Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2021, 10:53   #721
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Why do you guys like monohulls so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwood View Post
For me whether leasing short term or looking at future buying it is about price. I'm happy for al those that can part with twice tothree times the money for a cat vs. monohull, but for many of us who want to sail the pocketbook says monohull or stay home.. When leasing the one major advantage I see cats having is A/C where very few monohulls have it. Not A/C for anchorages, bbut marinas can be awfully stuffy and buggy for the first and last night of a 7-10 day sail...and I love to heel
Installing A/C is not that difficult or expensive . I could put a unit on my 29 ft boat for under a grand but my 250 lfp bank would only run it for about 10 hrs without charging and that means generator for that much charge in a couple hours.
Now I don't like marinas when I'm cruising . That's what dinghies are for .
Old 12-11-2021, 11:51   #722
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwood View Post
For me whether leasing short term or looking at future buying it is about price. I'm happy for al those that can part with twice tothree times the money for a cat vs. monohull, but for many of us who want to sail the pocketbook says monohull or stay home.. When leasing the one major advantage I see cats having is A/C where very few monohulls have it. Not A/C for anchorages, bbut marinas can be awfully stuffy and buggy for the first and last night of a 7-10 day sail...and I love to heel

When time to sell it’s a good possibility that the cat would sell quicker and maybe have less depreciation as they are still a popular item?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 14:39   #723

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Love sailing my good old mono....do covet the space of a cat at anchor tho...ultimately as has been noted earlier the look, design, & the history of monos that captures my soul is protrayed by the J boats https://www.jclassyachts.com/yacht/713
When burying a rail, with both headsail & main full and straining under a beam reach, tell-tales flying, she's flying thru the water that is just inches from my feet, helm just on the edge, knowing that a gust is going to over power me....that's just perfection...
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 22:36   #724

Boat: Tayana 47

I don’t care for the motion of a cat as they move over the water rather than through it. They just don’t give me the same feeling of smoothly moving through the water and the way they take a wave feels awkward to me. But I’ve seen lots of cruising cats that are quite fast off the wind, faster than many monos. I know that I try to avoid beating into the wind for long lengths of time while cruising so since I spend little time beating into the wind anyway, even a basic charter cat wouldn’t slow me down much while cruising. But all the cats I’ve seen had way too much exposed interior gelcoat for my taste and then there’s that awkward motion in waves larger than just a couple of feet. So I think it’s unlikely I’ll ever own a cat.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 16:38   #725

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57

Honestly, I just have never cared for boats that are most stable when they are upside-down.
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 16:43   #726

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest Lakes View Post
Honestly, I just have never cared for boats that are most stable when they are upside-down.
on the otherhand, i'm now so relieved that i no longer have to constantly worry about how i'm going to keep 5-6mt of lead from sinking...

cheers,
Old 14-11-2021, 17:13   #727

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Don’t tell anyone, I love the look of the Lagoon 380, I think the lines are just right. That big lounge with wrap around windows would be awesome in spring and fall on the Great Lakes.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 17:53   #728
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Why do you guys like monohulls so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Don’t tell anyone, I love the look of the Lagoon 380, I think the lines are just right. That big lounge with wrap around windows would be awesome in spring and fall on the Great Lakes.
Its the best of them to my mind..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 23:10   #729

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest Lakes View Post
Me neither….
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 04:04   #730

Boat: Tayana 47

Last week I think I sailed beside one from Cape May headed south. We had about 10 knots on the beam and he was able to go about half a knot faster than I could in my 47’ cruising monohull. At first we were about 5 miles apart but as our courses converged I was surprised to see a big 380 painted on its side because I expected it would be a larger boat. I was going just a bit over 6 knots and they were doing 6.8. If we’d had a few knots stronger or much stronger wind then I’d have been able to go faster than they could but his ability to sail at close to his hull speed in lighter winds impressed me. Good looking boat too.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 04:18   #731
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
Last week I think I sailed beside one from Cape May headed south. We had about 10 knots on the beam and he was able to go about half a knot faster than I could in my 47’ cruising monohull. At first we were about 5 miles apart but as our courses converged I was surprised to see a big 380 painted on its side because I expected it would be a larger boat. I was going just a bit over 6 knots and they were doing 6.8. If we’d had a few knots stronger or much stronger wind then I’d have been able to go faster than they could but his ability to sail at close to his hull speed in lighter winds impressed me. Good looking boat too.

The Lagoon 380 wont be as restricted by hull speed as a monohull so a few knots more wind for them would also mean higher boat speeds.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 04:42   #732

But a lagoon 380.....it's not a fast boat, is it? It's basically a motorsailor, along with most of the lagoons, Fontaine pajots , leopards etc. It's quite possible to pick up a monohull of the same age for the same price as a lagoon 380 that is faster and roomier inside. What the mono will have is deeper draught and a tendency to heel.
kiwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 05:09   #733
sgl

Quote:
Originally Posted by river251 View Post
Every time I notice it, there are twice as many people reading the monohulls forum as reading the multihulls forum. I am really curious about this. Cats have what everyone wants, supposedly....no rolling (youtubers Kevin Boothby and Patrick Lane constantly talk about how tiring and unpleasant this is), things stay put, relatively more room. A non-tilted, non-rolling, roomy lifestyle. So what is the attraction of monohulls?

It can't just be cost or that everyone is waiting til they have enough money saved to sell their mono and get a cat. There are good older cats available for not that much more than decent older monos. Or am I wrong, it's the cost?

Two years of reading threads and watching videos and I still don't get it.

Thanks.
To me it's like comparing riding a motorcycle or driving an SUV. Sailing a monohull gives me thrills and a sense of peace I can't get on a catamaran. But would I consider one as a liveaboard? No way. Great as a pleasure vessel, but uncomfortable home. 90% of your time is at anchor, and you can't beat that large shaded cockpit / saloon area to have a few sundowners with friends.
sgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 05:19   #734

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
Real men heel.
My experience is that real men heel singlehanded. I would definitely prefer a monohull - I feel much more secure when the wind and seas pick up. But my wife and friends? Absolutely, positively, strongly prefer cats. They hate heeling and love the spaciousness of the cat and the upper level galley. So, that is mostly what I sail.
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 06:40   #735

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwin View Post
But a lagoon 380.....it's not a fast boat, is it? It's basically a motorsailor, along with most of the lagoons, Fontaine pajots , leopards etc. It's quite possible to pick up a monohull of the same age for the same price as a lagoon 380 that is faster and roomier inside. What the mono will have is deeper draught and a tendency to heel.

This is true. For the same money you get the same hull volume and likely more speed from a longer monohull.

However, you are forgetting that cats are superior motorsailers. A huge advantage of having easily driven hulls with greater fineness, and no ballast.

This is a winning formula and a key reason why Lagoons and so forth are so popular, even the ones which are not particularly good sailers once loaded down.

I'm a mono guy myself, but cats do really make a lot of sense, for a lot of people. There is a pretty long list of advantages.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull