Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2019, 10:19   #1

X-Yachts

Hello everyone.

I have lurked here for a while but finally decided to join you guys as this board is a wealth of information.

I am slowly planning my possible boat purchase in a few years. Right now I am just doing research and trying to learn as much as possible.

There are a few boats which I like the size and look of, but I specifically waned to ask you about X-Yachts specifically. I tried to search this board and internet but there is very little information from owners concerning this brand of boat.

I am looking at the XC38 or the XC45. What do you guys thing about the quality and water sailing">blue water sailing capabilities of this manufacturer? Are they a European Catalina equivalent or more sea worthy blue water cruiser and not just a coastal cruiser?

Just wanted to get some of your opinions on X-Yachts in general as I cant seem to find many owner experiences anywhere.

Thanks.
Aarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:30   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 375
Re: X-Yachts

I have never sailed on an X-boat, but they appear to be roughly the European equivalent of a J-boat. Maybe slightly better interior finish.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:37   #3

Thanks for bringing this forward. We are in a very similar place. We have looked at several and can assure you the build quality appears to be much higher than most production boats including the one you mentioned. The challenge is that you pay for it and if looking for used are hard to find. We are looking at the xc35 or possibly a used xc38 but again hard to find used and the whole XC line is relatively new so prices reflect this. IMNSHO X build quality is up there with HR and I particularly like the way they join keel structure to hull and rigging.

All that noted we too have found limited online resources.
SV-Viento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:39   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy stone View Post
I have never sailed on an X-boat, but they appear to be roughly the European equivalent of a J-boat. Maybe slightly better interior finish.

The XC series is a bit more cruising oriented than J Boats, or the other X-Yachts lines.

Around my area (Long Island). X-Yachts have a very good reputation as fast, comfortable boats.

I was very much interested in the XP-38 when I was boat shopping, but it was out of my price range. The XC series is a step down in performance from the XP, and a step up in comfort/cruising.

I like the European sensibility of a fast boat that is still comfortable to cruise.

I also like the steel grid in the hull instead of a laminated grid.
svenskflicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:40   #5

Quote:
I own a J and now looking at an x. Absolutely love our j but build quality of the X is an entirely different level - as noted above you pay for it.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:54   #6

Thank you for all the responses. You guys are right when it comes to the price. A Catalina 445 vs the XC45 is a big difference. I am hoping that they will be at the Annapolis boat show this fall so that I can go and see them in person.
Aarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 15:30   #7

Quote:
Slightly better? Having sailed both j boats and X yachts I would say the X is in a different league. Much better quality and finish. Then again they cost a lot more.
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:45   #8

Boat: Sabre 402

Have been impressed by how carefully conceived everything is on X-Yachts. Gear is sized appropriately - and strong. Layouts are right for crew to be able to handle sails without interfering with one another. Cockpit is comfortable, decks are wide. Joinery is done well. The designers and builders actually seem to sail, and it shows.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 14:21   #9

Boat: Seafarer36c

When we were is San Fran, the boat next to us was an X-38. One day they got pooped in the Potato Patch with the companionway open. Turns out there is no bilge in that boat. There was so much water in the boat the start key with the little floatie, floated away.
I never saw him sail that boat again, he sold it.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 15:03   #10

Hi,

My friend ordered XC45 mk2 in 2015 and took delivery in 2016.
I was with him on hand over in Denmark, on delivery passage, local races and cruises and here are my observations:
- from the words of X-yachts director when we had yard tour on delivery - XP models are about 15% faster than XC, but you have to be 25-30% more experienced crew and work that much harder to derive that performance out of the boat.
- the boat assembled in Denmark, but hulls and decks are hand-laminated in Poland on Delphia boatyard, more on this below.

Positive things about XC 45:
- deep V hull shape makes sea motion very cofortable even in head winds and waves conditions
- ballast ratio is very high thus boat is very stiff and sails very well in strong winds and demanding sea conditions
- the boat is really fast even comparing to XP. We raced it locally under ORC rules and become 3rd overall in Cyprus championship
- greate sail locker (with stupid locks) and cockpit lockers, very though out for cruising and storage, convenient cockpit layout and stern platform
- very good sprayhood (my friend took with solid gass windshiels) and bimini
- properly sized deck gear, blocks and winches are up to the task and loads, no failure or issues since delivery

Negative things:
- hull and deck hand lamnated in Poland. Thus boat is heavier than could be if vacuum infused + has a number of issues like - gelcoat cracked in a number of places on deck, though no oboius stress loads in these places, hull and deck has yellowish spots not removable by polish. We tend to blame hand processes.
- making hulls in Poland could be cheaper than in Denmark, but delivering them by track to Denmark for assembly defenetely adds to the price
- from the beginning the boat had a number of electrical glitches, led lights were replaced several times during first weeks, thankfully the yard gave as a lot of spares right on the next day upon delivery, when half of salon lights packed off and we came with a complaint
- seackocks were leaking right from the first splash. Boat was lifted hours after launchng to rebed some seackocks. Still some making small leaks and my friend rebedding or replacing them on each haul out
- main salon configuration is not flexible and comfortable, sofas are too rectangular, desk is fixed , thus not versatile
- some issues with woodwork
- much apprised lead keel in epoxy encapsulation developed several large blisters this season and needs repair and teatment with special materials (boatyard promised to cover this cost)
- the last issue happened just several days ago after we cruised from Cyprus to Israel and back and happily just returned - the boat has 2 fuel tanks - main under salone sole and consumption (about 90 litres) in the engine compartment just above the engine. This consumption engine has 2 fuel level sensors - top and bottom. Appeared that they are just plugged into the tank with rubber seals . We found it the hard way - these rubber pluges gradually dissolved in diesel fuel after 3 years, sensors fell off and the remainder of fuel (about 20-30) litres just splashed into the engine bay. Luckily the tank was not full, but all noise insulation in the engine bay is soaked and had to be removed and the fuel to be cleaned manually out of the bay. If tank was full we would have much more damage , including salone area.

Conclusion - greate and seaworthy boat when bought second-hand with issues and glitches sorted out. If bought new for over 600k Euro is somewhat disappointing (even comparing to his previous Hanse 400 and my Bavaria 30), as big part of these money seems went to high local labour rates and taxes and costly logistic.
EdCyprus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 04:45   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Aarius.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 21:41   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCyprus View Post
Hi,

I was with him on hand over in Denmark, on delivery passage, local races and cruises and here are my observations:
- from the words of X-yachts director when we had yard tour on delivery - XP models are about 15% faster than XC, but you have to be 25-30% more experienced crew and work that much harder to derive that performance out of the boat.
- the boat assembled in Denmark, but hulls and decks are hand-laminated in Poland on Delphia boatyard, more on this below.

Positive things about XC 45:
- deep V hull shape makes sea motion very cofortable even in head winds and waves conditions
- ballast ratio is very high thus boat is very stiff and sails very well in strong winds and demanding sea conditions
- the boat is really fast even comparing to XP. We raced it locally under ORC rules and become 3rd overall in Cyprus championship
- greate sail locker (with stupid locks) and cockpit lockers, very though out for cruising and storage, convenient cockpit layout and stern platform
- very good sprayhood (my friend took with solid gass windshiels) and bimini
- properly sized deck gear, blocks and winches are up to the task and loads, no failure or issues since delivery

Negative things:
- hull and deck hand lamnated in Poland. Thus boat is heavier than could be if vacuum infused + has a number of issues like - gelcoat cracked in a number of places on deck, though no oboius stress loads in these places, hull and deck has yellowish spots not removable by polish. We tend to blame hand processes.
- making hulls in Poland could be cheaper than in Denmark, but delivering them by track to Denmark for assembly defenetely adds to the price
- from the beginning the boat had a number of electrical glitches, led lights were replaced several times during first weeks, thankfully the yard gave as a lot of spares right on the next day upon delivery, when half of salon lights packed off and we came with a complaint
- seackocks were leaking right from the first splash. Boat was lifted hours after launchng to rebed some seackocks. Still some making small leaks and my friend rebedding or replacing them on each haul out
- main salon configuration is not flexible and comfortable, sofas are too rectangular, desk is fixed , thus not versatile
- some issues with woodwork
- much apprised lead keel in epoxy encapsulation developed several large blisters this season and needs repair and teatment with special materials (boatyard promised to cover this cost)
- the last issue happened just several days ago after we cruised from Cyprus to Israel and back and happily just returned - the boat has 2 fuel tanks - main under salone sole and consumption (about 90 litres) in the engine compartment just above the engine. This consumption engine has 2 fuel level sensors - top and bottom. Appeared that they are just plugged into the tank with rubber seals . We found it the hard way - these rubber pluges gradually dissolved in diesel fuel after 3 years, sensors fell off and the remainder of fuel (about 20-30) litres just splashed into the engine bay. Luckily the tank was not full, but all noise insulation in the engine bay is soaked and had to be removed and the fuel to be cleaned manually out of the bay. If tank was full we would have much more damage , including salone area.

Conclusion - greate and seaworthy boat when bought second-hand with issues and glitches sorted out. If bought new for over 600k Euro is somewhat disappointing (even comparing to his previous Hanse 400 and my Bavaria 30), as big part of these money seems went to high local labour rates and taxes and costly logistic.
Very helpful response as we continue to consider the XC 35/38. Given your response do you think the owner would make the same purchase again? I also wonder if the concerns you noted with the hull build have been resolved with the move, by the hull manufacture, to epoxy based hulls which I believe started in 2018 (I could be wrong on the date).

I also agree with your assessment to purchase a used boat with the kinks worked out but you still have to find that boat.
Old 23-08-2023, 23:03   #13

Boat: Najad 490 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCyprus View Post
Hi,

Any updates to above since 2019? Any more issues found?

We are looking for a 42-48' boat like the XC and now it seems like 2nd hand market is cooling rapidly.

/k
kaz911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2023, 04:10   #14

Boat: X442

Quote:
Originally Posted by model 10 View Post
When we were is San Fran, the boat next to us was an X-38. One day they got pooped in the Potato Patch with the companionway open. Turns out there is no bilge in that boat. There was so much water in the boat the start key with the little floatie, floated away.
I never saw him sail that boat again, he sold it.
It's an old post but anyway - these 'omissions': companionway open in challenging conditions, no bilge, key floating away, are X specific?

Nothing wrong with an X, mine is my first and last. Granted the 442 is a bit more in line with the 80's design trends while the latest XC range takes into consideration the modern cruiser's needs, build quality I imagine is more or less the same. If not even better today.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2023, 12:30   #15

In addition to the XC series, you should look at the Long Cruise line from Grand Soleil. Very similar design philosophy.
silvercreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht