Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2021, 16:37   #1

Yanmar 3JH2 Replacement

Good evening.

I have a newly purchased Cabo Rico 36 that I just had trucked to Green Cove Springs in Jax. The engine is a Yanmar 3JH2 that is smoking quite a bit, leaking a TON of oil and is supported by 4 severely rusted motor mounts. It has about 2800 hours, but has probably on run 3-5 hours in the last several years. For those not familiar with the engine, the impeller is located on the port side behind the alternator, a giant hassle to change.

With all that, I am going to replace the engine. I am looking between the new Yanmar 3jh40 and the Beta 38. I’ve read the concerns with the Yanmar Common Rail diesel, and I love the Beta engines, we installed one in our last boat and it was great. The issue is that the Beta will be close to $20k, the Yanmar will be around $14k. I’m having a hard time talking myself into another 6k for the Beta. I’m in Florida and will be doing some local sailing plus some forays into the Bahamas etc, but not much more.

Does anyone have any real experience with the Yanmar 3JH40? Pros or cons? I can’t find anything online, and the forums have a bunch of folks trashing the Yanmar without any first hand knowledge.

I appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Adam
Orion35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:36   #2

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33
Re: Yanmar 3JH2 Replacement

I would not put a common-rail diesel in my sailboat. I'd rebuild the 3JH2 and stock up on spare parts for it.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:25   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Changing from one engine design to another can be a BIG problem. The stringers are wrong, the mounts are in the wrong places, the hoses have to be re-routed, the control cables have to be replaced and rerouted, the engine compartment is too small; it goes on forever.

I recommend that you follow lowcountry's advice, or replace with another 3JH2. If you replace it, the old engine is your parts warehouse.
Old 12-02-2021, 14:31   #4

Boat: twinkeels, 9m

okay for installation concerns, hence the high cost...
the yanmar has higher rated output at lower rated speed, better for me.
all car engines have a common rail now, the real the concern is diesel filtration quality (water)

./.
bil56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2024, 19:38   #5

I am looking for a crank and rods for a 3JH 2CE yanmar. It's a three cylinder diesel with a sail drive.
man goes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 11:11   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by man goes View Post
I am looking for a crank and rods for a 3JH 2CE yanmar. It's a three cylinder diesel with a sail drive.
No connecting rods, but here is a crankshaft listed for sale:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275057167591
Rowboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, yanmar