Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2020, 05:37   #76
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Why the hate on Island Packets?

nah, I'm one of those people that can sleep on an asphalt road....that front berth looks pretty damn cosy to me...jam a few pillows in there....I'm gone....
conversely, crawling into a cramped quarter-berth with low headroom gives me the heeby jeebies....
sleepin' in the cockpit is my fav....

it's different strokes for different folks....

but that color....no thanks.....not for me....were it not for that, I might have taken a stab at one of these one time...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:37   #77

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsdurango View Post
Seems they are either loved or hated. Lots of them out there and they seem to hold their value.
I've been eyeing the brand because I am tall and want a less than 35' boat. It's hard to find the head room in other makes. They are a nice looking boat. But I keep hearing folks say how horrible they are to sail.
What's up with that? Too slow? Hard to manage? Unstable? Uncomfortable under way?
What is the real gripe about Island Packet?
Thanks.
People wanting to justify their own preferences. Any design could be the target next time.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:56   #78

We spent months looking at hundreds of boats. Totally clean slate and decent budget and ended up with an IP. I've not run into a person who hates them. I've only run into people who have talked themselves out of one and usually because they just want a faster boat.

But they fill a niche that's REALLY hard to beat if you fit that niche: hold their value, well built, super safe, plenty of room, comfortable under heavy seas, fine sailor, gets into most gunk holes without fin keel. And I can get all of this in around 30'. Most boats we looked at were 37-40' and right there is yet another part of the "niche" it fills. I'm happy running around in a much shorter boat that's every bit as capable and comfortable.
Justcuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:45   #79

There’s an IP 38 for sale in the Houston area if you are looking for one at a good price. It’s located at Bayland Marina and the older couple have been trying to sell it for a couple of years, now. They weren’t very successful sailors and will never take it cruising...
Google Bayland Marina and ask for the owner’s phone number.
The boat is in slip C-4.
mackrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:08   #80

Boat: Catalina 28

The new owners of IP will be happy to make your new IP any color you like. The ivory is still the stock color, but apparently the owners aren't as set in their feelings about it as Bob Johnson was.

https://ipy.com/about/we-are

(look at the Customization section of that page)

If Mrs Hukilau and I were to be purchasing a boat for cruising the Bahamas and Florida (and had lots of $$$$), an IP would be at the very top of the list. Since neither of those scenarios is the case (sadly), we'll be making due with the Catalina 28 for now.
hukilaumike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:09   #81

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

IPs are very nice boats, cannot say that I’ve read or heard much of anything negative about them, outside of if your unfortunate enough to have to replace the chain plates, as they are molded into the hull. Strong as hell but a ton of work to replace when it’s needed. I would certainly own one, being 6’4” tall they are always on the wish list.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:11   #82

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

I had a 1990 IP35 for six years and loved it. Right up until it dismasted in 25kts of wind due to chainplate failure (true story). I have since owned a Mason 44 and a Hans Christian 33, and feel that both of those boats built in Taiwan were more robust and of higher quality.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:30   #83

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

Agree with what most are saying here. I sailed an IP 35 for a summer. Quality boat that is quite heavy. As a result, very sea-kindly and stable in heavy weather. If you’re looking for a greyhound, this is the wrong boat.
DaveKurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:30   #84

Boat: 1990 Island Packet 32

Go to the IPYOA Facebook group for loads of insight on IPs, including color match.
I've lived aboard my 1990 IP32 for over 4 years. Solid, comfortable home, gets me where I want to go, takes good care of me. I love sailing her and living on her. We live and sail in the Pacific Northwest.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:38   #85

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsdurango View Post
What is the real gripe about Island Packet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
They are designed as Bahamas/Caribbean cruisers and are spacious, shallow draft vessels, which benefits come at the expense of light air and upwind performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Ok Ok OK! Here is the IP secret. It is a large durable reliable product that actually has integrity .
I have some fairly firm opinions about IPs. I've delivered a number of them and the IP370 was on my short list for Auspicious. I've visited the factory at least three times and had friends there pre-acquisition ("Bob Johnson's retirement plan").

The are indeed stout well-built robust boats. People have done a lot of things. Bob's target market that he never lost sight of was the US East Coast/Bahamas snowbirds. That led directly to the Full Foil Keel (R) on the three-digit boats. For that market, IPs are just about perfect. They are reliable, very comfortable, and great for liveaboards.

Upwind performance is poor which can lead to very long and sometimes mildly uncomfortable passages to windward. If you pinch them leeway increases a lot. The best way to get to windward is close reaching and tacking. VMG is better. This limits your options if there is something like the Gulf Stream or a continent in the way. *grin* Can you do better? Certainly, which ultimately is why I passed on the IP370 for myself. Sailing performance and indeed the ICW is why so many used IPs have high engine hours. Let's be realistic though and recognize that many if not most "sailors" motor a LOT.

I don't take any exception to their light air performance. I think that Internet reputation is more a result of mediocre seamanship and impatience.

The glassed in tanks do give me pause. The chainplate issue is more a function in my opinion of the glassed in fibers than the plates per se. Causation doesn't make that problem any easier if it bites you. As others have said boats are compromises and nothing is perfect. On my boat to replace water heater someday I'll have to dismount the engine, shift the generator inboard, replace the water heater, and put everything back. *sigh*

If you look hard enough I think you'll find a hater for anything. The real question is do they have facts to back up their position? Different people can come to different conclusions (conclusions are after all opinions) based on the same facts. For those who just wave their arms and pontificate there is little to do but nod politely and wander off aimlessly.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:41   #86

Boat: Leopard 40 Sailing Catamaran

Jammer had the best answer.. IMHO. He listed the negatives and positives. Pretty much all boats have negatives (except sunfish... I'll always love them).

If it get's you on the water that's what counts. Granted, doing due diligence, you should always weigh plusses/minuses.

If we'd listened to the naysayers, we'd probably not bought our cat (40 ft). For the sailing we're doing it works for us and... it gets us on the water.

Cheers!
Old 11-09-2020, 08:42   #87

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
The glassed in tanks do give me pause. The chainplate issue is more a function in my opinion of the glassed in fibers than the plates per se. Causation doesn't make that problem any easier if it bites you. As others have said boats are compromises and nothing is perfect. On my boat to replace water heater someday I'll have to dismount the engine, shift the generator inboard, replace the water heater, and put everything back. *sigh*

If you look hard enough I think you'll find a hater for anything. The real question is do they have facts to back up their position? Different people can come to different conclusions (conclusions are after all opinions) based on the same facts. For those who just wave their arms and pontificate there is little to do but nod politely and wander off aimlessly.

I think the real answer is: all boats suck, you just need to find one that doesn't suck in ways you care too much about.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:45   #88

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I think the real answer is: all boats suck, you just need to find one that doesn't suck in ways you care too much about.
Without disagreement, I put your point differently: you want a boat that leads you to turn around and look at her in contentment as you dinghy away or walk down the dock. I feel that way about Auspicious and frankly have felt that way about a number of boats I have delivered, even some that irritated me slightly. *grin*
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:57   #89

Island Packets may be well made but boy they are one of the ugliest boats and the hull color looks like putty...in my opinion. I don't think anyone sails into an anchorage and says 'wow, look at that IP'...just sayin!
oceanluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:07   #90

They are generally more expensive than other boats of it's type/year/size/condition.
Not particularly good looking and not the best sailer either.
They do have less draft, I guess that is their target market but not a lot less either.
But they are really better build and finished than say some asian full keel boat.
Wckoek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
island packet