Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2020, 05:56   #301

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
Re: Why do you guys like monohulls so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
Actually has anyone heard of a production-ish cat doing the classic RTW through the southern capes route? Would love to read about it.

Is Jimmy Cornell going to be the first? Great publicity for Outremer again when he is done with it.

A lot of people were saying his ovni would stay turtle up because it doesn't have a fixed deep keel. He said he always run ahead of a storm instead of slowing down and it has worked all these years.
Previous owners of our cat did rtw. I only have this one pic off their old chart plotter.
They said highest wind speeds they saw was 65 knots sustained. Sailing 17 knots barepoles. They said it was scary but didn't feel in dangerClick image for larger version

Name:	20200929_102039.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	226381
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:13   #302

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
Previous owners of our cat did rtw. I only have this one pic off their old chart plotter.
They said highest wind speeds they saw was 65 knots sustained. Sailing 17 knots barepoles. They said it was scary but didn't feel in dangerAttachment 226381
That's awesome. But probably not via cape horn and roaring40s and furious 50s . I guess if you are sailing down there it's probably a race or RTW solo attempt. No Jesse martins or Tania aebis in a catamaran?

If someone wants to lend me a seawind 1160 and 300 days worth of food.....
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:20   #303

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Whats an auto pilot I and many monos use windvanes.
Yeah, especially on smaller monos it's hard to power a much more convenient autopilot vs a cat with acres of space for solar panels, so you can live like a human being.

Plus you need those giant wheels because they require a lot more force to turn the rudder.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:21   #304

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick bertram View Post
Well, I’m just a coastal cruiser so I keep my boat in a marina. It’s very difficult to find a slip for a cat and expensive.
With a 35ft mono, look at comparable size cats...most are in the 14-16ft beam range and no issues getting a slip.

Now if you are talking about 45ft Cat, how easy is it to find a slip for a 55ft mono for comparable space?
Old 03-11-2020, 06:30   #305
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Yeah, especially on smaller monos it's hard to power a much more convenient autopilot vs a cat with acres of space for solar panels, so you can live like a human being.

Plus you need those giant wheels because they require a lot more force to turn the rudder.
Not just small monos has an Aries on my spencer 42 . For under sail ( vind vanes sail to the wind auto pilot back then only sailed a compass rose.) And yes I had an auto pilot for when under power .
You don't need the wheel to steer a cat its just easier and more convenient to sync 2 rudders . ( from a pure engineering standpoint.)

I live just great like a human being on my current columbia defender .
So its not a cat let's you live like a human being its you can have al the power hungry toys you think you need or want. I have my rice cooker and my espresso machine. What more does one need
Old 03-11-2020, 06:33   #306
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
With a 35ft mono, look at comparable size cats...most are in the 14-16ft beam range and no issues getting a slip.

Now if you are talking about 45ft Cat, how easy is it to find a slip for a 55ft mono for comparable space?
There are 6 65 ft slips currently in my marina . Then there is also the breakwater mooring
Old 03-11-2020, 06:38   #307

Quote:
There are 6 65 ft slips currently in my marina . Then there is also the breakwater mooring
So as I said, no issues getting a slip for a cat when comparing apples to apples.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:40   #308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
Actually has anyone heard of a production-ish cat doing the classic RTW through the southern capes route? Would love to read about it.
Gemini used to have an ad campaign where they found a guy who was cruising the channels at the tip of S. America.

Most of the "blue water" obsessed would claim a Gemini shouldn't be on anything more than a mill pond.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:44   #309

Quote:
Not just small monos has an Aries on my spencer 42 . For under sail ( vind vanes sail to the wind auto pilot back then only sailed a compass rose.) And yes I had an auto pilot for when under power .
You don't need the wheel to steer a cat its just easier and more convenient to sync 2 rudders . ( from a pure engineering standpoint.)

I live just great like a human being on my current columbia defender .
So its not a cat let's you live like a human being its you can have al the power hungry toys you think you need or want. I have my rice cooker and my espresso machine. What more does one need
Living like a Human Being was a joke...somewhat. For similar size, the cat is much more comfortable.

Modern autopilots can be set to sail to the wind. That's like claiming horse drawn carriages are better than cars because you have to constantly hold the wheel but a horse will tend to stay on the road even if you aren't paying attention.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:46   #310

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:

How so?
Most big wheels are for steering from either side of cockpit in single wheel setups not for mechanical advantage.

Most monos below 45 feet could easily be tiller steered but no one seems to like tillers
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:54   #311

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
How so?
Most big wheels are for steering from either side of cockpit in single wheel setups not for mechanical advantage.

Most monos below 45 feet could easily be tiller steered but no one seems to like tillers
This is part of the problem in this discussion...you have to define comparable boats...and that's not a simple thing that's easy to get everyone to agree to. Tons of posts in this thread cherry pick to prove a point.

Example: For a lot of monos, they have the old barn door style rudders. The wheels are large because it takes a lot of force to turn the rudders. Cats are rarely set up that way, so it's less common of an issue.

Of course, with monos, there is a major division between the old style full keel boats vs the more modern fin keel with spade rudder...if we are going to talk blue water capability, many of the full keel propoenents will claim the fin keels are not Water boats">blue water boats because the keels fall off all the time.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:59   #312

Yes agreed. A cat usually has lots of space for solar whereas on a mono you can struggle (and it's always a compromise).

Quote:
Nonsense. How big a boat are you talking about? Friend of mine has a CNB and the wheels don't look big to me. This is a 66 footer.

Quote:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cnb.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	226387  
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:44   #313

Boat: Irwin 30 Citation

This is a really dumb question. Cats have sails and monohulls have sails. Other than that they are very different boats. Why do some people like motorcycles and others like cars? For me, cats are like big motor-homes that float on water with sails.
upstateny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:23   #314
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateny View Post
This is a really dumb question. Cats have sails and monohulls have sails. Other than that they are very different boats. Why do some people like motorcycles and others like cars? For me, cats are like big motor-homes that float on water with sails.

Does this look like a motor home?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0966.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	226393
So many different types and designs of catamarans and monohulls.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:37   #315
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Does this look like a motor home?
Attachment 226393
So many different types and designs of catamarans and monohulls.
But a SIG 45 isn't just a normal run of the mill cruising cat. yes you can charter one but at up to 10k€ a week. Its not really your basic cruising cat.
And buying a used 12 year old one will set you back almost a million USD before taxes and vat.

They are nice none the less .

Tags
hull, monohull