Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2021, 13:21   #1

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport
Wing keel in the Chesapeake?

Can I pick the brains of some Chesapeake sailors? I am considering buying a pocket cruiser to sail on the Chesapeake. I am used to 40-50' boats I bareboat in various locales, but would like a pocket cruiser I can put on a trailer, rigged, at a marina, then just back her down the ramp and sail. The whole putting up the mast gig does not appeal to me. This avoids the bottom growth and dockage $ issue as well.
I was thinking about an 18-22' Catalina. I would like to be able to 'camp' below decks for a weekender, so I would like a cabin with a berth, maybe a small composter loo. No galley needed, sandwiches etc, would be fine.
Here is my question. There are tons of Catalina 18's to be had, but nearly all have a wing keel. I read random stuff that wings will snag crab pots and make me miserable. Is a wing keel a bad idea on the Chesapeake?
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 14:02   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1
Re: Wing keel in the Chesapeake?

I don't want to sound snarky, but if you avoid the crab pots there is no problem. The keel on my boat is a standard fin keel. However, she has twin rudders which are prime pot snaggers; I keep a close watch. There are sections of the Bay with lots of crab pots and others with none. The time of the year and the week (think hauling in lots of crabs for the weekend restaurant business) make a difference, too.

It seems this season more of the floats for the crab pots have flags on them. Wish they all did as these are easier to see.
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 14:13   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Generally, your plan sounds great. The Chesapeake is a lot of fun, and a smaller boat can get into a lot of secluded places. I can also relate to not wanting to raise the mast for each use, which we did last year. The trailering, setup, and launching were enough hassle and time that this year we paid for a slip.

I would be more concerned about getting the wings stuck in the mud than catching crab pot lines. So far, I have managed to avoid snagging any here in the upper Chesapeake Bay, but while exploring a curvy creek a couple weeks ago, I did cut a corner too close. A few cranks on the swing keel winch, and I was free again.

I am interested in hearing the experiences of those with wing keels re snagging lines.
JoeRobertJr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 18:57   #4

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

What I have been told re muddy groundings is first, to not have them*. Second, if you do have them, use your outboard in reverse alternating hard astern, which will yaw the keel out of the mud. This is opposed to the fin keel technique of heeling the boat, which is a bad idea with a wing because it will push the outer edge of the leeward wing tip further in the mud. Do you buy that advice?

*As obvious as it is unhelpful?
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 19:16   #5

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Cat boat. Simple rig. Roomy below. Centerboard.
Very comfortable.
Even for manatees
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 05:19   #6

Boat: 05 Hunter 44ds

I’ve had fin and wing keel boats. You can get hung up on pots with either. The rest is just to debate IMO. Also, stuck is stuck
Grandwagoneer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:21   #7

In my experience, fin or wing keel, seems to make little difference in how often you catch a crab pot.

And, really, compared to a lot of other places, the Chesapeake just isn't that bad for crab pots. (Try sailing south from Marco Island, FL to the Keys! )
Old 01-06-2021, 07:34   #8

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

A boat with a swing keel or centerboard will be easier to get on the trailer.

Catalina 22 centerboard version comes to mind.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:37   #9

Boat: Beneteau First 47.7

We have a wing keel and sail the chesapeake. Never got hung up on a crab pot. Just pay attention, regardless of keel type. I add that it is quite possible that a wing keel has the advantage of pushing the pot line to the side and out of the way of your propeller, where it would do greatest damage.
Paradoxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:58   #10

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I have a wing keel. The only time I caught a pot was with the rudder. As for grounding in the mud, sometimes reverse doesn't work. Kedging off is the best method, while heeling the boat with the dinghy attached to the main halyard.

I used to have a trailer sailor before my current boat. I really enjoyed the Catalina 22, as well. I chose the Chesapeake and this boat to minimize the launching and breakdown times as well as the prep time. I got tired of camping on the water. You might consider a slightly larger boat (28-30) with improved accomodations below.

I have spent my whole life cruising the chesapeake. If you have any questions, I am happy to help. I spend most of my time from the choptank River North. We are based in Rock hall.

Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:14   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
…really, compared to a lot of other places, the Chesapeake just isn't that bad for crab pots. (Try sailing south from Marco Island, FL to the Keys! )
Been there done that..surprised how deep those (lobster)traps go +/-80 ft in the Gulf on our way to the Dry Tortugas from Marco Island… In the Chesapeake no more than 15-20 ft. for the Crab traps..which about the average depth of the Bay anyways..
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:36   #12

Boat: Bristol 27

The Chesapeake is my main sailing area.

So far (10 years) no problem with crab pots and I've sailed/motored thru a lot of them.

Could be due to my boat's keel and attached rudder.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/bristol-27
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:37   #13

Boat: Catalina 470

As previously mentioned, the crab trap lines are usually in an 'area' but it isn't unusual to see a series of them in a row either. If you snag one, its most likely you either didn't realize you'd entered a zone, or you were in a zone and stopped paying attention for a few minutes. The only time we ever snagged one was when we allowed a guest to steer. That created the no guest can steer in crab trap zones rule.

So you can do whichever keel, since the line will likely foul up your prop and rudder anyway after passing around the keel.

Grounding in the Bay is typically into a muddy bottom, and if you are close to the bottom and still going full speed you've made multiple mistakes. On the presumption of having some sort of depth sounding device aboard you should be able to avoid the bottom by getting nervous and slowing down when it gets close to your keel depth. Going slow increases your chances of backing off if you touch. We had to stop using a shortcut because we could feel we touched mud a few times going through a spot up here near Pleasure Island. Chart says one thing, depth finder and bottom touch tells me the truth.

Best of luck to you in your search! Maybe we'll see ya out there sometime!
glanrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:38   #14

Boat: Seaward 25

We have owned a Catalina 18 and currently own a Seaward 25, both with the wing keel. We have caught a crab pot in the Seaward but I wouldn’t let that keep you from getting the wing keel. On the other hand, the Catalina 18 was a huge pain to get on the trailer compared to the Seaward as the wing always wanted to come in on top of the keel guides. The cabin on the 18 is tiny. A couple can sleep in it but it is not pleasant. The Catalina 22 swing keel is a much more user friendly boat.
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 09:07   #15

Boat: Catalina 22, Ovni 39

Have sailed a cataline 22 swing keel on the chesapeake for 40+ years, and our local fleet had wing and swing keels. My experience, we do not often catch crab pots in either boat. Pulling up the swing keel usually gets the float off. Wing is more work. If the wing grounds, the boat must be pushed/motored backwards. The wing keel is slightly bow down, and just digs in if you try to go forward. Swing you bring up on first grounding. If you ground with it up, you are in 2' of water. In summer, we walk it off. Kedge/motor with heel on also works. For overnight, most Catalina 22s have a poptop, so you can stand in the center walkway in the cabin. Makes a huge difference. The few boats that did not have pop tops were not as happy cruisers. For the bay, the 18' seems a little small. Good luck! Hope to see you on the bay.
tombeau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel