Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2020, 21:56   #106

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5
Re: Why do you guys like monohulls so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

I think today almost everybody who can afford a cat, gets a cat.

b.
Totally cant agree with that one!
Many monohull sailors do not, and would not want a multihull - even if they were cheaper.
Old 28-10-2020, 22:09   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
A cruising cat flips over about as often as cruising monohulls sink - it happens, but rarely for both. And at least with the cat you still have your boat, albeit not super useful. Let’s stop this silly ‘cats flip/roll over so aren’t safe for cruising’ meme.

How many monos that roll over lose their rigs? Most? And some lose their structural integrity through hatch and/or window loss, engines and/or batteries falling through cabin tops, etc. Then sink. Horrible. Fortunately rare.

Our cat heels about 3-4 degrees when we go upwind in 15+ knots - not enough to slide things or render horizontal surfaces useless, but noticeable. I’m sure your tri, if it was anything like the F31 I used to sail in the Pacific Northwest, heeled at least 10 degrees when going upwind and reaching. And the F31 pointed at least as high as most racing monohulls. But it’s great that you prefer your current boat. Enjoy!
The manufacturers seem to be more concerned - unless those hatches in the bottoms are really only for viewing the fishies? .....
Old 28-10-2020, 22:13   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Marmite vegamite
It's Vegemite
Old 28-10-2020, 22:28   #109

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
The manufacturers seem to be more concerned - unless those hatches in the bottoms are really only for viewing the fishies? .....

It is (or was, not sure) a CE requirement from way back when. I don’t think any European manufacturer would put them in if they weren’t a requirement. As some new cats don’t have them, it seems to no longer be a requirement.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 22:45   #110

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
Here is a Balance 526 sailing 6.4 knots in 6 knots going into the wind, 30 degrees apparent. With only main and self tacking jib(not the thumbnail, but that's what they say in the comments).... Just wow... Although all other points you mentioned are dead accurate.
It's great! Just had to add this comment because maybe the person speaking mixed up SOG and TWS. The instruments they are pointing to seem to say: TWS 6.4 knots, SOG 6 knots. And a bit tighter: 50 degrees TWA and about 26 degrees AWA. (3.86 VMG to wind.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	balance_lightair.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	226074  
Old 28-10-2020, 22:46   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by river251 View Post
Every time I notice it, there are twice as many people reading the monohulls forum as reading the multihulls forum. I am really curious about this. Cats have what everyone wants, supposedly....no rolling (youtubers Kevin Boothby and Patrick Lane constantly talk about how tiring and unpleasant this is), things stay put, relatively more room. A non-tilted, non-rolling, roomy lifestyle. So what is the attraction of monohulls?

It can't just be cost or that everyone is waiting til they have enough money saved to sell their mono and get a cat. There are good older cats available for not that much more than decent older monos. Or am I wrong, it's the cost?

Two years of reading threads and watching videos and I still don't get it.

Thanks.
Well your next question could be regarding anchors, or even if you are brave - composting toilets .....

But getting to the preferences, to me the helming position of a cat is far from satisfying - likewise I enjoy a mono with a reasonable heel, slicing through the water. That to ME is real sailing.

I also I like that with a mono, you have instant feedback regarding the wind loading. The multihull sailors I come across refer to charts of wind speed vs reefing points or sail changes - simply because that feedback is not there, and that heeling to spill wind in a sudden gust is not there either (yes, I have seen a cruising multi lift a hull more than once, and my mind immediately turns to AVS calculations).

Then there is pleasure in investment when one turns to look at ones boat sitting there. Some monos are drop-dead gorgeous. some multis are dog ugly. I will leave that one there.

I love that with a multi, you have a back-up engine - don't love that you have to pay for it, and service it.

Lots or room in the hulls of many multis, but that room cannot be used to it's full capacity - especially up in the bows. Our mono has 140 metres of chain and two big anchors up in the bows, the waterline is factory standard, and the sailing is excellent.

Lot's of living room on a multi, and great that you can have a guest hull, and an owners hull. but we get on just fine with the few guests we have, and they are happy with their private aft cabin with en-suite.

Multis can go places a mono can't. Monos can go places a multi can't.

If I could justify the outlay for a nice big Oyster or Rassy, I would buy the nice big Oyster or Rassy - even though with that money, I could buy a nice big cat.

It really is down to personal preferences - mono sales are healthy, and so are multi sales. Some people prefer to live on a house boat, some prefer a motor yacht. Some prefer to live on a multi, some prefer a mono.

I enjoy the interior of a multi - I enjoy the interior and exterior of a good mono.

We are all different - that doesn't mean some of us are wrong!
Old 28-10-2020, 23:03   #112

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
That’s one heck of a trailer to move Panope around! Good point though.

I don’t know of any trailerable catamarans (besides beach cats), but Farrier/Corsair and other trimarans certainly do fold or demount for road trailering. I heard someone say that their fastest passage to Mexico from Vancouver was on the I5 and towing their F27 aft cabin. They spent a lovely 6 weeks on the Sea of Cortez and no Baja Bash to boot!
A friend of mine has a trailerable catamaran, a Gougeon 32.

Very narrow at about 8 ft. beam.

Has a masthead float to keep from inverting and a system of mast canting to right itself.

Very cool boat but no standing headroom.

Steve
Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 23:10   #113

Because cats cost double what a mono cost.

Just saying for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by river251 View Post
Every time I notice it, there are twice as many people reading the monohulls forum as reading the multihulls forum. I am really curious about this. Cats have what everyone wants, supposedly....no rolling (youtubers Kevin Boothby and Patrick Lane constantly talk about how tiring and unpleasant this is), things stay put, relatively more room. A non-tilted, non-rolling, roomy lifestyle. So what is the attraction of monohulls?

It can't just be cost or that everyone is waiting til they have enough money saved to sell their mono and get a cat. There are good older cats available for not that much more than decent older monos. Or am I wrong, it's the cost?

Two years of reading threads and watching videos and I still don't get it.

Thanks.
ArtyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 04:09   #114

Boat: Tartan 40

Because I like to sail in light wind.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 05:02   #115
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Because I like to sail in light wind.

Tartan 40, really nice sailing boat. But how would a Morgan Out Island, Westsail or Island Packer sail in light winds?
Some cats sail very well in light winds and others not so well, same goes for monohulls.
So many different designs with different intents.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 05:42   #116

8 pages of replies in 24 hours, OP MIA since first post......another day in a cat vs mono thread eh.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 05:58   #117

monos naturally "reef" as they heel. cats dont.

thats why!
Old 29-10-2020, 06:47   #118

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Some of these comments are hilarious! Everyone seems to only think of catamarans as the newest, biggest, charter version. And yes that is how a majority of them are, because they sell a lot that way. Like all boats, its supply and demand.
You dont see many full keel monos being built anymore, because the market demands lighter and faster
Catamarans can't sail to wind? We sail to above 40 degrees apparent. We can do 35 but start slowing down, 40 is fantastic!
No older cats? ours is from 93 and has circumnavigated twice(previous owners) and is still strong.
The "feel" of sailing? If heeling gives you that feel, then definately go monohull. But if triming and tweaking sails, moving the most efficiently and quickly through the water, feeling the wind and hearing the waves is the feel of sailing, then both accomplish. This one is more of a size thing, a hobie cat will give you as much sense of speed and feedback as an equivalent mono.
And the "costs too much" argument is my favorite. We have had so many conversations with cruisers saying they wished they could buy a cat, but couldn't afford it. Their mono(usually close to equal length) cost more than our cat did, and needed similar refit!
In our relatively short time of 1 year aboard we have never played extra to dock, and our 2 haulouts(survey, and some bottom work) didn't cost any different than a mono.(I checked in both locations)
I do agree that the motion is different. Some will prefer one over the other. I am fine with both, but dont enjoy being on heel for hours,, nevermind days, on end.
In a roll over situation. A cat is upside down and floating. A mono is right side up but incapacitated. Rig and/or sails are toast at minimum. In both, crew are thrown around and injured. Both are assistance or rescue required. So I dont see a big difference there.
What it really comes down to is choices. Everyone makes them and has preferences. Obviously I do too. Choose what's best for you and get out there and enjoy it
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 06:54   #119

No lower shroud and the upper shroud spreads out at the base by two lines which looks loose on the windward side? Weird to say the list.

Doesn't seawind say they have never lost a rig?
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 10:49   #120

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Because they are beautiful! At anchor! Especially while sailing with every stitch of canvas she will carry! From astern! From 200ft overhead! Bow on! Beam on! Underwater (except at end of season)! And honestly, being able to "bury the rail" is at times a goal not something to shy away from. Yes, sailing 24/7 in a constant state of heel can be work, especially when trying to cook scrambled eggs in a frypan filled to full, or getting out of the head, butt so what... So short answer in order of priority, fully appreciating my obvious bias:
1. Aesthetics
2. Aesthetics
3. Initial price/ongoing costs
4. Aesthetics
5. Ability to heel!
Wow! now I really want to go sailing, but she's on the hard until May, 2021, ugh!
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull