Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2020, 11:04   #121

Re: Why do you guys like monohulls so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy stone View Post
What kind of boat do you own?
Hi Sandy, so far just the ones in my dreams.
river251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 11:32   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Story View Post
I don't get the hommage to youtubers
That and the forums are all I have right now. I enjoy those two YouTube channels, because I learn a lot and they're fairly pleasant fellows period but boy do they complain about the boat rolling around, especially Kevin. Someday I'll transition from virtual sailing to real sailing.
river251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 11:53   #123

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
You’d need to ask the organisers of the races that don’t, why not. Generally it’s because a run of the mill not very expensive racing multihull with crap sails will beat the pants off of a very expensive top of the line racing monohull.
That’s probably true as long as the wind blows quite hard and from abaft the beam. But it’s not always true. The NZ Coastal Classic was won by a mono this year, just in case you never noticed.

I would be interested in seeing a multihull racing in the Southern Ocean in huge seas and screaming winds while kicking a Volvo 65 in the slats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2450878C-1331-46FD-AA52-91E137416379.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	421.0 KB
ID:	226103  
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 12:03   #124

Gee, what kind of boat holds the Jules Verne record? Pretty sure they spend a little time in the southern ocean.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 12:07   #125

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd9truck View Post
Why don’t they let cats or tri,s in offshore races like Newport to Bermuda?
Using a cat is cheating.

Mine was built in South Africa, and sailed on its own keel to USA.

I was a little unsure about going the cat route as most of my sailing experience was mono.

But caught offshore in a moderate storm we didn't even worry about spilling the Champaign.

My wife fixed dinner on a non gimballed stove, and heated up coffee in the microwave, while i stayed at the helm in 25-30kt winds, and significant seas.

Occasionally I would hear a boom as a wave broke under the bridgedeck, I found small course changes made this infrequent.

Note: my wife has claustrophobia, and gets motion sickness.

Her only complaint after the storm was a slight headache.

In a monohull, under similar conditions she was sick as a dog, and unable to function.

Sailing a cat is different, but still fun. It's more of a "sail by numbers" than a mono.

And when I arrive at my destination, it's like a floating condo with all the comforts of home.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 12:26   #126

Jeez guys. Why not Mono vs Cat racing? Simple. You race either one-design so it's an even field, or you race handicap rating to get an even field.

The problem is there is no rating rule that works for both cats and displacement monos. You get one rule like IRC which is for ballasted monos and then another SCHRS rule for cats. Problem is they are not compatible. Separate races on the same course is fine but you end up with two different winners.

And yes, multihulls have raced the southern ocean and the Tri IDEC 3 holds the record at 42 days, 16 hours, 40 minutes and 35 seconds.

Banque Populaire, an Imoca, has the mono record at 74 days 3h 35m.
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 15:47   #127

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
Gee, what kind of boat holds the Jules Verne record? Pretty sure they spend a little time in the southern ocean.
Hardly a “not very expensive multihull with crap sails”?
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 16:06   #128

Boat: Bavaria 50 Cruiser

My "window of affordability" is incompatible with the cheapest used multihull.
But I very well can afford a used 46-51 mono in good condition!

Regards,

-Richard (VK4WRS)
Old 29-10-2020, 16:07   #129
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin View Post
My "window of affordability" is incompatible with the cheapest used multihull.
But I very well can afford a used 46-51 mono in good condition!

Regards,

-Richard (VK4WRS)

What’s your budget as that doesn’t seem realistic.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 16:09   #130

Probably a cost and time in market issue but is anyone aware of solo round the world via southern cape voyages on a production cat thats not sponsored racing?

If not someone with a seawind should do it.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 16:26   #131

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

I’ve only sailed a cat once and it felt like driving a minivan
Old 29-10-2020, 16:29   #132

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
You’d need to ask the organisers of the races that don’t, why not. Generally it’s because a run of the mill not very expensive racing multihull with crap sails will beat the pants off of a very expensive top of the line racing monohull. It’s the same reason Hobie Cats and Wharrams were once considered symbols of counter culture (well, Wharrams still are I expect).

As an example, Sydney-Hobart race organiser the CYCA just sites their own CYCA General Conditions of Racing clause 8.1 “a boat shall be of monohull construction...”. I.E. just because.

Brest Ultime Challenge, Jules Verne Trophy, Transat Jacques Varbe, Caribbean 600, Fastnet, etc, etc, etc, all allow multihulls.
Anybody who doesn't already know that a performance catamaran is faster, particularly off the wind, than a performance monohull of the same length hasn't been paying attention.

There are other considerations pro and con, for both sides as has been stated.

However we find, anectodally speaking, that cruisers with cruising monohulls vs cruisers with cruising cats, don't usually cross oceans in much different numbers of days. In other words, in practical terms, speed potential doesn't often show up in speed achieved. Someone who says contrarily that they have cossed from "X" to "Z" days faster that any of the monohulls they know of, it just means they don't have a typical cruising catamaran.

If you prefer either cats vs monohulls, unless you are into a race boat of either pursuasion, your preference is not based on speed.
Old 29-10-2020, 16:45   #133
smj

Why do you guys like monohulls so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Anybody who doesn't already know that a performance catamaran is faster, particularly off the wind, than a performance monohull of the same length hasn't been paying attention.

There are other considerations pro and con, for both sides as has been stated.

However we find, anectodally speaking, that cruisers with cruising monohulls vs cruisers with cruising cats, don't usually cross oceans in much different numbers of days. In other words, in practical terms, speed potential doesn't often show up in speed achieved. Someone who says contrarily that they have cossed from "X" to "Z" days faster that any of the monohulls they know of, it just means they don't have a typical cruising catamaran.

If you prefer either cats vs monohulls, unless you are into a race boat of either pursuasion, your preference is not based on speed.

So what actual cruising monohulls would you compare to actual cruising cats? Meaning manufacturer and length
Old 29-10-2020, 17:08   #134

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
So what actual cruising monohulls would you compare to actual cruising cats? Meaning manufacturer and length
There is an almost infinate variety of sailboats passing through a port like this, monohulls and cats.

Around here I see Jeanneau 40-45', Beneteau 40-45', Halberg Rassy similalry sized.

I see Island Packets, and Westsails 42's, Gulfstars, up to 50'

Bigger boats, Deerfoot and a variety of others the manufacturers I don't know,

Hanse, Dufor, etc.

Catalina 43-47' Hunter 40-45'

Cats (I'm no expert at all on catamarans): Lagoon, FP, Seawind, Prout, Catana, don't see many of the Aussie boats but some, occasionally a Schionning, any number of homebuilt plywood tri's.

I'm not talking about the performance boats of either catagory.
Old 29-10-2020, 17:32   #135
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
There is an almost infinate variety of sailboats passing through a port like this, monohulls and cats.

Around here I see Jeanneau 40-45', Beneteau 40-45', Halberg Rassy similalry sized.

I see Island Packets, and Westsails 42's, Gulfstars, up to 50'

Bigger boats, Deerfoot and a variety of others the manufacturers I don't know,

Hanse, Dufor, etc.

Catalina 43-47' Hunter 40-45'

Cats (I'm no expert at all on catamarans): Lagoon, FP, Seawind, Prout, Catana, don't see many of the Aussie boats but some, occasionally a Schionning, any number of homebuilt plywood tri's.

I'm not talking about the performance boats of either catagory.

Maybe I was mistaken, when you said “we find”, I thought it was from your experience,
So your basic cruising catamaran would be Lagoon, Leopard and FP. What cruising monohulls would you consider to be equal performers to the catamaran big 3?

Tags
hull, monohull