Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2020, 19:11   #661

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40
Re: Why do you guys like monohulls so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
My opinion:

It's because monohulls offer a different sailing experience than cats, and some of us like it better.

Jim

Amen to that.
Old 24-12-2020, 21:02   #662

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hello, Full,

Jim's my husband. Together, Jim and I have roughly 176,000 n. mi. in the last 3 boats he and then we have owned.

You could look at our profiles, our sailing history is there, unlike a lot of people who post, "gender, male" and no history whatsoever.

Ann
Since the circumference of the Earth is 24,901 miles, that's equal to seven times around the planet. Not bad. Too bad you can't get frequent flier mileage for that.
river251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 21:13   #663

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

They got better
Life
Old 24-12-2020, 23:45   #664
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Fry View Post
Nice turn of phrase.

I've sailed a few slugs, and in doing so, wondered why anyone would want such a boat. (An old Chrysler sailboat made me think they should stick to building cars.) But most of the boats I've sailed have been great fun in a multitude of different ways.

I've admired Lasers and the people who sail them well. I've been thrilled by windsurfing (a little "purer" sailing, in my view, than even Laser sailing.) I've admired the people who can windsurf really well. I cruised in my old J24 -- GREAT cruising boat, if you understand what the Johnstones had in mind. (MUCH easier to cruise than a windsurfer is.) I loved racing it too, and met some fabulous generous sailors doing so.

I mainly raced but occasionally cruised on my Hobie 33. Wonderful cruising boat, if you don't need a Winnebago on water. One like it can get you from Port Townsend to Ketchican faster than anybody else, with way more hoots and hollers along the way than in a traditional cruising boat. Not far enough to count as cruising? Then use one to win the Transpac.

(Someone is thinking: Wait -- that's not "real" cruising cuz you're not going really really slowly wallowing through the water for day after day after day.)

I've sailed a boat (a peculiar trimaran) fast enough to require tacking (rather than jibing) downwind. At the other end of the spectrum, I've sailed a near-full-keel Alberg and some modified-full-keel S&S designs: great boats for a relaxing evening sail or cruising slowly and gracefully. Those two speed extremes are fun in different ways: in the first, sneeze and you crash. In the second, just stepping aboard makes you want to relax and sip mint julips.

I've sailed Hunters and Catalinas and a even a MacGregor. Not one would be called "the Rolls Royce of sailing" or "the Ferrari of sailing". (And that last one has been called "the power boater's sailboat".) But all big sellers, for good reasons -- and all can be made to sail well.

When I think of the "real" sailors I've known, not one described herself or himself as a "real" sailor. When I've spoken with designers, not one called his own boat a "real" sailboat.

I'm still a young pup, and didn't start sailing til I was 20 something -- so I've only sailed for 50 years. But as far as I can tell, there are neither "real" sailors nor "real" sailboats. There are just sailors and sailboats. All have something to offer. (Ok, except for that Chrysler.)

(Well, OK, again: Ann is a "real" sailor. And you are an OK guy, Jim.)
sorry that you're offended.
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 10:17   #665

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Full, no need for anyone to be offended. So you like full keel boats? Good for you. I do too. Cape Dory boats, Carl Alberg designs, William Garden designs, even Colleen Archer designs. Full keels may have some advantages and surely some disadvantages but you have to love the boat you own or what’s the point. But, the boat I love the best is my current boat, a Robert Harris designed Tayana Vancouver 42 with a moderately long fin keel and stout skeg hung rudder. This boat has a pointy back end that to me just looks right. Advantages, maybe. Disadvantages surely. I think she is lovely, built strongly and has tankage, stowage and room for living. Most importantly, she makes my heart sing. Find the boat that makes your heart sing. Be happy. Go sailing.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 11:51   #666
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Full, no need for anyone to be offended. So you like full keel boats? Good for you. I do too. Cape Dory boats, Carl Alberg designs, William Garden designs, even Colleen Archer designs. Full keels may have some advantages and surely some disadvantages but you have to love the boat you own or what’s the point. But, the boat I love the best is my current boat, a Robert Harris designed Tayana Vancouver 42 with a moderately long fin keel and stout skeg hung rudder. This boat has a pointy back end that to me just looks right. Advantages, maybe. Disadvantages surely. I think she is lovely, built strongly and has tankage, stowage and room for living. Most importantly, she makes my heart sing. Find the boat that makes your heart sing. Be happy. Go sailing.
Actually I feel that FULL is the one getting offended.

On dream boats I have wanted for many years the Columbia defender I finally got 3 years ago. 3/4 keel with cutaway forefoot. Seems to be the best of both a full keels stability and a fin pointing ability to weather.
There is also something to be said for a flush deck when offshore in weather.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0004.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	440.3 KB
ID:	229329  
Attached Images

Old 25-12-2020, 12:21   #667
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Why do you guys like monohulls so much?

Full needs to give us more info..
Where is she, what can she afford to spend, if in Europe US boats are a waste of time and Vicky verky as travel and accommodation chews money up fast.. don't ask me how I know..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 12:35   #668

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Quite so, Boatie. Lacking such info, the many answers posted are pretty meaningless. But so far she has not complied with such requests and I'm loosing interest quickly.

Jim
Old 25-12-2020, 14:16   #669

Boat: Lagoon 440 & Beneteau Oceanis 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full View Post
because cats are like soccer mom suvs, expensive, full of meaningless features, and looking at them makes you feel like watching hgtv. cats are lame. a real sailor sails a full keel.

I beg your pardon. For thousands of years the Polynesian navigated open ocean with catamaran. The Viking crossed Atlantic ocean on longship to Greenland and N America continent and back. They traveled thousands of miles, mapped out the sea routes used until now. Neither of their boats had a full keel. The Polynesian and the Viking are sure as hell real sailors.
JamesPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 14:49   #670
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
i put a smiley face at the end. he had given me a hard time, so i did the same to him.
i agree with you, doing exactly what you say.
Old 25-12-2020, 14:51   #671
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Actually I feel that FULL is the one getting offended.

On dream boats I have wanted for many years the Columbia defender I finally got 3 years ago. 3/4 keel with cutaway forefoot. Seems to be the best of both a full keels stability and a fin pointing ability to weather.
There is also something to be said for a flush deck when offshore in weather.
oh, i was not offended. i gave him a hard time, cause he had given me one. i love the rest of your comment.
Old 25-12-2020, 15:21   #672
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Where is she, what can she afford to spend, if in Europe US boats are a waste of time and Vicky verky as travel and accommodation chews money up fast.. don't ask me how I know..
hey there, i've already opened a comment for that and gotten all my answers. ty
Old 25-12-2020, 15:32   #673
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Quite so, Boatie. Lacking such info, the many answers posted are pretty meaningless. But so far she has not complied with such requests and I'm loosing interest quickly.

Jim
jim, thanks much. you've already help me alot on the matter earlier, happy holidays, man.
Old 25-12-2020, 15:51   #674
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPNW View Post
I beg your pardon. For thousands of years the Polynesian navigated open ocean with catamaran. The Viking crossed Atlantic ocean on longship to Greenland and N America continent and back. They traveled thousands of miles, mapped out the sea routes used until now. Neither of their boats had a full keel. The Polynesian and the Viking are sure as hell real sailors.

YES! You are right, and I've been wrong, very wrong. I've totally forgotten about those awesome sailors. TY!
I once rented a windrider 17. It was fast and a blast to sail.
Old 25-12-2020, 16:21   #675
lyl

i was such a 'full!?'
the op should buy one of these...
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7a/58/48/7a5848809181cfafbffaa79a8e2d0c8f.jpg

Tags
hull, monohull