Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2021, 07:46   #16

Re: Winter Shrink Wrap ? Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
I drain all the tanks and leave them.

I used to put antifreeze in the fresh water hoses and foot pumps but gave that up as being useless. I just disconnect and drain them. No ill effects from this change.

I run antifreeze through the vacuuflush head and pump and leave some in the bowel

I sponge and dry the bilge...wooden yawl.

BTW, I pay for indoor non heated storage. This year I put a tarp on because of the pigeons...little bastards.
I leave my water tanks empty no anti freeze. The water that is left freezes but nothing happens.

I used to blow the lines for the sink faucets. One faucet still had water in it and broke. Had to replace it.

I'm surprised at the number of people who put anti freeze into the water tanks, then never use their water tanks for drinking water....
fireman182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 07:49   #17

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I also run antifreeze through everything, no matter how well it can be drained. It's cheap insurance against any water getting trapped somewhere un-detected. I also antifreeze the bilges after pumping them as dry as I can. Usually pump dry, add a bit of the -100 stuff, pump dry again, add a bit more.

My usual water system process is to drain it all, run antifreeze through, then drain the antifreeze. In the spring, I spend the better part of a day flushing out the water system, then sterilize it, then another thorough flush. Then it's ready for use.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 07:55   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I've always put antifreeze through the plumbing. It's not so much to protect the tank, but to protect all the small, tight bits in the pumps and lines.

I drain all the water, then dump just enough back in to circulate through all water systems. Then I pump it all out before sealing things up for the winter. This leaves a risidual in the system that protects things.

I have had pumps freeze and crack when I've not done this. But again, I mostly haul in places where winter is real. My boat is left outside, in the cold (but under a cover).

Yikes ... how big is your boat? I paid 1/2 that for my 40-foot boat. Of course, that was about 12 years ago. Maybe prices have gone up?

Design and construction quality as well, but all boats will face the risk. It's virtually impossible to avoid entirely. As I say, you won't notice the early stages of damage. Once it becomes obvious, the damage will be done.
Prices have gone way up then! But there's not too many people doing custom canvas for boats so they set their price to whatever they want it seems.

Have you had mold issues?

The other side of the coin, while the shrink wrap can protect the outside it essentially turns the inside into a green house with fluctuating temperatures and moisture levels.

Any noticeable harm from mold, mildew or rot?
Old 21-01-2021, 07:58   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman182 View Post
The other side of the coin, while the shrink wrap can protect the outside it essentially turns the inside into a green house with fluctuating temperatures and moisture levels.

Any properly designed covers (shrink wrap or canvas) should have vents in them to allow air exchange. Personally, I also keep damp-rid in the cabin to limit humidity, although the last two winters my boat has been uncovered and indoors (unheated).
Old 21-01-2021, 08:00   #20

Not generally into it, but I could see it keeping leaves etc out of the drains I suppose. I guess some places are cold enough you cant even leave the boat in the water, then it maybe makes sense.
You're probably better to buy a custom canvas cover over time. Although, now days, maybe not at the cost of things!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 08:02   #21

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Anyone know where I can get a reusable cover for my Jeanneau Sun Oddysey 409 (39.3 feet)? Not necessarily looking for this Winter any more, but moreso for 2021-2022 Winter. I'll be happy to give someone some business right now if they're hurting.
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 08:05   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Any properly designed covers (shrink wrap or canvas) should have vents in them to allow air exchange. Personally, I also keep damp-rid in the cabin to limit humidity, although the last two winters my boat has been uncovered and indoors (unheated).
I know from my winter camping days the main problem in a cold tent was moisture.

Expedition 4 season tents are almost entirely made of screen below the top outer cover.

If the total surface area of the tent (excluding the floor) was covered, then up to 75% + was screen for proper ventilation.

Obviously a different scenario considering a person is occupying the tent and creating dampness.

However, moisture remains in a boat long after its covered. I've been in many nice "musky" and damp boats. For whatever reason they never dry out.

What would be the required amount of ventilation ? Would running a dry heater kill some dampness?
Old 21-01-2021, 08:08   #23

Yes, a heater would definitely help. Anything that raises temperature or removes moisture will help keep it dry in there. Keep in mind, if the boat is covered, it warms up in the sun during the day, as more heat gets trapped inside. So that helps keep it a little warmer, and the day vs night temperature change helps it breathe through the vents more as well. As long as there's no significant source of moisture in there, it's not hard to keep it dry enough.

Keep in mind, in a cold, frozen winter, as long as it's dry enough to avoid condensation, you're generally ok. It's a lot harder to grow mold when it's cold than in warm weather.
Old 21-01-2021, 08:09   #24

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Prices have gone way up then! But there's not too many people doing custom canvas for boats so they set their price to whatever they want it seems.

Have you had mold issues?

My cover was custom-made by Genco in Toronto. Cost me $2500, but that also included the aluminum frame and canvas. There were a few others doing this kind of work when I bought ours. Maybe they're all gone?

It's a lot of money, but compared to shrink-wrapping, it is usually cheaper, and less damaging to the environment. Plus the frame lasts forever, so replacing in a decade is cheaper.

Do you mean mold on the cover, or in the boat? I've had neither, but you do have to be careful to store the cover bone-dry. Otherwise I'm sure it will mold quickly, just like any canvas.

One of the great things about a canvas cover is it allows the boat to breathe. It doesn't trap moisture the way plastic does. That is why venting is so critical with shrink-wrapped boats.
Old 21-01-2021, 08:16   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
My cover was custom-made by Genco in Toronto. Cost me $2500, but that also included the aluminum frame and canvas. There were a few others doing this kind of work when I bought ours. Maybe they're all gone?

It's a lot of money, but compared to shrink-wrapping, it is usually cheaper, and less damaging to the environment. Plus the frame lasts forever, so replacing in a decade is cheaper.

Do you mean mold on the cover, or in the boat? I've had neither, but you do have to be careful to store the cover bone-dry. Otherwise I'm sure it will mold quickly, just like any canvas.

One of the great things about a canvas cover is it allows the boat to breathe. It doesn't trap moisture the way plastic does. That is why venting is so critical with shrink-wrapped boats.
You sold me on the canvas. lol. Short term pain for long term gain.

Just not in the budget right now. Maybe the Toronto virtual boat show will have some deals
Old 21-01-2021, 08:17   #26

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

I've been down both roads, some winters shrink wrapping and other winters with just a trap covering the important areas. Shrink wrapping is great and generally protects the boat. I've never been comfortable with the stress it puts on the staunchions. When I was living aboard I would shrink wrap with clear over a large frame.

Shrink wrapping is also expensive. Where I am (Toronto) Shrink wrapping costs me almost $700 per season. a custom frame and cover is about $6-7000 so takes a long time to recoup.

I've chosen to "mix and match" using a metal frame built of EMT similar to a custom frame and cover and cover it with a "silver" agricultural tarp. The frame was $400ish to build and the trap cost me $300, but I get 3+ winters from it .

Keeping snow and ice off the deck helps prolong the life of the gelcoat/paint etc. In my case it also gives me access to the boat in the winter so that I can work on it.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 08:17   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Yes, a heater would definitely help. Anything that raises temperature or removes moisture will help keep it dry in there. Keep in mind, if the boat is covered, it warms up in the sun during the day, as more heat gets trapped inside. So that helps keep it a little warmer, and the day vs night temperature change helps it breathe through the vents more as well. As long as there's no significant source of moisture in there, it's not hard to keep it dry enough.

Keep in mind, in a cold, frozen winter, as long as it's dry enough to avoid condensation, you're generally ok. It's a lot harder to grow mold when it's cold than in warm weather.
Good points. My days of doing winter work on the interior of the boat are over. Probably best to keep it dry for now.
Old 21-01-2021, 08:26   #28

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
You sold me on the canvas. lol. Short term pain for long term gain.

Just not in the budget right now. Maybe the Toronto virtual boat show will have some deals
Might be a good time to haggle. A boat show is always a good excuse for discounts, and I bet all businesses are looking for customers these days.

BTW, I did cover my previous boat with the light blue tarps. I designed and built my own frame using PVC conduit, and then would use the cheap blue tarps as the cover. I usually got about three years out of the tarps. The key was to make the whole thing flexible so it wouldn't rip apart in the wind.

This was pretty cheap option, but I prefer the canvas cover.

One other thing; the custom canvas is great if you're staying in one location, and have a good place to store it. I've been on the move these last five years. And being land-homeless has meant I've had to be creative about how to store it, and how to get it to my new location each season. So far I've managed, but it has been a challenge.
Old 21-01-2021, 08:46   #29

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
I'm near Toronto.

We have freeze thaw cycles with periodic heavy snow falls.

I keep an eye on all these issues and haven't found any. My boat hasn't been covered in well over 10 years of this cycle..
I guarantee you there has been damage done to your boat as a result of not covering it which you don’t know about or haven’t yet found.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 08:54   #30

Boat: Lazy Jack 32

If you are going to cover a boat in a snowy climate, plastic lets snow slide off the slick surface. Otherwise you may need more precautions. I learned that the hard way one winter when I covered my schooner with a tarpaulin and went traveling for a month. When I returned, snow, ice, and hundreds of pounds of rain water had made a pocket in the tarpaulin and collapsed the stainless steel boom gallows. Ouch! What a pain that was to repair. This year I bent 1/2 inch PVC pipes to make frames under the tarpaulin like an old covered wagon. And, of course, with the pandemic, I can get over to check on the boat almost daily. I still prefer a reusable tarpaulin ($100) to paying $300 a year for environmentally unfriendly plastic, though.
Lazy Jack 32 is offline   Reply With Quote