Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2016, 07:38   #1

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
12.6 Knots!

I haven't been sailing much since I purchased my tri in November. Here in the PNW there are 3 types of weather: rain, calm and fog. I would take the boat out and motor mostly or put the sails up in 4 knots of wind and not do too much of anything. I always had something else to do on the few good days. Yesterday was different. We had decent winds and a really warm day for us. We were sailing on a broad reach doing a consistent 10 knots and a gust came and we were in the 12s for awhile with a top speed of 12.6! The boat handled great.

I had a my marina neighbor helping me. He was the captain. He confirmed my suspicions that this boat just has too much rigging. It's set up for racing with a crew of racers who want or need all this stuff. I counted 19 lines and that's a big mess trying to keep straight in that little cockpit. There is a non structural baby stay and halyard that's just in the way. I don't have a storm jib that fits there and am not planning on buying one soon so that could be removed. There are also running backstays that could go depending on how the spinnaker loads the mast. I haven't put that sail up yet. The standing rigging is overbuilt with traditional mono rigging to the center hull (vaka) and then there are shrouds also running to the outside of the amas. I'm thinking that mast won't move a bit and the running backstays won't do much if anything. They are non-structural in their current configuration.

I used to have 2 topping lifts but one came loose yesterday. The hook that goes in the mast top pulled free somehow. My buddy says there is a rubber grommet that it fits into up there. I haven't been able to find this part. Does anyone know what this is?
Old 23-01-2016, 08:38   #2

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'
Re: 12.6 Knots!

I'd keep the rigging for awhile before you change it. Is the babystay at least 1/2 way up the mast? A staysail is a good thing, it goes on when the furler shape gets too baggy as it rolls up. The running backs usually are attached at the same point to support the loads and can also stop mast pumping when blasting to windward over big waves. After a season or 2 you'll figure out what you need. Spinnakers are great up here because of the long runs.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 13:57   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Well done sand crab, as one of your country men - Dick Newick said, Sailing is about having fun, and its always more fun to go faster.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 14:52   #4
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

😁😁😁😁😁 probably the look on your face!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 15:58   #5

Boat: Traditional 30

I would get a rigger to look at your boat before you remove anything. He will be able to calculate the loads at each point along the mast.

You may find the baby stay handy in the future when trying to induce prepend to flatten the main in heavier weather. As far as the runners are concerned, without the advice of a rigger, definitely dont remove them if you plan on using the kite.

As far as the other lines are concerned, rather then just removing them, you could take them back to the mast and leave them coiled there for a season. Then if you need them, they will be accessible. Once you remove them from the mast, they will be a pain to re-run. Either that or simply buy some deeper cockpit bags and leave them be.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 17:51   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

For running rigging I never take it out of the mast. It is just to much of a pain to replace if you ever decide to replace it. But taking the halyards out and replacing then with chase lines (1.75mm dyneema) is a good idea. It's cheap enough to throw away, and helps keep down the line clutter.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 18:29   #7

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Best addition to my Dragonfly rigging was a Boomkicker 1500.
Ditch the topping lift(s) if you can.

Boomkicker
Have fun going fast !

Steve

Mae West
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 21:17   #8

Gotta say - sail the boat more before making too many changes! And have fun!

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:52   #9

Boat: Imexus 28, Malcolm Tennant 46 Timeliner cat

I was in the opposite move-was going to add rigging..Then a smart advise came : "Don't harry!". Was about to spend $$$ for spinaker pole, finally happy with just a bridle $$. So,better wait.
YARGESOL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knot