Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2021, 04:32   #796

Re: Why do you guys like monohulls so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
thanks jim

no doubt there are more expensive ones around however we have raymarine and very happy with it

https://www.theboatwarehouse.com.au/...EaAi78EALw_wcB
https://chsmith.com.au/Products/Raym...QaAllfEALw_wcB

this includes the fluxgate compass sensor. guess i'm assuming that everyone who wants an autopilot already has wind instruments (maybe fair assumption / maybe not ?)

this compares pretty well with 5000 euro + for a wind vane !
https://ariesvanegear.com/products/aries-wind-vane/

cheers,
My recollection was the Raymarine wheel pilot was less than lowest cost B&G, but I want the B&G. I have had two ST4000s and they are good for holding a course and auto tacking but not some of the more advanced things. But if you are on a budget buy a used Raymarine wheel pilot.

I don’t have a windvane but I don’t do ocean crossings. If I did I might get a windvane. IMHO autopilot and windvane are different tools. For coastal cruising especially single handed an autopilot is a must. I couldn’t use a windvane the way I use an autopilot for sail changes, small course changes, auto tacking etc. Autopilot is basic safety equipment for me for many reasons.

I would say get an autopilot. Then if you are doing long crossings and are concerned about battery get a windvane.
loneshark64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2021, 04:39   #797

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Disagree- many production cats (condo cat type) are actually not faster in most light and moderate air conditions- except big breeze particularly off the wind. I sail by 40+ condo cats all the time and think they are pretty “sticky” in the water unless it’s blowing 15+
So ideal for trade winds etc.
Performance cats- different altogether
Yes there are slow ones, and ones that are sailed poorly but the max speeds on the ones I was on were definitely faster than my monohulls. Nonetheless I won’t ever buy a cat. If i care about speed I have a bayliner that goes 28kts. I don’t sail to get places quickly except on delivery
loneshark64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2021, 04:52   #798

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneshark64 View Post
Yes there are slow ones, and ones that are sailed poorly but the max speeds on the ones I was on were definitely faster than my monohulls. Nonetheless I won’t ever buy a cat. If i care about speed I have a bayliner that goes 28kts. I don’t sail to get places quickly except on delivery

Right- there are “max speeds” but why matters on passage is average speed. Sure I’ve hit 14 knots in my mono but usually average around 6 or more knots on my coastal passages, mainly because my boat keeps moving in the light stuff.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 23:49   #799

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Besides the lack of affordable berthing for a catamaran, how would you manage to heat up one during winter? It would be like three boats..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 00:12   #800

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Besides the lack of affordable berthing for a catamaran, how would you manage to heat up one during winter? It would be like three boats..
This is a big drawback of these boats. I concur.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 00:40   #801

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:

Eberspacher 10.5 KW and 4 matrix heaters one in each corner. Most cats are sandwich, ours is foam so insulation is excellent. Leave the cabin doors open and it doesn't take too long for the heat to rise up on the bridgedeck, the whole boat to heats up, the thermostats kick in and you are comfy inside with snow on the decks.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 00:44   #802

Quote:
Having spent a winter getting down into the 20's F, this is actually a mixed bag.

At night, it does get colder but we like to sleep in a cold room and burrow into the blankets, so except on the coldest nights, not an issue.

During the day, the greenhouse effect quickly warms up the cabin once the sun is up. It was common for 40F outside and 65F inside with the heater off.

By contrast our friends in a monohull had the heater running less at night but it needed to run during the day as the sun didn't heat up cabin much.

This was on a Gemini which is not a cored hull, so really a worst case scenario for insulation.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 00:54   #803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Eberspacher 10.5 KW and 4 matrix heaters one in each corner. Most cats are sandwich, ours is foam so insulation is excellent. Leave the cabin doors open and it doesn't take too long for the heat to rise up on the bridgedeck, the whole boat to heats up, the thermostats kick in and you are comfy inside with snow on the decks.
My mono is also sandwhich. Couldn't justify burning fuel to warm up three times more and the winter is six months here and heating is required at least 10 months most years..
Old 21-11-2021, 01:08   #804

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
My mono is also sandwhich. Couldn't justify burning fuel to warm up three times more and the winter is six months here and heating is required at least 10 months most years..

So it is really down to cost. Yes, multihulls are more expensive in all respects than monohulls.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 01:10   #805
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Don't know cats but my Crowther trimaran just the diesel cook stove did an excellent job and always had fresh bread in a toasty cabin .
Old 21-11-2021, 02:24   #806

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Don't know cats but my Crowther trimaran just the diesel cook stove did an excellent job and always had fresh bread in a toasty cabin .
Tri would be about perfect, except the wide berths which are not generally available here (=Nordic countries), nor much anywhere by Atlantic side of Europe. Pier sides are but due >3m tides and rude construction they have high risk of damaging the boat..
Old 21-11-2021, 07:22   #807

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
thanks jim

no doubt there are more expensive ones around however we have raymarine and very happy with it

https://www.theboatwarehouse.com.au/...EaAi78EALw_wcB
https://chsmith.com.au/Products/Raym...QaAllfEALw_wcB

this includes the fluxgate compass sensor. guess i'm assuming that everyone who wants an autopilot already has wind instruments (maybe fair assumption / maybe not ?)

this compares pretty well with 5000 euro + for a wind vane !
https://ariesvanegear.com/products/aries-wind-vane/

cheers,
I have a Raymarine autopilot and a Monitor windvane. Had them both for many years. When I bought them the Raymarine was more than the Monitor. Both have required repairs or replacement over the years but the Raymarine has required more expenditure than the Monitor and I carry a spare Raymarine drive unit but no spare for the Montor, though (it has been reliable).

The lower priced Raymarine is simply not robust enough for my boat. Using it in heavy winds and big seas causes the motor to wear out quite rapidly (I'm on my third or fouth drive unit). Now I use it for motoring or very light winds.

The Monitor is very robust and handles all sea and wind conditions and we trust it not to break although we've blown up blocks a few times and broken control lines. After 15 years we had it strengthened further. Now I view it as bullet proof.

I think that the prices you link to are a bit low.

C.H. Smith Marine and Raymarine both show a partial Raymarine system. Both link to a kit with a hydraulic pump but no cylinder or other method to connect to the quadrant. Don't you need a hydraulic cylinder? The wheel drive version is not "below deck" and in my view, is not substantial enough for a passage making yacht. Add a control head for the Raymarine price. With a control head, but without a cylinder or hoses, wiring or installation, the price is over $3000. All up I'd say it compares with a Monitor price of $5000 (or $4500 for my boat).

Then, with an auto pilot do you entertain the need for a spare? Many people do.
Old 21-11-2021, 09:55   #808
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

By the Jefa linear arm. Much better then the ray marine one
Old 21-11-2021, 10:03   #809
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
By the Jefa linear arm. Much better then the ray marine one
Not they Raymarine type I/ or 2 is best electric linear arm last 30+ year i think is not change anything.
hydraulic i think is best france Lecomble & Schmitt.
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 10:22   #810
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

for example cat 45-50ft or to 60 ft mono
Lecomble and Schmitt Linear Pump 50ST20 kit 1500€ with tax 1800
Garmin GHP Reactor 40 - Universal kit 1050€ with tax 1300€

https://busse-yachtshop.de/s/Garmin-...49-mit-Display
https://www.nootica.com/lecomble-and...mp-50st20.html

normally all this is possible find cheaper.
last winter i pay this Garmin GHP Reactor 40 900€ + 25€ shipping with tax. only tax is 19% of this price.
for this setup thrust is 700Kg how much thrust windwane have. couple kg

and for power usage always sensitive can adjust to 7-8. windwane have sensitive 7000 thousand. from course Croatia- Italy you don't know if you finish in Egipt,Greec ,or return to some spot you come,but 100% you don't come to Italy
more is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull