Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2020, 12:43   #376
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Why do you guys like monohulls so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Coring is bad below the waterline..

For the mono that's the entire hull.
Why is coring bad below the waterline?
Please explain your opinion .
Old 05-11-2020, 12:57   #377

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
I don't know where you are shopping, but a 40' cat <7 years old is currently selling $200-240k.
Not sure where you are but yachtworld only has 1 Cat that fits your criteria...Worldwide
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 13:08   #378

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Ohm View Post
Obviously this post was written by someone a little entitled...

WTF is “entitled”? To what?

Quote:
...fiscal realities are real.
Catamarans are crazy expensive compared to monohulls. More expensive to make, buy, outfit, haul out, store, etc. It’s not even comparable. We all don’t have hundreds of thousands of dollars to spend and some of us never will.

Any catamaran in my price range was either mast less or major rigging problems, no engine, obviously sunk, or the likes. Many more quality used monohulls.
Cost to build and buy, yes

Cost to outfit - just one extra engine, offset by smaller rigging, sails and deck equipment

Cost to haul - yes, but not a daily expense, nor even annual (except if you live in some place where you have to haul for the winter), and not really that much compared to everything else one spends money on

Cost to store - maybe, but can be mitigated by avoiding expensive marinas. Not as easy for weekenders, but certainly possible for cruisers. Hey, we were able to find a cheap berth with no catamaran surcharge right next to one of Auckland’s largest marinas - we pay less than a 40 foot monohull does in the marina.

You don’t mention (etc?) maintenance - same. The second engine adds a little bit of extra cost, but all the rest is the same.

Less used boat choice at lower price points - absolutely true.

Quote:
...But the worst part was finding one with adequate headroom that wasn’t a 40’ cat which I couldn’t afford. Im 6’1” and personally like to stand up fully wherever I can. Outside of a small space in the pontoons (?) smaller catamarans are really lacking in headspace...
Less used boat choice, true. As one example, a Lagoon 380 has full headroom. I believe the Gemini 105 does also.

Quote:
...Catamarans also don’t sail as well in my opinion especially with any wind forward of the beam...
Some catamarans don’t sail well, others sail great on all points of sail. Just as with monohulls.

The ARC results show that generic cruising monohulls and generic cruising catamarans perform roughly the same on downwind trade wind passages.

Quote:
...I also prefer how my monohull feels at anchor. I’ve known catamaran folks who’ve gotten seasick at anchor due to all the constant back and forth. Not to mention the constant and sometimes loud slapping...
Have to call BS on that. Getting seasick at anchor on a cat, seriously? Possible if on a monohull when wind and swell don’t align, but on a cat bobbing up and down?

Regarding hull slap, have you ever slept in the quarter or stern berth on a monohull with a slightly raised transom and large flat stern sections? Almost all cats have narrow stern sections without large flat sections. No constant slapping!!

I’ve heard that older Leopards with their hard hull chines sweeping down to the stern waterlines generate slap noise under those, but that’s a very specific design.

Quote:
...Sailing isn’t just for the rich nor should it be. It’s like asking why doesn’t everyone drive some luxury SUV...

My thought is we are seeing more and more catamarans because the economic disparity has become so great in the past few years. Same reason we are seeing a boom in mega yachts.
The traditional catamaran cruising couple (from my experience with catamaran owners in S. Florida) is retired and has no real worry about money and hasn’t lived paycheck to paycheck for some time.
That’s not the average sailor...
Definitely, sailing is for anybody who can acquire or rent a boat. It is!! And there are lots of smaller cruising cats that are like compact cars. All cats are not luxury SUVs, sheesh.

Seriously, catamarans are only for the rich who became so because of economic disparity? Not what I see in NZ and the South Pacific islands.

Regarding retired folks, that’s the majority of cruising couples on any kind of boat. And if you’re cruising you surely aren’t living pay check to pay check anyway.

What the heck is an average sailor? Kind of like trying to define the average golfer or snow skier.

Quote:
...So yes Catamarans are becoming more prevalent but will never make up a majority of cruising boats due simply to costs.
True, they’re generally more expensive. Catamarans also have a much shorter history of large scale production. Who knows what will happen over the next few decades?

It’s kind of like saying electric cars are only for rich people and won’t make up the majority of cars due to cost.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 13:15   #379
CLOD

Boat: none

Why do boaters care what boat someone else likes? Don't answer as I don't care.
Old 05-11-2020, 13:24   #380
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Why do boaters care what boat someone else likes? Don't answer as I don't care.
Hey Don watch your stern side this week eta is apparently headed your way .
Passed over a friend as a cat 5 over the weekend down in San Andreas .
Old 05-11-2020, 13:48   #381
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Hey Don watch your stern side this week eta is apparently headed your way .
Passed over a friend as a cat 5 over the weekend down in San Andreas .

apparently it's not going to touch Florida soil .. but head out into the open Gulf as a tropical storm?
Old 05-11-2020, 15:21   #382
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
apparently it's not going to touch Florida soil .. but head out into the open Gulf as a tropical storm?
That is currently a definite maybe
Old 05-11-2020, 16:32   #383

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Where did you get your freezer?
Ebay. From Melbourne Australia,
I picked it up in my car from the importer, Locally,

Kenner, 90 litre Freezer, $450-00 AUD, 240 Volt or 12 volts.
Goes down to - 20 C
I have it set on Minus 18 Celcius,
Its Chinese, Has good reviews from the Camping fraternity here,

It works perfectly on 240 volts from the Marina and in my house before I put it on the boat,
Its main problem for me, It wont fit thru the back bedroom door, My door is only 400 wide,
So it now sits at the back off my salon on the seat behind the table,,
I can lay down on the seat on each side of it,
PITA, but It fits, And I will need it,
They do have smaller units, But I wanted the bigger unit,

320 Amphr AGM's, Running off 500 watts of Solar panels, 13 volts on the multimetre on the batterys, So it should work,
I wired it direct to the battery bank, 12 volt,
Doesnt work, Stated the batterys were too low and tripped out, Duhhh,

So I connected it up to the 12 volt, 240 volt, 3000 watt, Pure Sine, Invertor, Which draws 4 amps to run it,
so a combined 10 amps running it, ,
It works perfectly, Duhhhh,
Goes down to Minus 18 Celcius in half an hour,
The litre of water in it was frozen solid,
Its been working for two weeks and is still at minus 18 Celcius, at 13 volts on the batterys,

Running my 8 inch ONWA GPS, ST 60+ Autopilot, Freezer, Fridge, all my electronics for the boat all day,
Approx 8 hrs.
My Dometic fridge sucks power, So I will be running that on gas,
No wonder the PO had it on gas,
The batterys were on 11.7 volts,
I will be putting another 200 Amphr AGM with 1000 CCA into my battery bank, $450-00 Brand new, also local pick up,
and my RV battery as well, Thats 75 amphr with 900 CCA, Its one of the coil variety, It flicks over my 300 HP Turbo Cat V8 Diesel RV motor instantly,

Overall, Im very happy with it,
Its still trial and error getting every thing working again after my complete refit with two new hulls fitted and all wiring and water lines repaired or renewed,

The new 8 inch ONWA GPS was cheaper than buying new maps for my 4 inch Garmin GPS, Which are unobtainable any way,
Its every bit as good as my Garmin, I had them running together to make sure the new GPS worked,
Plus I can see the ONWA with out wearing glasses to see it,
I put it on a bracket that swings around and I can see it when sitting in the salon,
I still need to stand up and look around every 15 minutes or so to check for boats, Etc when travelling,

Cheers, Brian,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	All my phone piicys 143.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	226489   Click image for larger version

Name:	All my phone piicys 144.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	226490  

Name:	Pro 41 piccys 1216.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	226491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pro 41 piccys 1213.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	434.0 KB
ID:	226492  

Name:	Pro 41 piccys 1189.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	226493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pro 41 piccys 1188.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	226494  

Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 05:13   #384

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
WTF is “entitled”? To what?

Cost to outfit - just one extra engine, offset by smaller rigging, sails and deck equipment
Gonna have to call BS on the "smaller rigging" I have yet to see a catamaran with "smaller rigging" than a comparable monohull. Catamaran rigging loads are higher than a monohull, so why would the rigging be smaller?
Old 06-11-2020, 05:21   #385

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Gonna have to call BS on the "smaller rigging" I have yet to see a catamaran with "smaller rigging" than a comparable monohull. Catamaran rigging loads are higher than a monohull, so why would the rigging be smaller?
I’d never call BS on fxykty since he knows so much about sailing cats but I’m lost here too.

I’ve always seen more robust rigging on cats too
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 05:45   #386

Boat: Hunter 37C
Why do you guys like monohulls so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
We’ve owned one 38’ cat that was less than 7 years old and paid substantially less than $200k. Most expensive cat we’ve owned was a 43’er and was 9 years old when we purchased her. Paid less than $175k for that cat. None of our cats have been a member of the top 3 sellers, and those are probably the ones your talking about?

Im all in for about $20K (includes initial $10k purchase and refit) for my 37’ monohull...

I’m just saying we all don’t have hundreds of thousands of dollars to put into a boat....
Would I like a lagoon 40? Sure but unless I am going to be given one I don’t see a realistic future where I can own one.
Now would I take a Hinckley over a lagoon 40? In a heartbeat I would but that’s my preference. But again I don’t see owning something like that.

On a personal note. I honestly don’t like the ‘sleek modern’ look of most catamarans and find a lot of them...lacking in character so I’ll say.
Sailing Ohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 05:57   #387
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Now would I take a Hinckley over a lagoon 40? In a heartbeat I would but that’s my preference.

gotta admit the Bermuda 40 is a very fine design. given the choice .. I'm leaning towards something like a Tartan 4000 .. you know when my ship comes in. geez what a gorgeous boat
Old 06-11-2020, 06:57   #388

Quote:
Why is coring bad below the waterline?
Please explain your opinion .
Coring is bad below the waterline on any boat because it is immersed 100% of the time if there is any, any potential for a leak or intrusion, it will compromise the core very quickly. Most production cored boats are only cored above the waterline. C&C were first to core hulls and learned on some of their race boats and production boats what happens when you core below the waterline. It can be OK if the owner or subsiquent further owners deal with it correctly (if you add a new thruhull you need to back gouge the core so that you can seal the core and essentially be single skin where the thruhull is. Takes planning and effort)
Old 06-11-2020, 07:04   #389
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Coring is bad below the waterline on any boat because it is immersed 100% of the time if there is any, any potential for a leak or intrusion, it will compromise the core very quickly. Most production cored boats are only cored above the waterline. C&C were first to core hulls and learned on some of their race boats and production boats what happens when you core below the waterline. It can be OK if the owner or subsiquent further owners deal with it correctly (if you add a new thruhull you need to back gouge the core so that you can seal the core and essentially be single skin where the thruhull is. Takes planning and effort)
So a solid foam core will be compromised? In what way?
BTW it doesn't matter solid glass foam core balsa core or any type of wood hull . Proper maintained and best practice when installing additional hull p3netrations should always follow best practices.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:26   #390

Quote:
So a solid foam core will be compromised? In what way?
BTW it doesn't matter solid glass foam core balsa core or any type of wood hull . Proper maintained and best practice when installing additional hull p3netrations should always follow best practices.
Foam core can be compromised also, it Just doesn't rot like balsa. Have a look at Sail life's videos on his deck replacement. His deck was foam cored and had to be completely removed and rebuilt. It was saturated with water and deteriorated (though he did have plywood core running down the middle of the deck). Foam is good but not a perfect material.

The other reason for not coring below the waterline is for impact resistance...

Tags
hull, monohull