Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2019, 11:23   #91

Boat: Catalina 28 mkII
Re: Would You Buy a Hans Christian 33?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurwg View Post
I want an HC33. Love the looks, long waterline, short overhangs, heavy displacement and Pullman birth. Also like the shower stall and the head forward. I hate V-births. But I also hate all that exterior wood trim and teak decks. I'm lazy and don't want a maintenance nightmare or waterlogged decks. They can also get rot in the bow sprit and the Samson posts , and I would much prefer external chainplates. Yes, I know they are slow in light airs but good sails can help that. So would you buy one?
Hans Christian is a dream boat for sure. A friend of mine has a Hans Christian and about 7 years ago I volunteered to help him with his biennial varnishing. I said yes. It took us 2 weeks!! After it was done I was cured of wanting a Hans Christian . If I had buckets of money and could hire someone to do all the work then I'd probably get one .
amandak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 16:30   #92

Anyone who wants an in-depth idea what it's like to rebuild an HC33, have a look at S/V Prism's "260 Days of Our Hans Christian 33 Refit" on their blog. They fixed and replaced everything and then some. Turned an $80,000 boat into a $300,000 yacht. Did it all themselves.
Arthurwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:25   #93

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcfirstlight View Post
Ok, thanks for the correction. Our 1984 33 has solid glass hull and decks. What is your hull number?
My 1988 is hull number 145. One of the last 10-12 built.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:35   #94

"If I had buckets of money and could hire someone to do all the work then I'd probably get one ."

Lazy folks can simply slosh on a multiple of coats of varnish and then use porch stain to have a good UV water proof surface.

When selling he boat the next owner will find the old varnish easy to get to to refinish .
FAST FRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:02   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurwg View Post
Anyone who wants an in-depth idea what it's like to rebuild an HC33, have a look at S/V Prism's "260 Days of Our Hans Christian 33 Refit" on their blog. They fixed and replaced everything and then some. Turned an $80,000 boat into a $300,000 yacht. Did it all themselves.
lovely boats yes ....but problems will be to find a buyer who will pay that amount of money for it?

Best to just keep it and maintain it.

Psy at SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:08   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psy at SEA View Post
lovely boats yes ....but problems will be to find a buyer who will pay that amount of money for it?

Owners say it's a keeper.
Arthurwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:29   #97

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psy at SEA View Post

It is quite common and easy to put more money into a boat then one will ever get out of it.

We have spent at least 3 times as much as our original $90,000 purchase price on refits (not including monthly and annual maintenance) and now carry the boat on our books at $73,000 and would feel lucky to get that. Of course that is mostly due to the age and general undesirability of our vessel. A HC33 might be a more desirable boat to many. On the other hand an older, Asian built boat with a lot of wood, could easily soak up money.

Bottom line, a cruising boat is not a good investment and the best way to keep from losing too much money is to buy a boat which is ready to go and don't upgrade anything.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:35   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
It is quite common and easy to put more money into a boat then one will ever get out of it.

I think it's more of a rule.

Depends on how closely the owner looks at what they're spending.

Boats cost a percentage of their value to maintain on a yearly basis if the owner is doing it right. And if they're not doing it right, they're sucking the value out of the boat and eventually won't be able to use it for it's purpose.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2019, 02:46   #99

Shipwright and composite tech who has worked for some of the largest production boat builders in Australia and SE. If you are looking for a boat to live aboard as a couple and cross oceans then its hard to beat a a HC33. Overbuilt in all areas, full keel and cutter rig they tick all the boxes I want cruising and passage making shorthanded. As with any boat its age it may require considerable work to bring it back to Bristol depending on the maintanance undertaken by previous.owner. I don't consider the maintenance a hassle at all in fact I love working on the boat and doing my best to keep her looking like she just rolled out of the factory. Setup with a monitor wind vane she sales so true its uncanny and her ability to heave too in huge seas and large gales make her a seaman delight.
HansChristian33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 11:59   #100

Boat: Lord Nelson 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJWEENZ View Post
As a long time former owner of a Lord Nelson 41 built in the same yard (and from many of the same molds by the same workers) I’ll try to add my .02.....

Maintained and finished to yacht standards you will receive more compliments in a marina on her appearance then any other boat of similar size.

As mentioned previously, built like a tank with comparable maneuverability.

You gotta love wood finishing.

Designed for crossing oceans, not lakes.

Docking one is, err, exciting.

Going offshores? Good boat. Going costal? Give it some thought.

Mike

I considered HC until I saw my Lord Nelson 41 on the hard. I single hand... and considered she was too heavy for my strength... I was wrong, the balanced rudder and full keel is comfortable. Docking... if I could only see the bowsprit when making that last turn alongside @@
Letting my exterior teak go gray, removed teak decks, retained teck cabin top panels.
Telemark43 is offline   Reply With Quote