really prefer the 18 degree heel that my mono loves to sail at . Not to mention pointing

A cruising cat flips over about as often as cruising monohulls sink - it happens, but rarely for both. And at least with the cat you still have your boat, albeit not super useful. Let’s stop this silly ‘cats flip/roll over so aren’t safe for cruising’ meme.

How many monos that roll over lose their rigs? Most? And some lose their structural integrity through hatch and/or window loss, engines and/or batteries falling through cabin tops, etc. Then sink. Horrible. Fortunately rare.

Our cat heels about 3-4 degrees when we go upwind in 15+ knots - not enough to slide things or render horizontal surfaces useless, but noticeable. I’m sure your tri, if it was anything like the F31 I used to sail in the Pacific Northwest, heeled at least 10 degrees when going upwind and reaching. And the F31 pointed at least as high as most racing monohulls. But it’s great that you prefer your current boat. Enjoy!
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 01:14   #23

I wonder if there is a french version of cruiserforums where everyone is only talking about pogos, RMs, ovnis and fast multis. Where the mere mention of a heavy mono hulls will get you banned for life.

I also wonder how many people go from a Catamaran to a mono hull for full time cruising.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 02:03   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
river251
Don why do you need a yacht with training wheels?
Cheers

I already have my own boat, thank you. [emoji23]
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 02:13   #25

We prefer the motion of a ballast stabilized mono over the motion of a form stabilized multi. We prefer a long heavy mono over a shorter lighter mono for cruising. Waterline and weight is your friend when cruising, it provides speed, payload capacity and comfort. Lastly, there are so many great used monos on the market for a fraction of their new price. What a wonderful time to be in the market for a used boat.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 02:41   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
We prefer the motion of a ballast stabilized mono over the motion of a form stabilized multi. We prefer a long heavy mono over a shorter lighter mono for cruising. Waterline and weight is your friend when cruising, it provides speed, payload capacity and comfort. Lastly, there are so many great used monos on the market for a fraction of their new price. What a wonderful time to be in the market for a used boat.
Speed only when the wind is 15-20 knots? I'm guessing the engines are on when the wind is below 10.

Here is a Balance 526 sailing 6.4 knots in 6 knots going into the wind, 30 degrees apparent. With only main and self tacking jib(not the thumbnail, but that's what they say in the comments).... Just wow... Although all other points you mentioned are dead accurate.

Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 03:02   #27

Boat: Antigua 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by river251 View Post
(youtubers Kevin Boothby and Patrick Lane constantly talk about how tiring and unpleasant this is)

Thanks.
I don't get the hommage to youtubers
Talk Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 03:08   #28

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Horses for courses.

Each boat design meets different needs. Modern cats are great for cruising comfort. High performance monos or tris are great for going fast. Budget, intended use, personal preferences all play a role.

I have both a cat and a mono. The cat is great for cruising. The mono, a Hobie 33, is great fun for day sails and racing (would not be a good cruising boat)...way fast and goes to windward like a knife...the cat...not so much.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 03:48   #29

Boat: Volkscruiser

Yihang that's the multihull fantasy, plenty of cats I have sailed on would be lucky to do 6 knots in 10 knots of breeze.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 03:54   #30

Boat: Bavaria C57

Cat's are a bit like marmite, you either like them or you don't. Personally I don't.
Haddock1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull