Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2020, 16:49   #631

Boat: Brewer Jason 35'
Re: Why do you guys like monohulls so much?

Mono vs Cat is just like Neat vs On the Rocks.

Sailing like whisky is a personal thing and there is no wrong way to do it.

Merry Turkey Day y'all
Andrea7413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 14:51   #632

I have now done 4 charters. The last was my first cat45 footer. Beautiful boat. Spacious. Road well in the water..but I missed heeling. Heeling to me is one of the senses you use as to how you and the boat are performing. I also just enjoy working the sails on a monohull. The cat was made so one person could sail it, but that made for a heck of a lot of sheets in one very small area. I also didnt care for power winches...OK now you can call me crazy. Cats are great for comfort and I can see where when chartering especially with newbies on board that they win out. Me I've arleady got my next charter planned in the USVI. Look forward to some "sailing"...
docwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 17:28   #633

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwood View Post
I have now done 4 charters. The last was my first cat45 footer. Beautiful boat. Spacious. Road well in the water..but I missed heeling. Heeling to me is one of the senses you use as to how you and the boat are performing. I also just enjoy working the sails on a monohull. The cat was made so one person could sail it, but that made for a heck of a lot of sheets in one very small area. I also didnt care for power winches...OK now you can call me crazy. Cats are great for comfort and I can see where when chartering especially with newbies on board that they win out. Me I've arleady got my next charter planned in the USVI. Look forward to some "sailing"...
Indeed, heeling makes me feel safe. I am always anxious on a cat of too much wind...
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 18:20   #634

I grew up sailing and racing Monohulls mostly. We had access to a Hobie 16 and would take it out in waves near Shinnecock Inlet as kids. Crazy!
I do love big Cats and Tri’s. I think there’s something about sailing a quick light displaced boat without a big lead weight trying to pull it to the bottom of the sea.
Today it’s a conventional hull, but we’ll see about tomorrow.
searoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 21:13   #635
lyl

because cats are like soccer mom suvs, expensive, full of meaningless features, and looking at them makes you feel like watching hgtv. cats are lame. a real sailor sails a full keel.
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 22:23   #636

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full View Post
because cats are like soccer mom suvs, expensive, full of meaningless features, and looking at them makes you feel like watching hgtv. cats are lame. a real sailor sails a full keel.
Yikes! well that probably settles that.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 22:49   #637

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Yikes! well that probably settles that.
Dunno, Don... I always thought that a REAL sailor sailed whatever boat he had at the time and didn't worry about these arbitrary divisions. Delivery skippers show that damn near any boat can be successful in the hands of a "real" sailor!

I've sailed on a few designs over the years and managed to enjoy them all whilst racking up the miles.

I'm amused by the ferocity with which newbies attach themselves to specific ideas. Things change for some after a few passages, others persist in their beliefs. And in the long run, good passages and cruises are made by reps of all the beliefs, while disasters seem to equally be spread about the fleet. Takes some time at sea to really understand that.

Jim
Old 23-12-2020, 23:07   #638

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yes, I agree.

Is it possible that real sailors probably don't debate who the "real sailors" are? Come to think of it, how can anyone really spot a "real sailor?" By the boat? By the way they dress? Sperry Top Siders?
Two men I knew who I'd consider to be real sailors did not dress well, nor did they know how to use a razor But, wow, could they sail a boat! Without any drama or fanfare or braggadocio. Same with some friends I grew up with. And its true they could sail anything and have fun doing it.
Ah well... that'll be another spirited thread. I think though we should all hash this out over a good beer or two at a good local pub when this pandemic wanes.
...and I'd like to toast to some old friends, real sailors, no longer with us.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 23:56   #639
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Dunno, Don... I always thought that a REAL sailor sailed whatever boat he had at the time and didn't worry about these arbitrary divisions. Delivery skippers show that damn near any boat can be successful in the hands of a "real" sailor!

I've sailed on a few designs over the years and managed to enjoy them all whilst racking up the miles.

I'm amused by the ferocity with which newbies attach themselves to specific ideas. Things change for some after a few passages, others persist in their beliefs. And in the long run, good passages and cruises are made by reps of all the beliefs, while disasters seem to equally be spread about the fleet. Takes some time at sea to really understand that.

Jim
r u a 'real' sailor? what was ur newbie mistake?
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 00:39   #640

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:

Hello, Full,

Jim's my husband. Together, Jim and I have roughly 176,000 n. mi. in the last 3 boats he and then we have owned.

You could look at our profiles, our sailing history is there, unlike a lot of people who post, "gender, male" and no history whatsoever.

Ann
Old 24-12-2020, 00:45   #641

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:

Hell, Full, I dunno what a real sailor is, so it's hard to determine if I am one. There are a lot of folks who are better sailors than I am, but I've managed to survive a lot of miles at sea (and all my passages have been in the dread fin keeled boats). I guess I could play a real sailor on TV, at least in some third world countries. I wonder what the pay scale is for that?

What was my newbie mistake? Sheesh, I made a lot of them, like most newbies, but it was so long ago that I can't easily pick one out... ok, how about this:

Sailing my Catalina 22 in the San Joaquin delta, no chart, no depth sounder, and the keel bumped the bottom and we slowed down. Damn, sez I, and cranked up the swing keel, and off we went... for a short while, and then we bumped again, but this time it was the rudder, now drawing more than the keel.

And guess what? the rudder was then lifted up a few inches and it escaped the gudgeons and remained stuck in the mud as we sail onward. Holy escapism, Batman, whaddya do now? Eventually I thought to drop the sails and motor back, steering with the outboard, and eventually recovered the rudder and retreated back on a sorta reciprocal course. A learning experience, as were a host of other f-ups, but they all contributed to a gradual increase in competence afloat. Now my lifetime log is notched at around 175,000 miles, but I still learn something almost every time we venture out. I try to never make the same mistake twice, but it turns out that there are an infinite number to make once!

Please excuse the verbosity... us old guys do ramble on...

Jim
Old 24-12-2020, 03:06   #642
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Why do you guys like monohulls so much?

Quote:

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 07:09   #643
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Attachment 229268Now this is a real professional sailor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	220px-Legendary_kiss_V–J_day_in_Times_Square_Alfred_Eisenstaedt.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	229270  
Old 24-12-2020, 07:43   #644

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Ah who wants to sail a tubby old full keeler...I'll take my Hobie 33 anyday...17 knots at 22d AWA!

Hint: its not a cat.

[emoji6]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 07:44   #645

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
^^^ This!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull