Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2020, 04:12   #556

Re: Why do you guys like monohulls so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Yep. Barnacle posted the same thing on page one. It's not an absolute, but close.
Sure. Just think how many pages upon pages of cat bashing BS could have been saved if MOST people would just fess up that it's all about $$$!!

Sure there are always the ones that say MONEY has NOTHING to do with their choice of a cheaper mono. Okaaaaayyyyy....if you say so, but I will bet a dollar to a donut that's a MINORITY opinion. And maybe even a dishonest one at that.

And what's up with some of these declarations like "cats don't motor or motor sail well on one engine"???????? Just a recent example.

Every cat I've ever sailed does GREAT on one motor in most conditions. So who are these cat bashing experts really?

So much BS and misinformation....much of which is just laughable.

No surprise that more than a few cat owners have left this forum or have chosen not to post anymore. I've PMed with a few. It's just ridiculous and a complete waste of time to engage on all the repetative cat bashing BS. "Why do cats motor 100% of the time?" is another example of a genius thread.
Old 15-11-2020, 05:22   #557

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
That's it isn't it. If we are forced to 'switch' due to only being able to afford one boat then maybe not. But who would not like to have a Outremer in the tropics, A garcia to flyout to in Patagonia, a sirius 35ds for the french canals and a nice Amel 60 just for kicks.

In the end there is nothing wrong with these boats just our inability to have them all.

Kinda like Jay leno and his cars. Why just be a ford or chevy man when you can have both?
I know you are slightly tongue-in-cheek with your idea about having four boats, spread around the world, so you could enjoy each of their special capabilites.

But even two boats is too much. All of a sudden you have two boats (one is a cat) so three motors, two dingies (two more motors) maybe a car somewhere (another motor). Three refrigerators, God knows how many batteries, alternators, etc etc. It gets so that your things own you, you don't own them.

Ahah, you say, "But if I am that rich I'll have workers keeping everything perfect for me". Then you become a manager, hiring, firing, all sorts of management issues.

Nah, I say keep it simple. Pick one boat, accept its compromises, and enjoy what you have and live lightly, if you can.
Old 15-11-2020, 06:53   #558

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I know you are slightly tongue-in-cheek with your idea about having four boats, spread around the world, so you could enjoy each of their special capabilites.

But even two boats is too much. All of a sudden you have two boats (one is a cat) so three motors, two dingies (two more motors) maybe a car somewhere (another motor). Three refrigerators, God knows how many batteries, alternators, etc etc. It gets so that your things own you, you don't own them.

Ahah, you say, "But if I am that rich I'll have workers keeping everything perfect for me". Then you become a manager, hiring, firing, all sorts of management issues.

Nah, I say keep it simple. Pick one boat, accept its compromises, and enjoy what you have and live lightly, if you can.
Totally agree. I was just trying to say sometimes we become too attached to our boats and become defensive about our choices even though other boats might be better for the purpose they are trying to serve.

Maybe it's not possible to own 4 boats at once but I think it makes sense sometimes to switch boats when there are clearly better choices on the market.

You might start out in the Pacific in a catamaran, switch over to a 35foot small deck saloon for the med and french canals and when your done with that get a garcia and explore the polar regions.

The reason why we don't do this is money and that is also why we have crossover SUVs that's all things to all people, when you really should have a 911 for the weekend, a nice s series sedan for long distances and a kitted out Tacoma/Hilux for offroad camping.

Mono vs Cat is kind of like that. Mono guy start saying cats can't do southern ocean and I would agree there are safer boats for the southern ocean but how many of us sail in the southern ocean. Cats are plenty safe and comfortable for most of things people get up to. And of course a mono is better for marina hopping in the med and baltic and extreme high lat sailing.

I just find it really hard to understand why people like one type of boats, except for the reason given above and that is we become defensive of our choices because we are stuck with it for financial reasons.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 12:30   #559

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Totally agree. I was just trying to say sometimes we become too attached to our boats and become defensive about our choices even though other boats might be better for the purpose they are trying to serve.

Maybe it's not possible to own 4 boats at once but I think it makes sense sometimes to switch boats when there are clearly better choices on the market.

You might start out in the Pacific in a catamaran, switch over to a 35foot small deck saloon for the med and french canals and when your done with that get a garcia and explore the polar regions.

The reason why we don't do this is money and that is also why we have crossover SUVs that's all things to all people, when you really should have a 911 for the weekend, a nice s series sedan for long distances and a kitted out Tacoma/Hilux for offroad camping.

Mono vs Cat is kind of like that. Mono guy start saying cats can't do southern ocean and I would agree there are safer boats for the southern ocean but how many of us sail in the southern ocean. Cats are plenty safe and comfortable for most of things people get up to. And of course a mono is better for marina hopping in the med and baltic and extreme high lat sailing.

I just find it really hard to understand why people like one type of boats, except for the reason given above and that is we become defensive of our choices because we are stuck with it for financial reasons.

We met a couple from Adelaide at Vuda Pt Marina - they keep a Bene 41 in Fiji and fly in each year for the season, and have a Sydney 38 in Adelaide for summer sailing. Not different types of boats, but a use case of multiple boats on a modest budget.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 17:46   #560

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
We met a couple from Adelaide at Vuda Pt Marina - they keep a Bene 41 in Fiji and fly in each year for the season, and have a Sydney 38 in Adelaide for summer sailing. Not different types of boats, but a use case of multiple boats on a modest budget.
I can easily imagine someone having a traditional 30 Footer on the west coast for weekend sailing in the bay and flying in to a Maine cat or a Gemini in the Bahamas for the winter. I don't think anyone would argue a Tartan is better than a catamaran for the Bahamas. People are too caught up on the idea of the one RTW yacht that's more like a spouse than a boat.
Old 15-11-2020, 19:15   #561

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
I can easily imagine someone having a traditional 30 Footer on the west coast for weekend sailing in the bay and flying in to a Maine cat or a Gemini in the Bahamas for the winter. I don't think anyone would argue a Tartan is better than a catamaran for the Bahamas. People are too caught up on the idea of the one RTW yacht that's more like a spouse than a boat.
are you suggesting multiple spouses as well ? one per boat ?...not such a bad idea

cheers,
Old 15-11-2020, 19:18   #562
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
are you suggesting multiple spouses as well ? one per boat ?...not such a bad idea

cheers,
Screw that i can hardly afford the wife i have
Old 15-11-2020, 19:57   #563

Turo is a peer-to-peer Spouse sharing marketplace where you can book any Spouse you want, wherever you want it, from a global community of local hosts. Our mission is to put the world's one billion Spouses to better use.

Car replaced with Spouse
Old 16-11-2020, 05:11   #564

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Sure. Just think how many pages upon pages of cat bashing BS could have been saved if MOST people would just fess up that it's all about $$$!!
So the rest of us are just too poor to own a cat? That's mighty pretentious of you. I know a short pier you can take a long walk off, for holding that opinion.
TheLuckyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 05:50   #565

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLuckyone View Post
So the rest of us are just too poor to own a cat? That's mighty pretentious of you. I know a short pier you can take a long walk off, for holding that opinion.

Overreact much?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 07:33   #566

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:

Sure there are always the ones that say MONEY has NOTHING to do with their choice of a cheaper mono. Okaaaaayyyyy....if you say so, but I will bet a dollar to a donut that's a MINORITY opinion. And maybe even a dishonest one at that.
That's just silly. I think Cats make great sense as far as roominess and livability is concerned, but I don't like their motion underway or at anchor, and it can be difficult to find a place to tie up at many marinas. Also, the ones I've sailed are just ones in the Caribbean charter fleet and to me they feel like a barge that won't go to weather very well and sort of flops over each successive wave, but it has 4 big beds and a big hammock that's great for suntanning on and if we're being honest that's the main attraction to them. Number of beds is a big part of the buying decision for a charter boat but has almost nothing to do with what a good overall sailboat consists of. BUT(!), I realize that modern performance and cruising cat designs sail MUCH better than the ones I've had my limited experience on and if I ever get the chance to sail one, I'm open to chaning my mind about owning one of those more modern and better performing designs. But I haven't put much effort into pursuing a sail on one because there aren't too many around here in Maine and I'm pretty happy with the boat I have right now and I'm familiar with what a PIA it is to sell a boat that you've got tweaked just the way you want it and buy another boat (mono or cat) and get THAT one just the way you want it. But, if I ever do make that decision, money won't be the primary factor at all because I've always paid cash for things and been a saver and can afford to buy about any reasonably sized cruising sailboat that can be run without paid crew. For me it's mostly about the way the charter cats that I've experienced sail and the fact that I'm entrenched in the boat I already own. I am sort of curious about whether a better designed cat would change my mind so hopefully I'll stumble upon the opportunity to sail one in the not too distant future.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 09:46   #567

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:

Yes, I think your absolutely right, well nearly. The truth is dropping 1/4m plus in any 1st world currency into a cat is beyond the reach for many of us. However, with a cheaper mono, guess what we get to spend time on the water rather than sitting on the beach wishing we were going sailing.

I said "nearly". ('ere we go ) Last summer we crossed a shallow bar and motored gently up the bends of a small English river during the summer only to find this tied to a mooring ball. Visually pleasing, well I hope the owner thinks so, but not for me. That boom is above the height of our first spreaders. The photos don't really capture the height, its absolutely huge and probably sails very well without even putting the sails up. Sorry, but there are some really nice cats, Matt and Jessica did a day on a Daz cat whilst in the UK and that would certainly be fun. Back in the real world, we are quite happy with our little mono that we paid cash for, thank you.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat1.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	227056   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat2.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	227057  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat3.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	227058  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 10:24   #568

Look, it might be about the money to some people, but for many of us who have sailed monohulls it is more about the feel. Believe it or not, many of us monohull lovers prefer the way monohulls sail, and that includes heeling, etc etc etc. I want the thrill, the challenge. I have sailed cats and get bored out of my mind.

Quote:

And what's up with some of these declarations like "cats don't motor or motor sail well on one engine"???????? Just a recent example.

Every cat I've ever sailed does GREAT on one motor in most conditions. So who are these cat bashing experts really?

So much BS and misinformation....much of which is just laughable.

No surprise that more than a few cat owners have left this forum or have chosen not to post anymore. I've PMed with a few. It's just ridiculous and a complete waste of time to engage on all the repetative cat bashing BS. "Why do cats motor 100% of the time?" is another example of a genius thread.
Old 16-11-2020, 10:59   #569
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Yes, I think your absolutely right, well nearly. The truth is dropping 1/4m plus in any 1st world currency into a cat is beyond the reach for many of us. However, with a cheaper mono, guess what we get to spend time on the water rather than sitting on the beach wishing we were going sailing.

I said "nearly". ('ere we go ) Last summer we crossed a shallow bar and motored gently up the bends of a small English river during the summer only to find this tied to a mooring ball. Visually pleasing, well I hope the owner thinks so, but not for me. That boom is above the height of our first spreaders. The photos don't really capture the height, its absolutely huge and probably sails very well without even putting the sails up. Sorry, but there are some really nice cats, Matt and Jessica did a day on a Daz cat whilst in the UK and that would certainly be fun. Back in the real world, we are quite happy with our little mono that we paid cash for, thank you.

Pete
That is a lagoon they dont sail to weather to well so that high sided can as is just helping its off weather sailing
Old 16-11-2020, 11:57   #570
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Pete

Yes, to me that is an ugly boat but I’m sure the owners love the space.
I’ve said it many times and I will say it again, you don’t have to spend anywhere near $250k to get a good catamaran, but you most definitely can if you want to!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull