Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2015, 10:50   #1

Boat: Clark, San Juan 30
Why does nobody talk about the San Juan 30

I know that there were only about 360 built between 1975 and 1978 mine is Hull # 310 I have always wanted to find out more info. But no one ever talks about them. Is there something wrong with them? or so few that no one knows anything about them.

These are great Boats there comfortable and Sail awesomely. Does anyone on this Forum own one except for myself. I know they made a lot of 28's and very few 30's I find myself sometimes wondering why does nobody talk about one or ever mention it when referring to 30 ft class boats this is a Sailing vessel that is Strong well built and easy to sail.

I have sailed her many Miles in truly rough conditions. it has never Failed me she is smooth never bumpy in waves it plows right thru them no hard bumps. I have had the opportunity to sail on many 30 footers and none can compare to the ride you get aboard mine.

Can anybody offer any advise or something I want to learn about I find tidbit's of info on things like where is the best spot to install a auto Bilge Pump there are no answers out there I joined this Group to hopefully find some answers to questions I have about outfitting the boat My Father was a Captain in the USN I have had the pleasure of sailing on quite a few boats in the 30 foot class in my lifetime. None of them even compare to the comfort of Sailing A Clark San Juan 30 they have all had a bumpy ride and none even compare with the speed I get even with a 1-2 knot wind.

I have Sailed her in 60 - 80 knot wind not by Choice but out of getting to Safety when a wave swamped the boat Killing the engine. I had only one choice. Unfurl the Jib and Hang on. To my Surprise I thought I would be scared to death my biggest worry was the Mast Wouldn't hold on it did and In that speed of wind I found Myself really Sailing in 30 plus foot waves she plowed right thru them no slams of the bow she was very stable I was completely surprised.

So I ask Please if anyone knows any technical Data for this boat not Sailboat data Page I know this info. But real Life Data Have you Sailed on one Have you ever owned one. share some info with me.

I thank you all so much for the tech advise I read for other Sailing Vessels But would like some input on the one I own.

Please feel free to respond I want to hear the Good The Bad and the Worst

Thank You S/V UsCa a Truly Happy San Juan 30 Owner
Chevy1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 13:13   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Why does nobody talk about the San Juan 30

So I am not an owner, but years ago I admired that boat as a great possible coastal cruiser for my area because I wanted to go fast and I like spartan accommodations. My thought is that these boats were purchased almost exclusively for racing and not many folks on this forum have them or considered them. Sail.net has a bunch though I bet. I am with you though, it looks like a really fun coastal cruiser to me. In my case now my preferences lean toward no spade rudders and no keel bolts for cruising, but those are just my quirks brought on by age, no doubt.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 13:36   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lavezzi 40

As a college student in the late 1970's - early 1980's a classmate and I raced as crew on "Flaunt" out of the Tacoma Yacht Club. She was one of the very first SJ30's - I do not remember the hull number, but it was in the low single digits. If I recall correctly, the owner bought hull and deck from the manufacturer and finished the boat himself.

With very limited funds, he had to choose between fitting out below deck and fitting out above deck. Since this was a racing boat, below deck lost out and the only furnishing was a continuous layer of midnight blue velour on hull and overhead and a porta-potty. Going below at night was like climbing into the womb. It was good practice to announce yourself when going below at an out of town pre-race raft up, because if a crew mate got lucky you wouldn't know it until it until you'd become a party to an unintended threesome...

As I remember, the thing was squirrely as hell deep down wind and we often flew a blooper when sailing deep. That was a lot of spaghetti on a 30' boat. I have fond memories of that boat. Anyone know what became of her?
Grateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 17:46   #4

Clark was located in Auburn Wa about 2 blocks north of the airport. I worked at a machine shop on the other end of the street. Thats all i know, but i have seen them on craigs list in the area so i wsould imagine that most were in or around puget sound. Lots of sj 21's around here too.
Andy

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 18:30   #5

I had my eye I on a couple of those this winter while I was shopping 1 was in north west washington the other in southern california I never did see them in person but they sounded like a good boat but I ended up with a farallon 29 of which only about 100 were made so I find even fewer posts on those. My girl lives in the san juan islands I see you're in washington as well perhaps we could meet up sometime I'd love to see how you got your boat rigged.
farm sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 18:43   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1217 View Post
But no one ever talks about them.
Glad you like your boat. Always a good sign.

Have you tried a Google search? Really.

Tons of info out there. Like this one:

SJ history
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 19:29   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You asked why no one talks about them here.
I never considered a SJ30 to be a "cruising" boat, instead saw it as a racer, like a J29. Yes, they can have berths for sleeping, but the ones I saw were really intended for day sailing, races.

There are a lot of boats that never get mentioned here, including many that are designed primarily for cruising.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:14   #8

Boat: Clark, San Juan 30

Thank you
Yes I do live in Washington, Sandy Point Located just north of Lummi Island. I live on the Georgia Strait Orcas and Sucia are in my front yard. I hope to see you at My BBQ this coming Summer. Larry I have read most of you books they have helped me to enjoy sailing more. I am Handicapped I only have the use of my Left arm, the right one is there but just doesn't want to work anymore. I have to have the Winches manned by my wife. Sandy And I have been working on her for a few years now. She's not as pretty on the inside as some of the cruisers I have seen but we make do .

We would love to meet up sometime and Sail along side. I go extremely fast upwind but the downwind is a little squirrely until I fig out the right combo to steady her up in 80knt wind though downwind she flew like a speedboat seamed as we were skipping from wave top to wave top smooth and fast kinda Scary to be Honest.

Look forward to meeting you soon and Don't forget the bbq in june I'll post a date in april.

Jack S/v UsCa
Chevy1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:02   #9

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

I've sailed on a San Juan 24 and a San Juan 34 and have a friend that had a San Juan 28 that I've sailed in company with. The San Juan 30 was designed as an IOR rule raceboat to meet the half ton rating. All three of these boats have a similar heritage of being IOR or close to IOR designs.

I like the way they sail in light air and upwind. With the fairly low form stability you're going to sail more heeled over than other designs. Downwind like most IOR boats they are squirrelly. If you depower enough downwind you get away from the fun mode of the era of whoever broaches the least wins the race. Even depowered though you have to be fairly active steering to stay on course. If you're not racing there's really no point in putting up a lot of sail downwind, they don't go past hull speed, they just create a large stern wave.

I like the boats. They're a good choice for light air regions like Puget Sound, but they're pretty far down on my list as to what to buy for a cruising boat, local or long distance.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:10   #10

I learned to sail racing a SJ21 (my first boat!), a 24, a 28 and a 30. The 30 I raced on was bright yellow hull, cant remember the name. They are good boats for what they are, pretty much a "local built Catalina" maybe, not heavy, nor super light built. I think they are pretty good boats for what they are, but not a "cruising boat" like many discussed here on CF. As mentioned the 24 and 30 were pretty much IOR rule boats and there were a lot of those built by many manufacturers not discussed much any more.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:30   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1217 View Post
Thank you
Yes I do live in Washington, Sandy Point Located just north of Lummi Island. I live on the Georgia Strait Orcas and Sucia are in my front yard. I hope to see you at My BBQ this coming Summer. Larry I have read most of you books they have helped me to enjoy sailing more. I am Handicapped I only have the use of my Left arm, the right one is there but just doesn't want to work anymore. I have to have the Winches manned by my wife. Sandy And I have been working on her for a few years now. She's not as pretty on the inside as some of the cruisers I have seen but we make do .

We would love to meet up sometime and Sail along side. I go extremely fast upwind but the downwind is a little squirrely until I fig out the right combo to steady her up in 80knt wind though downwind she flew like a speedboat seamed as we were skipping from wave top to wave top smooth and fast kinda Scary to be Honest.

Look forward to meeting you soon and Don't forget the bbq in june I'll post a date in april.

Jack S/v UsCa
Sorry I am not Larry, i merely quoted him in my signature with credit.
farm sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:35   #12

Boat: C&C 37

I race against a San Juan 30 PHRF at a local club. Very quick boat in light air and is still being sailed against many newer boats extremely competitively.

Nice boat! Sails and balances very well.
Sailor SAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san juan