Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2017, 17:29   #1

Boat: 2005, Dufour 38.5
yacht opinions

HI,

After everyones OPINION on QUALITY. ( i know there is no right or wrong here, just a general feel) on different monohulls

Beneteau
Jenneau
dufour
barvaria
elan
grand soleil
maybe rate 1 - 6.
1 being best over all.

cheers
Ausluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 18:09   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 375
Re: yacht opinions

Good grief. You aren't trying to start WW3 or anything, are you? At least the first four manufacturers you listed have been in business for decades, and produced a total of hundreds of different models. It is completely impossible to give any kind of general rankings, you would have to get more specific in regards to models and production years.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 05:38   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausluke View Post
HI,

After everyones OPINION on QUALITY. ( i know there is no right or wrong here, just a general feel) on different monohulls

Beneteau
Jenneau
dufour
barvaria
elan
grand soleil
maybe rate 1 - 6.
1 being best over all.

cheers
Welcome Aboard CF!

I see you recently joined and this is your first post.

The best you can do is some personal research, and part of that takes time to read the various opinions and comments on the Boats. The more opinions and anecdotes you read, the better. The best come from personal experience on the boats, but that is unlikely to be found in any one person, given the wide range of brands and models.

Here is a start. You can read in the CF Archives about Beneteau boats. Some of the threads have direct comparisons to Jeanneau and other brands.

Some issues include manufacturing quality, value, performance, features, safety, etc. you will find much to consider, if you take the time to read the threads. Click any of the following links to find the answers.

-----------------

BENETEAU

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...eau&gsc.page=1
--------

JEANNEAU
https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...eau&gsc.page=1

-------------

BAVARIA

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...ria&gsc.page=1
----------------

DUFOUR

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...our&gsc.page=1

--------------

ELAN

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...lan&gsc.page=1
---------------

GRAND SOLEIL

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...eil&gsc.page=1
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 06:37   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

These are all plastic paper boats you named. All are know to have had issues. All are known to have sailed far and out.

What you probably want is to find a nice, sound unit of any of them. Preferably of the years and series that did not show any obvious weaknesses.

You may be able to get more accurate responses if you mention specific rather than generic boats.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 07:35   #5

Boat: Currently in between

Agree completely with Barnakiel, some good and some bad with all of them.

I think you try them on for size, find which one you like, research it for years that had big cons and look for one in the 'better' years. Oonce you have a specific year you can go looking for the pros and and more minor cons.
Old 16-05-2017, 12:51   #6

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausluke View Post
HI,

Beneteau
Jenneau
dufour
barvaria
elan
grand soleil
maybe rate 1 - 6.
1 being best over all.

cheers
It is not a fair comparison, I mean Grand Soleil size by size costs almost 2 times the price of a Jeanneau, Beneteau Dufour or Bavaria. If they were not better built they would be out of business for a long time.

Elan costs just a bit more than the main mass production group but its building techniques and materials are better. I would put Elan on the same group of Salona and Dehler in what regards building quality/materials/techniques.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 10:36   #7

Boat: Amel 50

Do you really expect to get valuable answer from people who has written more than 16000 posts in 6-7 years? What gives average 5-6 posts every single day. When had they time to sail all the boats so they have such strong opinions?
Try to find final users what is not so easy as they sail in real not on the forum.
Plastic boats like B473, B Idylle, Grand Soleil are proven Water boats">blue water boats.
Freshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 12:58   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
It is not a fair comparison, I mean Grand Soleil size by size costs almost 2 times the price of a Jeanneau, Beneteau Dufour or Bavaria. If they were not better built they would be out of business for a long time.

Elan costs just a bit more than the main mass production group but its building techniques and materials are better. I would put Elan on the same group of Salona and Dehler in what regards building quality/materials/techniques.
I'm in general agreement with Polux, the 4 high production boats are all very similar, built to similar quality standards and represent the entry level of new sailboats. Grand Soleil is in a completely different league and should not be compared either in price or quality.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht