Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2024, 05:51   #31

Re: Why no mainsheet traveller?

Is it possible to safely install a traveller on a newer boat? I had a Beneteau 37 with a traveller and loved it in puffs, especially when solo. As mentioned, few newer boats have them. Perhaps attach to the arch on the newer Beneteau's, or add an arch? Or go Dehler style and put it on the cockpit floor.
Jimmyb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2024, 06:18   #32

Instead of a traveler add a boom vang. That will get you the luff tension. Then use the Mainsheet like a traveler. It’s called Vang Sheeting. Easy to install and no need for traveller cars and track.track
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2024, 06:56   #33

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb57 View Post
Is it possible to safely install a traveller on a newer boat? I had a Beneteau 37 with a traveller and loved it in puffs, especially when solo. As mentioned, few newer boats have them. Perhaps attach to the arch on the newer Beneteau's, or add an arch? Or go Dehler style and put it on the cockpit floor.
I'm sure it's possible in most cases. Particularly if the hard points for the original blocks are able to be used at the ends, otherwise some minor additional hard points may be required wherever a new traveller goes. There are travelers pdesigned with only the ends supported if you need to go over hatches and the like as well. Wherever it's mounted, through bolts and backing plates should be used. Some boats were just screwed into glass and wood, they did not hold up well. Most traveller tracks will not bend. So one that is factory curved or a mount made to match deck contours with a flat top can be made. The distance between bolt holes on traveler track is the same on Schafer and Harken, which may be useful information for those who just want to change.
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2024, 06:56   #34

Boat: Moody 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happ View Post
Instead of a traveler add a boom vang. That will get you the luff tension. Then use the Mainsheet like a traveler. It’s called Vang Sheeting. Easy to install and no need for traveller cars and track.track
but you'll still have to run the lines/organizers, etc for a vang if you run it to the cockpit.

another option could be an A-frame type main sheet set up. then you just end up with even more lines in the cockpit.

personally I like the idea of a traveler. still would want a vang though especially for running to be able to control twist.
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote