Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2021, 12:44   #811

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Why do you guys like monohulls so much?

We've done many miles under windvane steering. Once you have taught yourself how to
use one, they're wonderful. Silent. No power draw. And you learn to make them sail the course you want to your destination. You interact with it a lot more than an electronic autopilot, which you expect to do everything perfectly without regard for wind direction. With the wind vane, you keep checking your direction, because it follows the wind, and the wind wanders around as it wills. One needs to correct the course. And it all averages out satisfactorily as long as one pays attention.

Ann
Old 21-11-2021, 12:58   #812
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Sheet-to-Tiller Self Steering

One advantage of sheet to tiller steering works well on all hull types and uses 0 power.
Yes it can be adapted to wheel steer as well .
Old 22-11-2021, 14:21   #813

Boat: Cheoy Lee, Ketch, 52ft - Kintsugi

Here’s another reason a mono beats a cat - The 1980 Harley has its own berth - in the aft stateroom - during passages. Not happening on a cat.
LOL
Old 24-11-2021, 11:42   #814

Boat: CL14 #1179

Another advantage of AP over WV steering is the ability to use davits, I agree with some of the other posters that with advances in solar and Lithium, the advantages of WV steering are lessening. I would rather spend the extra $5k-$8k installed on an upgraded Lithium bank and upgraded solar both of which, when you include the davits would add significantly to resale value, much more than a WV.
Wilyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2021, 12:21   #815

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilyum View Post
Another advantage of AP over WV steering is the ability to use davits, I agree with some of the other posters that with advances in solar and Lithium, the advantages of WV steering are lessening. I would rather spend the extra $5k-$8k installed on an upgraded Lithium bank and upgraded solar both of which, when you include the davits would add significantly to resale value, much more than a WV.
IMHO davits are not "blue water" safe solution on monohull boats under 70', points for catamarans on that as not so exposed position on them and more room for solar too..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2021, 12:35   #816
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Can’t one use a simple tillerpilot on some of the windvanes rather than buying the more expensive below decks autopilot?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2021, 14:06   #817

Properly designed you don’t need a 70’ boat - I use mine to load a Harley - and carry a 13’ whaler with 40hp. Electric winches all below decks. My dumb arse - untie the Harley - found I can lift me on the Harley tied to the whaler at the same time. They are designed for the force and weight of the water actually coming over the whaler - yet in thousands of miles, some purdy nasty seas, the worst that has happened is a flying fish sat for a few days - yuck! Only problem I have with the set up is it isn’t conducive to easy fishing.
Old 24-11-2021, 14:37   #818
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailmed52 View Post
Properly designed you don’t need a 70’ boat - I use mine to load a Harley - and carry a 13’ whaler with 40hp. Electric winches all below decks. My dumb arse - untie the Harley - found I can lift me on the Harley tied to the whaler at the same time. They are designed for the force and weight of the water actually coming over the whaler - yet in thousands of miles, some purdy nasty seas, the worst that has happened is a flying fish sat for a few days - yuck! Only problem I have with the set up is it isn’t conducive to easy fishing.

That’s the beauty of it, we all own our boats with different purposes in mind.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2021, 14:55   #819

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
IMHO davits are not "blue water" safe solution on monohull boats under 70', points for catamarans on that as not so exposed position on them and more room for solar too..
I’m pretty confident mine are good to hold the dinghy offshore.

They are capable of lifting the dinghy’s waterline 10ft from the water surface.

Catamaran too. I’ve always been nervous about that big bucket just waiting to catch some water. So I designed that risk out.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2021, 14:58   #820

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailmed52 View Post
Question. Could I have a motorcycle discussion with you over a private message? Or even in a different thread?

I was thinking about bringing one along. Much lighter and smaller than yours I’m sure. And it seems like you are able to do it. I didn’t find a good way to do it. Can we talk about this elsewhere?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2021, 15:32   #821

Sure !
Old 24-11-2021, 19:55   #822

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilyum View Post
Davits only add to the resale value for those people who care and know little about actually sailing or about safe seamanship at sea.

Of course that includes most of today's cruisers, so I guess you're OK.

WV does not add value. It makes your sailing more efficient and safer.
Old 24-11-2021, 20:29   #823

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Davits only add to the resale value for those people who care and know little about actually sailing or about safe seamanship at sea.

Of course that includes most of today's cruisers, so I guess you're OK.

WV does not add value. It makes your sailing more efficient and safer.
You don't use davits at sea - that's a basic - they're a coastal tool and great when island hopping in protected waters. Just because a boat has davits doesn't mean they don't put the dingy up on the foredeck/below when on passage.

Matt
Old 24-11-2021, 21:16   #824

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Johnson View Post
You don't use davits at sea - that's a basic - they're a coastal tool and great when island hopping in protected waters. Just because a boat has davits doesn't mean they don't put the dingy up on the foredeck/below when on passage.

Matt
In the first place Matt, when you leave the dock you have no idea what sea conditions you'll actually encounter. The "sea" starts whenever you are on the coast.

In the second place, the problems with davits affect you whenever you are sailing, even in protected waters. Anyone with davits on a boat of less than about 50ft really does not understand or care about the negative affect they have on the boat and they add nothing of value even on boats of that size and up. They add weight aloft, windage, and weight in the ends of the boat. All negatives.

But if one prefers a boat to motor around on (and even then the davits are a negative) instead of actually sailing it, that's fine. Enjoy. Everyone has their own idea of what they want. We're all boaters and entitled to our preferences.

But designers do not design sailboats for davits. Your boat was not designed for davits. They damage your performance but probably you don't care or you would not be defending them.

And for some of us, they certainly do not enhance the resale value (nor do wind vanes, for that matter)

Edit: Catamarans with dingys hung several feet ahead of the transoms are excepted from these comments.
Old 25-11-2021, 03:33   #825
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Johnson View Post

Matt
Whenever someone makes a seamanship statement in "absolutes", I often wonder what their level of experience is?

Structurally engineered with gripes for breaking seas from astern, they are better protected than those exposed on the bow to the far more frequent breaking head seas.

The weakness of most stern davit systems is that they have not thought out the clamping system or overbuilt for offshore
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull