Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2021, 09:01   #31

Boat: Niagara 35
Re: Winter Shrink Wrap ? Why?

In addition to the other benefits already mentioned, if your boat is in a fairly cold winter climate, shrink-wrap makes for a nice working environment. It provides light and radiant heat on a sunny day, as well as, protection from the wind even though it has vents in it. It also makes it possible to do some deck work, like re-bedding hardware since the deck stays dry.
GoAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 09:08   #32

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Might be a good time to haggle. A boat show is always a good excuse for discounts, and I bet all businesses are looking for customers these days.

BTW, I did cover my previous boat with the light blue tarps. I designed and built my own frame using PVC conduit, and then would use the cheap blue tarps as the cover. I usually got about three years out of the tarps. The key was to make the whole thing flexible so it wouldn't rip apart in the wind.

This was pretty cheap option, but I prefer the canvas cover.

One other thing; the custom canvas is great if you're staying in one location, and have a good place to store it. I've been on the move these last five years. And being land-homeless has meant I've had to be creative about how to store it, and how to get it to my new location each season. So far I've managed, but it has been a challenge.

You might find that many canvas makers are already booked up with Covid projects. I've been trying to get a bimini built since last spring and all the Canvas makers (the good ones anyway) were already booked up to spring of 2021 by EARLY LAST SUMMER!!!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 09:21   #33
CLOD

Boat: none

I stopped covering my boat (up near Boston) anD even stopped taking the sails off during the winter. Nothing bad happened!
Old 21-01-2021, 09:32   #34

Boat: Jeanneau 389

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman182 View Post
I looked at a canvas tarp with poles. The quote I got was $5000. The next issue is storage and the hours spend putting it off and on each year.

Maybe the winter freeze/thaw damage is more related to boat design?

My boat has been exposed for 10 years at least. My cockpit is "self bailing". 2 Large drains at the lowest point. All water on deck drain through 2 scuppers on port and starboard. No water intrusion anywhere.

My boat is worth about $50k. The most expensive boat in the yard is a 40 something foot yacht valued at $250k The owner of that gem doesn't cover it at all. Ever.

BUT the Tanzer 22 has shrink wrap on it.

Im baffled.
Where did you get a quote for $5,000? We just got a winter cover from North Shore Canvas for $3,300. Very happy with it. A Jeanneau 389.
cymeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 09:36   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I stopped covering my boat (up near Boston) anD even stopped taking the sails off during the winter. Nothing bad happened!

Up here you'll have a hard time getting shrink wrapped with your rig still up. Most guys won't touch it, and those that do charge a hefty premium if your rig is still up. Here on the great lakes at a lot of marinas and YC's people drop their rig for the winter. My club requires it in order to be hauled out (as we use a crane)
Old 21-01-2021, 09:37   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymeyer View Post
Where did you get a quote for $5,000? We just got a winter cover from North Shore Canvas for $3,300. Very happy with it. A Jeanneau 389.
The OP is near Toronto so we're generally talking in CAD.
Old 21-01-2021, 09:53   #37

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

I am in CT, so snow/freeze/thaw in the winter months, but not as bad as Canada or Boston...bought a 1-yr old faircloth canvas cover for a bristol 38.8 and cut the metal tubing down and shortened the canvas to fit my 35.5 for $1200, new i believe they are $3500...in my 3rd winter of use and guess i should be another 5-7yrs out of it...no mold issue, winter air's too dry...i "visit" my boat every few wks as its 1.5 miles away. I re-center the cover due to wind and tighten poles of metal frame every 1-2months as needed...used to use tarps and there the frame is key - peaked enof for snow/water to run off w/o accumulating and freezing...then a mess. Helped to have two tarps, one over the other....the oldest closest to frame for chafe...the newest on top to prevent any leakage...our yard re-cycles shrink wrap...some owners re-use it multiple years too.
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 09:54   #38

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Jack 32 View Post
If you are going to cover a boat in a snowy climate, plastic lets snow slide off the slick surface. Otherwise you may need more precautions. I learned that the hard way one winter when I covered my schooner with a tarpaulin and went traveling for a month. When I returned, snow, ice, and hundreds of pounds of rain water had made a pocket in the tarpaulin and collapsed the stainless steel boom gallows.
This is definitely true. A proper canvas cover must use a good frame that is set up to shed snow and ice. You can also get waxed canvas which is more water-resistant, but also doesn't breathe as well.

Here's our baby in Newfoundland:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3353.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	395.8 KB
ID:	230786  
Old 21-01-2021, 10:10   #39

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I’ve had a Fairclough canvas cover since 2011. It sits on a 1 1/8” frame and the canvas covers the boat from waterline to waterline from bow to stern. I paid $2,400 for it so it has now amortized over 10 seasons use to $240 annually. I consider it a bargain. Not only does it protect the entire boat from all adverse weather, it also allows me to work on winter projects with protection from all but the cold. I set it up in the fall and take it down in the spring, by myself, and store it in my basement during the sailing season. Once broken down for transportation the entire thing fits in my Outback. I’ve experienced zero mildew issues. It has several clamshell vents and even waterproof canvas allows for some natural ventilation. To date it has withstood early and late season gales and midwinter blizzards with no problems.
https://www.fairclough.com/winter-boat-covers/
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 10:13   #40

Boat: Hunter 40.5 and C+C36

I have used a half way measure for many years. I use an inexpensive CANVAS tarp over the boom. This keeps snow out of the cockpit. I cover the hatches with a plywood lid to stop sun crazing of the acrylic.
My 1981 boat doesn't look older than 60 years.
j.g.evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 10:18   #41

Boat: 2004 Lien Waa 46' custom motorsailer

I am in eastern Long Island NY where we do get hard freezes. I have used all three methods on various boats.

I was a member of The Blue Tarp Society while restoring a Rhodes 33. Despite my best efforts, the wear of the tarp caused me to repaint before I even launched her.

I had a 50' 1941 John Alden designed swordfishing yacht that came with a beautifully fitted canvas cover (she had to stay in the water in winter). That thing weighed almost 200 lbs!
I eventually built a revocable frame on her with an exterior locking doorframe from a house and bought a shrinkwrap gun and shrinkwrap and wrapped her myself. Jamestown Distributors is a great place to get supplies.

Our current 45' motorsailer ketch is shrink-wrapped and out of the water with the sticks up. This boat has a ton of varnish to protect.

I manage a 30,000 ft2 mansion here that has all exterior woodwork in painted mohaghany. The building is not used Nov -April. We now shrinkwrap all railings, porches, and pergolas to avoid freeze thaw damage. We own all the shrink wrap equipment. It has made a huge difference to the painting budget.
Motorsailer4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 10:48   #42

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

At our club here in Wisconsin just about everybody covers. In the spring we bring in a shipping container for the shrink wrap and have it recycled.

The biggest reason I see for covering is the freeze-thaw cycle. A given volume of water expands about 10%; that's why ice floats. That expansion is enough to fracture granite. Imagine what it's doing to your deck and cabin top.

I've always used tarp. I stepped the mast each year and used it as the ridge pole. Lines secured to the mast and led to the toe rail formed 'rafters', kept the tarp from sagging and allow snow/rain to run off. The tarp was held down by a combination of tying it off at various points and 1 gallon milk jugs filled with sand. I also used foam padding at sharp corners to reduce stress points and wearing. It's very important to make sure the tarp cannot flap in the wind. Flapping can cause damage to your boat and any that are adjacent. IMO the biggest cause of tarp failure (if they are properly secured) is sunlight. The UV will degrade them, especially the cheap ones. I always spent the extra and got heavier duty, usually black one side/grey the other. They typically lasted 8-10 years.
garyfdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 10:54   #43

Boat: Bristol 27 #182, MystereS 17' Catamaran #531
Send a message via Skype™ to EarlWer

What about car snow shelters? They would just have to be made higher, perhaps an extra set of legs. They are available in multiple lengths.
We have lots of these in Quebec. They seem rugged enough to stay in place and cover a boat. They would have to be anchored into the ground, etc...
This is the 4th or 5th year with the same shelter and frame for our cars...
Old 21-01-2021, 10:57   #44

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlWer View Post
What about car snow shelters? They would just have to be made higher, perhaps an extra set of legs. They are available in multiple lengths.
We have lots of these in Quebec. They seem rugged enough to stay in place and cover a boat. They would have to be anchored into the ground, etc...
This is the 4th or 5th year with the same shelter and frame for our cars...

I see no reason you couldn't build a giant one of those over the whole boat, given adequate space. Would probably make working on the boat easier too (which is my primary reason for suffering the cost and downsides of indoor storage).
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 10:58   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

$120 for shrink wrap that goes in the recycling bin in spring
$200 for the propane gun in 1994
and we can get creative

My pal Cuddy was the model for this effort
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cuddy Shrink (2).jpg