Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2023, 09:41   #1

Boat: The search is on
X-Yachts 412

I am curious if anyone has owned, or sailed, an X-Yachts 412 and has any experience they can share on it. I'm not quite ready to purchase a sailboat, but I have an opportunity on a 2001 412 that I can't ignore. If not, it may be helpful if anyone has experience with X-Yachts in general.
edeckerpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2023, 18:38   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: X-Yachts 412

X-yachts in general are well-built and well thought out. They can be quick, but getting them to sail to their full potential is not necessarily simple. Backstay tension, sail shape and trim can all have major impacts. It helps to know what you're doing. There are rewards if you do it right.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2023, 02:38   #3

Boat: X442

I think the 412/442/482 X-Yachts range is the best X-Yachts produced: good looking cruiser/racers typical of the 80's and early 90's. Despite owning a 442 myself I also think the 412 has the best proportions in that range. If I ever find the 442 becomes too big for me, I would step one size down to the 412.

Since the 412, etc period X-Yachts has shifted the focus somewhat to the affluent cruiser market whereby space has taken a more central role. Performance still good but the modern X just has a lot more width carried both forward and aft. And there is now also the X-Power line which the CEO of X told me is a reflection of what people want these days...

If you want sailing performance then you cannot go wrong with an X-412. Speaking from experience with my X-442 and having sailed many other yachts as well as dinghies I would say my X comes closest to the dinghy experience. It's fun, fast but also wet. Why it's wet becomes obvious when moored in the Med and I compare my bow to all the other bows: the X seems to be low and mean while all the other yachts have much fuller bows, bigger clearance, more comfort, less performance. So that's a trade off.

Structurally I am very pleased to have that galvanized frame down below on which the mast stands, to which the keel is bolted and which takes all the forces from the shrouds. As a result it is possible to really tension up the rig and not be limited to what the (plastic) hull can stand. And running aground is not an immediate structural issue.

On the whole I chose the performance combined with 90's levels of comfort and happy to be able to use decent speeds when passage planning. I really enjoy the sailing experience and the family also appreciates faster progress on longer passages.

So the main plus points of this X is performance, strength and aesthetics. Downside is not as roomy as more modern designs and of course this X is as susceptible to poor maintenance as any other boat.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2023, 05:41   #4
NBs

Boat: NT37

Hi,

are highly regarded around here, well built and excellent performance. I don't know the ability of blue water, but they have been certified for a long time CE-A, "ocean."

Nbs
NBs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht