Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2015, 18:30   #61

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter
Re: World cruising boat for a couple, 2 dogs under 180k USD?

Nellos,

The asking price for the boat was $425,000.00US. The selling price of the boat was $235,000.00US and included about 5 pages of items to be repaired by the seller. As well, the decks were replaced as well as recored for an additional 85k due to the fact that the teak was nailed down instead of glued. Hard to imagine anyone doing this in 1999. We then spent another 40k to refit the interior forward of the main salon as well as later on performing all the upgrades that I previously mentioned. (This was a steal as in the US it would have been double.)

the surveyor charged me $800.00 US a day and spent about a week. Because we flew him from Ft. Lauderdale to Asia we obviously covered his travel and expenses so in the end it probably cost us about 15k - 20k. Would have been a kicker if we hadn't been able to close the deal.

Prior to this opportunity we had looked at boats in the Netherlands and Croatia but we were only looking at CT 56's as this was the boat that we wanted due to the aft master cabin. As there were only 13 of these boats built (lots of 54's but these were our 2nd choice) there weren't many to look at.

The seller was motivated to sell as he was building a 126' wood hulled ketch and needed the money. In the end he went bankrupt and had to sell that boat as well. It was a beautiful boat though as he had purchased a forest track in Borneo to be able to mill all the teak. The financial crisis in 2009 probably also worked in our favour but I do not think prices have recovered much since then except maybe in the US itself were things were really bad. Back then lots of people were just walking away and handing the keys to the banks.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 19:11   #62

Boat: Brent Swain design 36' steel sloop

just a thought on cats--my wife loved our 36 foot wharram because it was so stable in bad weather. when people were aboard a usual comment when coming up from cooking in the galley was something like " Holy S----, it didn't feel rough down below--when did all this start??". she could sit in the mid point in the roughest spots we anchored in and not feel any pitch. Plus one could calmly walk about adjusing sails etc--no drama. i love monohulls too!!!! Just my 2 cents. Check out Scott Brown Multihulls.
sunbear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:11   #63

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Suggestion... ditch the pooches. You are not doing them any favour at all taking them to sea.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:03   #64
Armchair Bucketeer

$180k is enough to buy a nice 50 footer.... But also enough to buy a higher than average heap of pain ($$$).

Caveat Emptor!

Sent from my NEXUS 5 whilst sitting in my armchair tied to the dock.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, dogs