Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2020, 14:11   #571

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978
Re: Why do you guys like monohulls so much?

It has nothing to do with catamarans. Its because they are beautiful to sail and watch sailing. See Velsheda...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Velsheda.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	227069  
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 14:59   #572

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Yes, I think your absolutely right, well nearly. The truth is dropping 1/4m plus in any 1st world currency into a cat is beyond the reach for many of us. However, with a cheaper mono, guess what we get to spend time on the water rather than sitting on the beach wishing we were going sailing.

I said "nearly". ('ere we go ) Last summer we crossed a shallow bar and motored gently up the bends of a small English river during the summer only to find this tied to a mooring ball. Visually pleasing, well I hope the owner thinks so, but not for me. That boom is above the height of our first spreaders. The photos don't really capture the height, its absolutely huge and probably sails very well without even putting the sails up. Sorry, but there are some really nice cats, Matt and Jessica did a day on a Daz cat whilst in the UK and that would certainly be fun. Back in the real world, we are quite happy with our little mono that we paid cash for, thank you.

Pete

Someone hit that boat with the ugly stick. Yikes
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 15:02   #573
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodsail View Post
It has nothing to do with catamarans. Its because they are beautiful to sail and watch sailing. See Velsheda...

Now that would be fun for a couple of hours.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 15:03   #574
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Someone hit that boat with the ugly stick. Yikes
Nope just a Lagoon 450 with full canvas
Old 16-11-2020, 15:07   #575
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Nope just a Lagoon 450 with full canvas

Reminds me of this boat.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4060.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	227072
Old 16-11-2020, 15:11   #576

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Now that would be fun for a couple of hours.
Yep, but I reckon that the gimbals on the stove might not be up to boiling a kettle for tea...

Jim
Old 16-11-2020, 15:12   #577
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Yep, but I reckon that the gimbals on the stove might not be up to boiling a kettle for tea...

Jim

No tea? How uncivilized!!!!
Old 16-11-2020, 18:33   #578

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLuckyone View Post
So the rest of us are just too poor to own a cat? That's mighty pretentious of you. I know a short pier you can take a long walk off, for holding that opinion.
That's funny....

NO, I didn't say that.....I SAID many of the people that like to say bad things about cats CAN'T afford a nice cat. I know that's true by the fact there are LOTS more mono owners than cat owners and cats (in general) are significantly more $$$ per foot than lead mines, er, I mean monos. Many cats are bought by former mono owners that are UPGRADING. Seldom are there cat owners that switch to a mono.

Of course there are people that can afford a nice cat but choose to own a nice mono instead....like a 50 or 60 foot Oyster. They may even justify their preferences by saying bad things about cats. OK.....that would be them expressing their personal OPINIONS. HOWEVER, there are many expressed OPINIONS that are not based on FACT.

I won't bother to repeat all the LAUGHABLE negative things written about catamarans that are just plain BS.

We all know that OPINIONS abound in any cat/mono discussion. So be it and to each their own.....horses for courses and all that...

As to taking a long walk off a short pier?....Well, thats a bit weird, but SURE if that would make you happy. I don't mind so long as the water is warm.
Old 16-11-2020, 21:59   #579

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Sure. Just think how many pages upon pages of cat bashing BS could have been saved if MOST people would just fess up that it's all about $$$!!

Sure there are always the ones that say MONEY has NOTHING to do with their choice of a cheaper mono. Okaaaaayyyyy....if you say so, but I will bet a dollar to a donut that's a MINORITY opinion. And maybe even a dishonest one at that.

And what's up with some of these declarations like "cats don't motor or motor sail well on one engine"???????? Just a recent example.

Every cat I've ever sailed does GREAT on one motor in most conditions. So who are these cat bashing experts really?

So much BS and misinformation....much of which is just laughable.

No surprise that more than a few cat owners have left this forum or have chosen not to post anymore. I've PMed with a few. It's just ridiculous and a complete waste of time to engage on all the repetative cat bashing BS. "Why do cats motor 100% of the time?" is another example of a genius thread.

If I say I prefer a monohull and you claim I am being dishonest..."its only about money", not only are you are calling me a liar, but your are displaying extreme arrogance.

That makes my blood boil.

You see, it's like this: I grew up around boats. Monohulls. Those were the boats I saw and the boats I coveted. There were the boats I learned to sail on, and sailing on them was what made me love sailing. The only multi's around were ugly home made jobs or cult boats, and couldn't sail out of their own way except on a reach.

I eventually acquired my dream boat and I built my boating life, hell, my whole life, around that boat and I've had it quite a few years.

Along the way I've seen a lot more multihull boats, admired a few (damn few) and sailed on some. None of them have provided the same feeling, the same thrill, the same love of being under sail, that my own mono does.

I'm not changing boats. Not to any other boat. Money is a factor, yes, but if I had all the money in the world, and felt the need to spend it on a different boat, a more expensive boat, it still wouldn't be a cat.

Not because I couldn't afford it, but because they just don't shake my tree.

I don't say cats are terrible. I don't even say thay can't sail (some can), or can't motor on one engine (so what?), or look like melting wedding cakes, or any other inane thing we frequently hear. I do say I'd be worried about that midnight squall, and that seems to be a valid concern.

I just don't want one any more than I would want to give up my fine high performance luxury car for a Winnebago.

But you apparently can't see that. In your arrogance you think that if people don't admit to seeing things the way you do they must be being dishonest.

For some people maybe it is about the money, but for you to say that all of us who claim we don't covet a multi are just dishonest, well...I think that's simply projection on your part.
Old 16-11-2020, 22:33   #580
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
That's funny....

Of course there are people that can afford a nice cat but choose to own a nice mono instead....like a 50 or 60 foot Oyster. They may even justify their preferences by saying bad things about cats. OK.....that would be them expressing their personal OPINIONS. HOWEVER, there are many expressed OPINIONS that are not based on FACT.

:
As I have said before ( several times) I don't want a cat never did never will .
I prefer my 1963 columbia defender. 29 feet and 8500 pounds of pure beautiful monohull sailboat.
Why do you always want to call many of us on here liars all the time . Itsnot about the mo ey. But if you really think so then well my 3k ( thats what I have in her now after my refit. )
Subtracted from even a cheap cabin my preferred size range $65k well thats a hell of a lot of entry fees and a few trips through several canals. Not to mention a trip or 5 on the deck of a freighter when I don't want to sail for a month Alone offshore.

Old 16-11-2020, 22:35   #581

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

S411, here's another refutation of your belief:

I own a monohull. Just before we bought this boat we were negotiating over a rather nice stretched Catana 42. When Insatiable II suddenly became available we immediately changed course and bought her. The cost was just about the same... ie, we could have easily afforded to buy the cat... but we chose not to.

Why? Like Fred above, we just prefer to sail good monohull boats. In our case we had been searching for the right one for three years. Our requirements included excellent sailing ability, excellent structural design and fabrication, systems that worked at sea, and a habitable and attractive interior. We had been unable to locate a suitable mono during those years and when the Catana showed up, it met many of our criteria and we decided to give it a try. But then the owner of Insatiable (then called Waminda) stopped procrastinating and put her on the market. Out of our 21 specific criteria, she met 20 to our satisfaction, and we made the deal.

We ended up with a unique boat, one that outsails most cruising cats (no, not
all of them), has an exquisite rosewood fitout, excellent tankage and stowage and a proven sailplan and systems. We have never regretted our decision, and once again, that decision wasn't made because we couldn't afford the cat.

Jim
Old 16-11-2020, 23:13   #582

Boat: Outremer 55L

Let’s stop with all and any references to cats and other non-monohulls and just stick to the thread’s question: why do you love your monohull?

Surely you don’t love your boat only because it doesn’t have the bad characteristics of boats that you don’t like or even hate? And we’re not interested in what you don’t have or that you hate; we want to know what you’ve got that you love.

I don’t own a monohull now, but I do love the inflatable Tiwal 3.2 sailing dinghy that we’ve been trialling and may make our own soon. Fits on top of our dinghy in our davits after taking off the mast and hiking frame, and is super easy to set up and get sailing. Sails almost as well as a Laser, but is soft and has hiking racks. The 7sqm sail reefs down to 5, so my wife can sail without having to work twice as hard. Stable shape, planes readily, great platform for learning the finer points of sailing, and fun for two to go exploring. There’s even an outboard bracket to fit a small motor to use it as dinghy. Sweet as! https://youtu.be/rJS7yf7gJWw

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1605597203.831456.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	227087
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2020, 00:02   #583

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Let’s stop with all and any references to cats and other non-monohulls and just stick to the thread’s question: why do you love your monohull?

Well to be fair. Like most headlines these days , it doesn’t really reflect the content. The original post threw out a lot of tinder for the mono vs cat debate to ignite.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2020, 01:42   #584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
Well to be fair. Like most headlines these days , it doesn’t really reflect the content. The original post threw out a lot of tinder for the mono vs cat debate to ignite.
Indeed.....First the OP addresses cats.

"Cats have what everyone wants, supposedly....no rolling (youtubers Kevin Boothby and Patrick Lane constantly talk about how tiring and unpleasant this is), things stay put, relatively more room. A non-tilted, non-rolling, roomy lifestyle. So what is the attraction of monohulls? "

Then he addresses the issue of costs....

"It can't just be cost or that everyone is waiting til they have enough money saved to sell their mono and get a cat. There are good older cats available for not that much more than decent older monos. Or am I wrong, it's the cost?"

And then his final statement...

"Two years of reading threads and watching videos and I still don't get it."

The OP asked two questions.....one about the attraction of monos and the other about costs.

In the case of the last few mono owners, they addressed both. They extolled the virtues of their monos and answered the OPs question about $$$. Their answers were that money did NOT affect their choice of boats....so be it.

Regardless, I still maintain that money is a factor to MANY if not most. (never said ALL) That is my opinion for the OP.

Finally....

Recently a famous, or maybe infamous YouTube catamaran owner was asked..."What is the biggest mistake you've made while cruising? "

Answer...." Never should have bought a mono first"

And that was HIS honest opinion.
Old 17-11-2020, 01:53   #585

The act of having to choose means it's a money problem, like it or not.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull