Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2021, 11:32   #31

Boat: Cal 2-46
Re: With inmast furling do you need a trysail

On one trip to Fiji in storm conditions a crew fell asleep at the helm. Chinese gybe. Damaged boom. Ripped mainsail. Sail got very stuck in the in mast furl. Not good. Flogged the main mercilessly. Storm dropped eventually. At Dawn we managed to Get get up the mast. Perilous in the after swell. Finally Unjammed the main. The trisail was brilliant for the next 600 miles.

Pete
Jimmyhenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 16:07   #32

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I dont think you need a trysail. I have had them twice. But really, you are probably fine without one on normal mainsail boats. The complication, setting up, etc for a very low chance of using it are not worth it.
However on in mast furled boats, there is the risk that you jam the mainsail, especially in wild weather where perfect control while furling in unlikely. . Not sure the trysail helps in this situation if you cant get the main furled either. You need a method to cut the mainsail away somehow.

However, if you use caution, take care, use weather info and plan well the likelihood of getting in a big blow is low.
Weather can sneak up on anyone. With a Mast Furler, it can be managed with proper attention to weather and the control lines, from the cockpit. If you fall asleep at the wheel in the wrong conditions and amount of sail showing, you can get a jibe with any main that will bring the house down.
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 00:52   #33

Boat: Dehler 36 CWS

What about using a trysail to be able to better keep the boat in a heave to position, I don't have one but wonder if it could work better than with the main. I have a rather light displacement fractional sloop rig (Dehler 36 CWS 6 tonnes) with a huge main, anybody has experience heaving to with a trysail in this kind of boat?
Grancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:36   #34

The short answer is YES.
The storm trisail is cut differently than your
In mast main. Not to mention that in mast
Roller furlers do not always work. I’ve seen
A number of them jam and at least one
Break.
sailorman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 18:14   #35

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I have no personal experience with in-mast either, the only time I have seen one in use, it was jammed. But I certainly defer to anyone who has sailed with one many miles without incident. I have only played with my trysail, but just to see how it works. I am pretty sure it would work for heaving to and for making headway, reaching, in rough conditions (though not sure I'd like to be reaching among breaking seas,) and it will preserve the main. But as said, most folks will probably be running when things are trysail-worthy IMO. With a lighter boat especially, I 'spect that would be the preferred option.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 03:27   #36

Boat: Bavaria C57

Thanks all for your opinions. The boat is new and therefore I will not be changing the in mast furling which is proving reliable so far. Time will tell.

All in all whilst you except that in mast provides the ability to reef down to any size a trysail should be on my shopping list as backup to failure of the furling system.
Haddock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 04:03   #37

Boat: 05 Hunter 44ds

These arguments remind me of politics. I’m right, no I’m right. There are pros and cons of both slab reefing and in mast furling. There is no right answer just preference. Let’s just all get along.
Grandwagoneer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 04:21   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandwagoneer0 View Post
These arguments remind me of politics. I’m right, no I’m right. There are pros and cons of both slab reefing and in mast furling. There is no right answer just preference. Let’s just all get along.

I think the great majority of people in this thread would agree with this. Of course it's just preference.

Strong prejudices against one or the other system are almost exclusively found among those with little or no experience with that system.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:46   #39
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I think the great majority of people in this thread would agree with this. Of course it's just preference.

Strong prejudices against one or the other system are almost exclusively found among those with little or no experience with that system.

I’m bought a stack pack but I’d prefer in mast. , so I’ve got experience both but would prefer the system I don’t have
Old 09-12-2021, 06:24   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I’m bought a stack pack but I’d prefer in mast. , so I’ve got experience both but would prefer the system I don’t have

I think most people who have a fair amount of experience with both systems know that each system has its own strong points and neither system sucks.

For a boat like yours, I would definitely prefer a full batten main to in-mast, but either one, if properly set up, maintained, and operated, works fine.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 09-12-2021, 06:45   #41
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I think most people who have a fair amount of experience with both systems know that each system has its own strong points and neither system sucks.

For a boat like yours, I would definitely prefer a full batten main to in-mast, but either one, if properly set up, maintained, and operated, works fine.
The current set up is partial batten , teh next upgrade is full with seldon exterior cars

still prefer in-mast, I dont like boats where I have to go to the mast to reef if I can avoid it as Im shorthanded, my single line reefing "mostly " pulls the sail down , but its not always perfect , Im going to add a sperate downhaul anyway

as you say its preference, Ive never had issues with in-mast , do a bit of service , roll up with clew tension , never had issues
Old 09-12-2021, 11:05   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The current set up is partial batten , teh next upgrade is full with seldon exterior cars

still prefer in-mast, I dont like boats where I have to go to the mast to reef if I can avoid it as Im shorthanded, my single line reefing "mostly " pulls the sail down , but its not always perfect , Im going to add a sperate downhaul anyway

as you say its preference, Ive never had issues with in-mast , do a bit of service , roll up with clew tension , never had issues
Selden batt cars are costly! But worth every penny. I wouldn't have a normal reefing main without them. Friction is the enemy, whether in-mast or regular reefing.
Walt Whitman

Tags
furling, mast, sail