Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 10:36   #1

Windward 30'

Does anyone know anything about Windward 30 sailboats built by Richard Carlson?

My understanding is that these weren't production boats but were built to order...I've found a listing for sale that appears to be of good value but I can't find any info about these boats at all.

Cruiserforum's collective wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Rob
Carogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 13:08   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Windward 30'

Don't know anything about them, but Sailboat Data has some information. And, here's a website about Carlson.
Old 13-05-2013, 04:37   #3

Boat: Judel/Vrolijk 33

We visited Dick Carlson a few years ago at his house on Long Island. He didn't remember too much about this particular model. If there are pictures of this one that is for sale, I'd be most interested in seeing them.
Barney Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 04:57   #4

Boat: hunter 376

According to a CL ad here in BC, they were built in Richmond, BC in the 70s and 80s. If it isn't the same boat you are looking at, its currently listed on Craigslist BC for 10,000, and appears to be in nice condition.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 06:03   #5

sailboatdata.com is me. I couldn't remember where that information came from. All the other Carlson designs of this vintage/type were imported from Spain and of wood construction. As I said, Carlson himself couldn't remember this model so I had my doubts. So the information that is shown (limited though it is) appears to be correct for the most part.
Old 01-07-2013, 17:20   #6

I am looking at a windward 30 as well. Does anyone know anything about them?
Chris12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 14:08   #7

The Windward 30 is a great boat.
The first 5 were built in Richmond BC under the name "North Coast 30" in 1969 and 1970. The young engineers who built them to a high structural standard but couldn't make the business end of the operation function. The mold and production rights were sold and renamed "Windward 30." My Dad bought one in 1972. We sailed as a family on her, and 41 years later I am still sailing on it with my family.

We have been out in every kind of exciting sailing weather you can imagine, from 45 knot storms in the Gulf of Georgia, to waking up after spending a night ashore and finding that a failed chain on a mooring resulted in her grinding on the beach. These are strong, safe boats.

Her sistership, the Surger sailed across the Atlantic and is likely still in the Mediterranean.

She sails well. Might be a bit heavy for light airs. There are faster modern designs out there, but for a (now) cheap, safe, reasonably fast boat, this is a good option.
Westcoast boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 14:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoast boy View Post
The first 5 were built in Richmond BC under the name "North Coast 30" in 1969 and 1970. The young engineers who built them to a high structural standard but couldn't make the business end of the operation function. The mold and production rights were sold and renamed "Windward 30." My Dad bought one in 1972. We sailed as a family on her, and 41 years later I am still sailing on it with my family.

We have been out in every kind of exciting sailing weather you can imagine, from 45 knot storms in the Gulf of Georgia, to waking up after spending a night ashore and finding that a failed chain on a mooring resulted in her grinding on the beach. These are strong, safe boats.

Her sistership, the Surger sailed across the Atlantic and is likely still in the Mediterranean.

She sails well. Might be a bit heavy for light airs. There are faster modern designs out there, but for a (now) cheap, safe, reasonably fast boat, this is a good option.
Thanks Westcoast boy. That's very interesting. As I said, I met with the designer Dick Carlson 2 years ago. I'm just trying to preserve a few shreds of the history of these things before it's gone forever.
Old 30-11-2013, 15:09   #9

I'm sorry to hear that Richard Carlson couldn't remember much about his design...He must be getting to a fine age now. If he gets to BC, he is welcome to come out for a sail to refresh his memory!
Westcoast boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 19:44   #10

Boat: Windward 30 sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoast boy View Post

Hey sailors,

I'm taking my Windward 30 from the shore's of Canada across the pond to Australia, I'll let you know how she goes... or you can follow along at: theonboardproject - YouTube
Benny241525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 20:43   #11

Hi All - originally from Philly I purchased for $14,000 Richard Carlson’s Carlson 30 in 1988. The gentleman who found the boat was both a friend of Carlson as well as my family. At the time it needed some cosmetic work and just a few small areas of rot. My plan was to head Southward to warmer temps repairing and painting the boat as I headed to at the time no specific destination. I thought of Florida or beyond. The motor was a British Dolphin that ran on gas/oil mixture. It had two sets of points. One for running clockwise or forward and the second set to run counterclockwise or reverse.

Long story short I broke down in Pasadena MD on the Chesapeake and quickly jumped on a Morgan 60 as crew while the Marina kept an eye on Maori. Of the NC coast the Morgan started taking on water and the Coast Guard towed us into Wrightsville Beach NC. After settling there and a few years later I sold Maori to Stuart Benson of Wilmington NC.

He hired a young carpenter to live onboard and finish replacing wood. Finally with the passing of an additional decade his son had the boat on jacks behind his house. I located him and called. After expressing my interest he was willing to give me Maori. I thought to make the 3 hour drive on the weekends and with his given permission camp in the yard and make needed repairs.

Well life took over and that never happened. Last I saw he had it for sale maybe 15years ago. I have a half-poster-sized building plans of 3 different views on my wall framed along with random spare parts and oddities off the boat. Wish I could locate her once again!
Smarvill is offline   Reply With Quote