Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2020, 10:16   #46

Boat: Irwin Citation 34
Re: Why do you guys like monohulls so much?

After sailing nearly 100,000 miles , most of which has been monohull sailboats, and some cats, my conclusion is that for open ocean sailing, a mono is much more comfortable and safer than cats. Also, I cannot wrap my head around the idea of the need for escape hatches on the bottom side of a boat. The motion on a cat is too jerky due to the two hulls being in different parts of wave action.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 10:19   #47

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengland View Post
Monohulls will right themselves in any storm + they have a natural tendency to spill winds in a gust, saving the sales, rigging and capsizing risk.
I saw that...whizzed right by the sinking bit! [emoji23]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 10:23   #48

Etap, Pogo, Sadlers and other monohulls cann't sink. They can even continue to sail with a large hole in the hull because they have a extern and inner hull with foam in between. Never understood why so few architects use this type of design. I'm sailing on an Etap on bothe sides of the Atlantic the last 5 years and living on board (without a liferaft). Btw I had befor an multihull. Sailing is now more challenging and fun.
nepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 10:24   #49

Boat: a sailing boat

The argument of 'cat stays upside down'. I mean, do we really need to get this kind of discussion every bloody single time we talk hulls?

People who claim mono supremacy based in their apparent ability to 'come back' have never been onboard a boat that rolled over.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 10:32   #50

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captndave1 View Post
After sailing nearly 100,000 miles , most of which has been monohull sailboats, and some cats, my conclusion is that for open ocean sailing, a mono is much more comfortable and safer than cats. Also, I cannot wrap my head around the idea of the need for escape hatches on the bottom side of a boat. The motion on a cat is too jerky due to the two hulls being in different parts of wave action.

I agree with this. I have owned a FP 35 Cat and did not like the sailing jerky motion in conditions where my mono would be comfortable. I love the cat at anchor in a calm harbor and really miss being out on the tramp in warm smooth weather but everything is a compromise. Solo sailing the cat and getting to an end tie in any kind of wind for me was a little trickier as I had to cross the boat and leave the helm unattended to get a line out.
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 10:33   #51
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I think today almost everybody who can afford a cat, gets a cat.

b.
Pretty much. And many that can't bash them out of jealousy. There are some monohulls I personally like and would buy, but they would cost more than a catamaran - like a Jongert.

https://www.jongert.nl/yachts/jongert-31-t-yts7
Old 28-10-2020, 10:34   #52

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by river251 View Post

Two years of reading threads and watching videos and I still don't get it.

Thanks.
From the title you gave to the thread, your mind is already made up, so why do you persist?
Read the posts again. The pros and cons are all there. No easy answers, just trade-offs. Briefly, total cost including marina fees, seaworthiness and safety, performance, comfort, aesthetics.
Old 28-10-2020, 10:37   #53

Boat: Southerly 57

I could afford a cat, but I don’t enjoy the motion, prefer their safety and pointing ability, and the site picture. I like being in the cockpit with friends. But if cruising with a family I might but up with the cat’s obvious deficiencies.��
Belezar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 10:46   #54

Boat: Leopard 45

The big reason is truly cost. As a live aboard, no question it is a cat hands down. As for the feeling of heeling over while sailing (if you like that kind of thing) the mono hull has it sailing close hauled into the wind, but the cats rule when running with the wind. I own one of each and enjoy getting a crew together and racing my mono. But when we go our for over a week or two at a time with a larger family group the cat is the best way to go.
When it comes to cost and availability, there are just so many more older mono hulls out there at affordable prices that they will always be the first choice for the newbie without deep pockets.
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 10:49   #55

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
Some of this is true but much is not. I don't know how much hands on experience you have, but a lot of this is old wives tales, starting with the idea that most cats can't motor on one engine. Most can, which increases safety through redundancy. Cats designed to carry substantial loads and therefore have sufficient sail area carry compressors and lots of other stuff. mine carries 265 gallons of water and 160 gallons of fuel, is rated for a load of 10,000 lbs, and beats most monos a good bit longer.

Willing to bet that the value of your big cat - its real nice, by the way! - boasts at least twice the market value combined with marina costs, of a cruising monohull in similar condition with the same cargo, fuel and water capacity. Yes, you are faster no doubt.
Old 28-10-2020, 10:58   #56

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

I find the idea many people put forward as a positive about cats staying level when sailing really strange. On a lake it may be true but the sea has waves and boats go up and down on them, they also roll side ways. This seams to have far more effect than a heel from sailing which is only noticeable when hard on the wind, something most of us avoid! But then I am not a cat sailor.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 11:14   #57

Boat: 1980 Bristol 35.5

Because a catamaran doesn't seem like real sailing.

I know a master motorcycle fabricator who has made quite a business for himself converting the motorcycles of old guys into tricycles, by putting a small truck axle in back.

I still am able to hold my motorcycle up, so I'm happy to ride a real motorcycle still.
Midwesterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 11:27   #58

Boat: 2020 Amel 50

I just bought a new Amel 50 monohull.. i did look at catamarans. no religion around looks, or false tropes about safety or sailing performance..

for me it was the following:
  • cost to maintain
  • cost to keep at a dock/slip
  • functional design characteristics

The first two are real considerations that i'm not sure will be addressed anytime soon..

the last one however.. the functional design of catamarans has been evolving/maturing quickly. Things like versahelm etc. represent that kind of forward thinking that are making multihulls have much better / refined functional design resolution. As they continue to evolve, the surface area of the ceiling also creates the space for integrated solar solutions to move us towards a fully electric future which is better for the environment and reduces the cost to maintain.

net net.. i suspect that in another 10 years, my purchase decision would have been different.

My .02
Old 28-10-2020, 11:37   #59

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

I actually don't like the motion of a cat, it just feels odd, I much prefer the motion of a mono, even or Maybe I should say because it heels to the wind. It panders more to my mechanical sympathies, a bit like a tree yielding to the wind rather than a fence that will stand up for so long but give way suddenly with little warning. A mono will always tell you when she's over pressed unlike a cat. Thats just my two penneth. If I want to stay upright and travel, I'll get a motorboat.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 12:08   #60

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft

Many years ago I heard that a 'holed' mono would be gone in less than a minute. A multi would not sink in this situation, I started with a Wharram ,oh. 50 years ago, and never looked back . Simples !!
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull