Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2020, 12:36   #511

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: Why do you guys like monohulls so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
"... I'm talking about Mom and Pop cruisers...."
this is the next point in favour of the monohulls: it does not end in total desaster, if the nightwatch is maybe a bit slow to foresee & act when a 40kn squall passes through. Ever which way you turn this - the Monhull is more forgiving,even if the platform is "tilty" at times

Is that a squall with a total of 40 knots (doubling the 15-20 knots of trade wind)? If so, that is easily survivable without reefing for anything other than a racing catamaran with full sail up.

If the squall is 40 knots more than the prevailing wind, so 60 knots TWS, that’s a sh*t-show for any kind of boat. The cat may flip, the mono may lose it’s rig and could sink. Bummer. And really, really rare.

Any way you turn it, that tilty deck is a major risk factor to injury and falling overboard. As well as the sweeping boom. Those are complete non-issues for cats.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 12:37   #512

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
And what is your experience level with the varied hull configurations and what conditions have you sailed in with each?

Experience only please . You know what they say about opinions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1605213428.791591.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	226810

I think double u has more experience on a variety of platforms than many of us on CF.
Old 12-11-2020, 12:43   #513
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Attachment 226810

I think double u has more experience on a variety of platforms than many of us on CF.
Thank you for posting his stated experience . At least someone is reading and actually responding to my queries .
Old 12-11-2020, 12:47   #514

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:

Any way you turn it, that tilty deck is a major risk factor to injury and falling overboard. As well as the sweeping boom. Those are complete non-issues for cats.

Yeah, I wouldn't get to carried away there.
I have been on many cats that at times have been hull up with crew sliding down deck and had low booms for increased sail that would take you out easily.

This is on what I would consider a performance cruiser, so not a production boat
One of them was one I owned and built
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 13:31   #515

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't get to carried away there.
I have been on many cats that at times have been hull up with crew sliding down deck and had low booms for increased sail that would take you out easily.

This is on what I would consider a performance cruiser, so not a production boat
One of them was one I owned and built

Hull up with crew sliding down the deck is a racing cat or a performance cruising cat stripped out for racing and with a tall racing rig. That is not the behaviour of a cruising performance cruising cat.

Booms that can hit heads and sweep people overboard are also not present on most cruising catamarans. The boom can be low over areas of the cabin or bimini top that aren’t used for walking in normal circumstances. My point is that when in the cockpit, and often on the side decks, people are below the boom.
Old 12-11-2020, 14:02   #516

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I was going to comment on catching a wave breaking at the top just as you get to it, and I found this video by chance. Just for the sake of reference this video shows how you can time it, or just get a little unlucky, on an otherwise nice day... and still pop up ok... in a monohull

I think any boat catching a wave breaking at the top like this will get tossed a bit. Whether it will threaten a cat or a trimaran I don't know, but it will probably spill a drink or two.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 15:37   #517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I was going to comment on catching a wave breaking at the top just as you get to it, and I found this video by chance. Just for the sake of reference this video shows how you can time it, or just get a little unlucky, on an otherwise nice day... and still pop up ok... in a monohull

I think any boat catching a wave breaking at the top like this will get tossed a bit. Whether it will threaten a cat or a trimaran I don't know, but it will probably spill a drink or two.

Our cat slides sideways when hit by a breaking wave roughly on the beam. Occasionally the acceleration is fast enough to be felt (yup, drinks would be spilt). Sometimes also a huge dump of solid water on deck, cabin, bimini and cockpit. No danger at all (leeward daggerboard fully up, windward daggerboard half down). Minikeels, not sure. YMMV
Old 12-11-2020, 15:49   #518

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

I remember (55 and more years ago) many times going 12 knots down on a following wave entering San Francisco Bay on a Columbia Defender/29. Sometimes suffering a readily-recovered nock down. We were racing! Lightship races!

My father liked the boat because half of its weight was in lead, down low.
Old 12-11-2020, 15:55   #519

Quote:
Our cat slides sideways when hit by a breaking wave roughly on the beam. Occasionally the acceleration is fast enough to be felt (yup, drinks would be spilt). Sometimes also a huge dump of solid water on deck, cabin, bimini and cockpit. No danger at all (leeward daggerboard fully up, windward daggerboard half down). Minikeels, not sure. YMMV
Having never sailed a big cat (only Hobies) I didn't know that you have the windward dagger board down and leeward up. I would have thought it would be the other way around.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 12-11-2020, 15:58   #520

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I remember (55 and more years ago) many times going 12 knots down on a following wave entering San Francisco Bay on a Columbia Defender/29. Sometimes suffering a readily-recovered nock down. We were racing! Lightship races!

Wow, 12 knots? I gotta push mine harder next time I'm out! Musta been a nice bow wave.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 12-11-2020, 16:02   #521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Having never sailed a big cat (only Hobies) I didn't know that you have the windward dagger board down and leeward up. I would have thought it would be the other way around.

Definitely not, with straight (non lifting) daggerboards - leeward always fully up (that is fully out of the water). This prevents ‘tripping’ over the leeward daggerboard in seas.

However, some catamarans are now using curved daggerboards that produce lift - now the leeward daggerboard becomes the primary daggerboard (you certainly don’t want to add lift to the windward hull!). I’m not sure how that works in large seas.
Old 12-11-2020, 16:20   #522
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Hey mark long time . Do you recall the name of the defender ? I am the proud owner of the former sv dont panic . She sailed out of the sf bay for many decades. Green hull white decks . That 4200 of lead at the bottom is its best feature. I have not broken over about 8 surfing here . Now i know what we can make her do
Now the SV Stephen Ulysses
Old 12-11-2020, 16:31   #523

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Hey mark long time . Do you recall the name of the defender ? I am the proud owner of the former sv dont panic . She sailed out of the sf bay for many decades. Green hull white decks . That 4200 of lead at the bottom is its best feature. I have not broken over about 8 surfing here . Now i know what we can make her do
Now the SV Stephen Ulysses
Seeadler. (Convinced my Dad to name the boat after building a plastic model of the German raider.) Cruising Club class D. Came in second on one of the lightship races.
Old 12-11-2020, 17:02   #524
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Seeadler. (Convinced my Dad to name the boat after building a plastic model of the German raider.) Cruising Club class D. Came in second on one of the lightship races.
Wonder how i would do in a single handed transpac.
Old 12-11-2020, 17:11   #525

Boat: Tartan 40
Why do you guys like monohulls so much?

Quote:
Is that a squall with a total of 40 knots (doubling the 15-20 knots of trade wind)? If so, that is easily survivable without reefing for anything other than a racing catamaran with full sail up.

If the squall is 40 knots more than the prevailing wind, so 60 knots TWS, that’s a sh*t-show for any kind of boat. The cat may flip, the mono may lose it’s rig and could sink. Bummer. And really, really rare.

Agree on safety risk of sudden heeling. But there aren’t many wind gusts that will dismast or sink a well found cruising mono. 60 knots shouldn’t come close to danger in a mono if you stay onboard during the knockdown but that’s a scary prospect in a cat if you’re caught with full sails up. Yup rare for cats to flip and monos to sink so why do we keep bringing it up [emoji3]
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull