Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2020, 10:59   #46

Boat: Freedom 30
Re: Why the hate on Island Packets?

I think the real issue with the chain-plates and tackage is that because they are glassed in it is costly/destructive to inspect them prior to buying a used one. That is the reason they are not on my current list although I like the boats and enjoyed sailing on one.
Jaqun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:21   #47

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I remember looking at an IP in a boat show. I already had offshore experience, and one look at the owner's berth in the forecabin convinced me it was not designed for offshore sailing. I also came out of the Cape Cod canal with a 44 in about 6-8 knots of wind. I put up full canvas and sailed to P Town. The IP tried sailing for a while, but were going about half my speed so they turned their engine back on.

OTOH, I met an IP coming across the Indian Ocean whose owner loved her, in spite of the fact that she cut off his finger with the hatch of the anchor locker in Sri Lanka. I'd put it in the same category as an Amel.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:26   #48
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

if you are looking for a heavy broad beamed boat then the IP is for you. i sailed on an IP 40 in 15 to 20 knot winds. we could only get 6 knots out of the boat and it should have been doing 8 easily. but hey who's in a hurry
Old 08-09-2020, 11:59   #49
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie View Post
These boat are in fact very conservative in their way of yachting. In fact reminescent of 'classic' wooden shapes of an other era, when fiberglass molding was unknown, finite element design, inexistant, and naval architecture concepts for sailing yachts very primitive. Nice looking, spacious, strongly built(heavy), confortable in a seaway(relatively!), but heavy and slow and horrible upwind. They just can't compare to modern design performance wise. But they are well built !.
Strangely enough, conservative concepts(and politics!) are attractive to American while the rest of the developped world consider this simply as backward(except maybe some sons of Albion).

I'm no fan of this type of slow boat!
We care why?
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:02   #50
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
if you are looking for a heavy broad beamed boat then the IP is for you. i sailed on an IP 40 in 15 to 20 knot winds. we could only get 6 knots out of the boat and it should have been doing 8 easily. but hey who's in a hurry
My IP 44 went 8.91 kn upwind on close reach in 15kkn wind in bay type seas. Strapped down and healed 15 of course.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:07   #51
cruiser

Older 1990 s larger IPs say 38+ really hold their value. Compared to Bennys and Hunters and catalinas such they really really hold their value . I sold my IP 44 in 2007 for 214k. IP 44s are still selling for around 200k. What other boat has this price endurance? They virtually keep up with inflation.
Old 08-09-2020, 14:04   #52

Boat: 1991 Island Packet 35

When you buy an Island Packet it’s like you’re joining a family. Owners really stick together usually greeting each other at remote anchorages or Marinas and openly sharing IP info all the time with their great owners forum. Before my Island Packet 35, Serenade, I Owned both Pearsons and Catalinas. Those are nice boats but they just can’t compare to the craftsmanship, stability, STORAGE,, and safety of an island packet with that solid full keel. Especially if you intend to live on board like I do. It gets me where I’m going comfortably and I no longer shy away from 20+ Knot winds because she loves it. They are built more like a linebacker instead of a wide receiver. My next boat, if I am so fortunate, would only be an IP for me. Maybe some people bash them because they cannot afford one, could be. To me it’s worth it to save up a little more.
Musicaltrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 14:40   #53

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
IP produced their own core material. No imagineable person would trade their IP for any Out Island tub.

Wow...that was rude! ...and what brand of boat do you have?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 14:49   #54

Boat: Pearson 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Wow...that was rude! ...and what brand of boat do you have?
I believe he bought a Gemini 105. Kinda throwing rocks in a glass house if you ask me.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 16:04   #55
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I remember looking at an IP in a boat show. I already had offshore experience, and one look at the owner's berth in the forecabin convinced me it was not designed for offshore sailing. I also came out of the Cape Cod canal with a 44 in about 6-8 knots of wind. I put up full canvas and sailed to P Town. The IP tried sailing for a while, but were going about half my speed so they turned their engine back on.

OTOH, I met an IP coming across the Indian Ocean whose owner loved her, in spite of the fact that she cut off his finger with the hatch of the anchor locker in Sri Lanka. I'd put it in the same category as an Amel.
No IP has an "Owners Berth "in the "fore cabin"
Old 08-09-2020, 16:31   #56
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

if they would only get rid of that baby poop color....tons more people would like it...I think that color is off-putting to many...
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 16:34   #57

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

I don't know... I feel like a stark white Island Packet would just look weird...
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 17:02   #58
Marine Service Provider

I heard talk that IP may change hull color, not sure if that is rumor or fact...????
I can't imagine a white IP...I agree, would likely look weird......they'd have to change some styling to go along with it...
Old 08-09-2020, 17:04   #59
Marine Service Provider

I did go and look at one once....but my eyes just could not get past that color...might get " used to it" off course...but with so many other options around..I didn't stick around to find out..
Old 08-09-2020, 17:09   #60

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Best answer- flag blue hull...
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
island packet